1991 1.6 Meteor (Manual) - For Sale (On E-Bay)

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Still for sale, now on Gumtree. But at a higher price, weirdly :?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... x/98071207
ImageImageImageImageImage
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I think it looks good - nice and original from a guy with a Traction by the look of it?...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Cant understand why that hasnt been snapped up, lovely looking car.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

Hi,

I am really interested in buying this car which is now listed on Car & Classic at £375 ono. (shame I hadn't seem it earlier when it was cheaper)

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C288608#

It is the double of my old Meteor which I was heartbroken to have to scrap in 2005. The seller has emailed me with the following additional information:

My car had a major service done in June 2011 at 80,639 miles. This included the timing, pump and alternator belts, the silencer, new petrol pump, filters, oils and LHM, which cost £328.70. In September at 81,234 miles it had the copper petrol supply and return pipes replaced for the MOT in Sepetember and it had a replacement speedo cable.

It drives very well and everything works, except for the drivers window which needs a new runner. These are nice simple cars and as a long standing CCC member I have owned a few. The body is rest free and in good overall condition.

I'm afraid that I dont know a lot about cars and was hoping that someone could advise me on what else I should ask to establish the condition of this one. I am not able to carry out repairs myself and don't really want to be spending all my wages on maintenance but I dearly would like to be driving a Meteor again. I currently drive a Xantia with over 200k on the clock which is maintained by my local Citroen garage and is becoming increasingly costly to keep roadworthy. I live in Staffordshire and the Meteor is based in Sussex so I really need to be able to make my decision based on what the seller can tell me.
I don't suppose anyone on here lives close enough to be able to have a look at it for me??

Please let me know your thoughts (the seller is away for 2 weeks so I will need to take this up when he returns).

Thanks. :)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Can I suggest that, for the money - and given that so much important stuff has been done recently, you'd be well advised to snap it up. It's a well looked after BX still with its original trims etc. What are you waiting for?! :shock:

Things to look for (none of which are really deal-breakers at that price) are worn rear arm bearings (rear wheel lean (tops in) and groaning when bounced), rust in the boot floor/exhaust hanger area. Holes in the inner rear wheel arches, rusty inner front wings, A pillar door hinge area, base of the B pillar, the sill/rear arch area and under the washer bottles.

Carbs can be awkward, but if it runs and idles well, no worries.

Mostly common sense.

Hope you decide to buy. I would in your situation :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

merlyn wrote:I am really interested in buying this car which is now listed on Car & Classic at £375 ono. (shame I hadn't seem it earlier when it was cheaper)
me on another thread, like 5 minutes ago before reading the above wrote:Anything that sounds too good to be true probably is - I think you have to assume that you're not going to be the lucky one who picks up the best BX for £300 from an old guy who treated it better than his wife -
:lol: @ me.

Exactly what Philip said though!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

And me! get it bought! :lol: If that was a 1.9D it would be alot more!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

Someone else bought the car, I am gutted. I couldn't get to look at it because I had surgery on my knee the day the seller came back from his holiday and wasn't allowed to drive. Nobody was able to view it on my behalf and despite me making an offer for it unseen I got an email tonight to say it had been sold. He did offer me his '97 Xantia but I've already got my own!

Gutted.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

merlyn wrote:Someone else bought the car, I am gutted. I couldn't get to look at it because I had surgery on my knee the day the seller came back from his holiday and wasn't allowed to drive. Nobody was able to view it on my behalf and despite me making an offer for it unseen I got an email tonight to say it had been sold. He did offer me his '97 Xantia but I've already got my own!

Gutted.
The one you miss always looks like the unmissable best one ever. It's not though - there'll be another 'unmissable best one ever' along shortly - there always is.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

merlyn wrote:Someone else bought the car, I am gutted. I couldn't get to look at it because I had surgery on my knee the day the seller came back from his holiday and wasn't allowed to drive. Nobody was able to view it on my behalf and despite me making an offer for it unseen I got an email tonight to say it had been sold. He did offer me his '97 Xantia but I've already got my own!

Gutted.
I bet if you had bought it, you'd being feeling even more GUTTED now !

:lol:

merlyn
BXpert

Post by merlyn »

[/quote]

I bet if you had bought it, you'd being feeling even more GUTTED now !

:lol:

.[/quote]

Yes, but if I could afford it I would buy it and get it fixed. It will be a shame if it ends up being crushed. The bodywork (apart from the scrape on the side) seems sound and the interior looks good too. Just needs an engine.

:(