BX 17 TZD turbo K405 BMO

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
HZman
Confirmed BX'er

BX 17 TZD turbo K405 BMO

Post by HZman »

Now sitting in my garage (the car, not me!) awaiting starter motor that works, after bump-starting to get it here (it was fine when I viewed it). Unfortunately couldn't find the spears previously referred to in various posts.
The £200 mentioned to restore the vehicle to almost concourse condition is slightly optimistic. I had viewed it the day before buying and marvelled at the way the photos had by-passed the ding in the offside wing - although, to be fair, it was mentioned by the guy I bought it off and the previous 'proper' owner (Gavin on the posts but Graham on the registration document) I located 2 red wings before buying - and a steering wheel for those who seem distressed about the one fitted (free to anyone that wants it - not including postage!).
The paintwork is not brilliant, hence changing the nearside wing due to heavy scratching, but it keeps the rain out.
All it needs now, assuming the new starter is the problem (it is the only thing left ) is the tacho to get working, a new rheostat for the heater fan (it has an on/off switch wired in), the electric wing mirrors sorting (or binning - the offside is manual and the nearside electric but doesn't work), door switches sorting so the interior lights work, one wheel trim - have put one of the 4 hole jobs on so will probably fly off although I have put 3 wheel nuts in after fitting, a spare wheel, a jack, bonnet to re-align, handbrake lever rubber to renew, cambelt to check/renew as no paperwork, rear nearside bumper to sort and see why it droops, tailgate to adjust so mit actually closes, tailpipe to check to see how it got back in the bumper cut-out. Oh! and some sort of radio to connect to the bits of wire hanging about.
In short, once it starts by itself, it is driveable and the rest is 'nice to have' and cosmetic. I think!
Mothman

Re: BX 17 TZD turbo K405 BMO

Post by Mothman »

Welcome to the club bud,

i hope she has an MOT and at least you can drive her for a while and we would also love to see some piccies.
Damned things do go wrong though which is hardly unexpected for 20 + year old motors.

However, you have come across a great website that will give you loads of help and info into maintaining your motor and for the life of me i dont know how i managed to type a sensible sentance this time of night, especially a Friday[corrections took ages].

they all take a bit of care but good luck.

Andy
HZman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by HZman »

Very good corrections - just missed out on changing the 'a' for an 'e' in 'sentence'.
MOT til Jan 2014
I have the 19 TXD which does about 25,000 a year and the 19 GTI, of which I am the 2nd owner, which hasn't managed 55,000 yet.

Peter
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Welcome Peter! I think with some tlc it will make a great car!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Hi Peter and welcome to the club. Hope you beat the quick-buck merchant down a few quid off his asking price?
HZman wrote:...and a steering wheel for those who seem distressed about the one fitted (free to anyone that wants it - not including postage!).
Whack it on ebay! I rather think that steering wheel would keenly sought after by a boy racer type with a Saxo - they'd have no idea about hydropneumatic suspension and single spoke steering wheels. Course, chances are, it won't fit...

Anyway, good luck with the remedial work - looks like you have a subtantial 'to do' list already figured out.
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
HZman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by HZman »

Thanks for that. I paid well under the asking price.

Does anyone know this vehicle. The inside of the offside rear light is broken and the rim around the boot in that area seems to be bent outwards. The bumper droops (as was shown in the photos) and the tailgate won't shut - I thought it was but didn't realise how heavy it is! It must have had a strange thump on the back end somewhere. Might be more serious than I thought but knowing what caused it would make it easier to figure it out.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

The TZD should only have 1 electric mirror, the passenger side only which should have a blanking plate covering the hole. The drivers side will be a standard manual one.
The electric one could have had its plug come adrift inside the door card, only one way to check that.
Could be the same with the controls. Just means going through everything.
Any piccies?

Andy
HZman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by HZman »

Thanks Andy,

That saves me trying to replace a mirror that wasn't there in the first place! Wil put some piccies on soon.

My assumpton of a defective starter motor was completely wrong. There is no power to the solenoid so I am now starting it with a piece of wire between the battery positive and the solenoid. Once running it is fine except the ABS light stays on.
Having removed and cleaned the gearbox negative earth and the small one and the push in connector's just down from the positive battery terminal I am thinking it either a broken wire or the ignition switch. Any ideas?

Peter
BX 19GTI
BX 19TZD
BX17 estate
2cv x 2
1957 H van
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

Hi Peter,

i suspect the fault with the ABS staying on is a broken wire but where, thats the problem. Can only be fixed by you tracing it. Could be a quick fix if you are lucky so fingers crossed. However i suspect that this light staying on will fail you on the next MOT.Mine still goes out but i dread the day it dosnt.

good luck with it.

Andy
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

The ABS sensors are prone to going faulty, there used to be a fantastic write up on fault finding and fixing on 'BX DIY' but I don't know how to get on there anymore.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
benben10
Confirmed BX'er

Post by benben10 »

Hi, i had a similar starting probelm, bought the car and drove 200 miles home no prob even stoping for diesel but after one day it wouldnt start at all. started after i linked a 12v signal to the started solonoid. I suspect the ignition barrel is faulty and at £70 i wasnt going to replace it. Traced the wire from soloniod through the car and cut the wire, then another wire onto a switched live wire from ignition(white). fitted these wires onto a start button switch and installed under dash. Use the key in usual way and when glow light goes off push the switch. dtart every time even passed MOT.