Wanted - Rear 4x4 Transfer Box Oil Seal

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
David
BXpert

Wanted - Rear 4x4 Transfer Box Oil Seal

Post by David »

Hi all, as the title states, I'm looking for a rear oil seal for the 4x4 transfer box. It's the one that goes around the propshaft drive shaft.

Essentially, I need help sourcing one. I don't expect that there will be many lying around, but this is an issue that I need to fix now.

The seal appears to be a 57mm X 73mm X 7mm. They seem nigh on impossible to find. My usual supplier has come up with nothing. Anything with a depth of less than 7mm would do the job, but again, there seems to be nothing about.

I've tried Google, Ebay & a couple of random sites that have appeared, but they're all come back with nothing.

I'll ring a Citroen parts department again in the morning, but I'm just expecting a lot of laughing and round of applause for the entertainment.

It was a (verbal) advisory on the last MOT, so I need to address it somehow.

I'm hoping to change the gearbox in the car next week; so ideally, I'd like to repair this at the same time.

So, has anyone got any ideas where I can find one?

Thanks in advance.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Re: Wanted - Rear 4x4 Transfer Box Oil Seal

Post by panky »

Image Image Image
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Post by panky »

Image Image Image
RMS_TITANIC
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX

Post by RMS_TITANIC »

Don't think its any of these but this company might be able to help
http://atdperformance.fr/topic1/page9-en.html
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

RMS_TITANIC wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:24 am Don't think its any of these but this company might be able to help
The last one - seal rear output - looks like the one to me.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
RMS_TITANIC
Confirmed BX'er

Post by RMS_TITANIC »

For some reason even though David had said transfer box I was thinking he meant differential, oh whale 😎
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Thanks for all the replies!
panky wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:21 pm Would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Shaft-Seal-TC57x ... B01HN1X4I8
I did manage to contact Citroen, and although they couldn't supply the part, they did give me the seal size, and it turns out that it's slightly smaller then that. It's 5.6mm deep, or at least that's what he said. That seal seems absurdly expensive for what it is anyway. I do appreciate you looking though!
RMS_TITANIC wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:24 am Don't think its any of these but this company might be able to help
Thanks for the link. I completely forgot about this company! I got touch with them yesterday, but I've not had a response yet; I presume it's because it's the weekend. Hopefully I'll get a reply on Monday. With a bit of luck, they can supply the seal. If this is correct, then I might get them all; I need some for the gearbox anyway, as I've just rebuilt it. New seals all around won't hurt!

I'll let you know when I get a response from them.

Oh, on a side note, does anyone know if I can get the transfer box out of the car with the engine still in? The 405 manual that I have, thinks that I'd need to remove the subframe, but I'm not sure if it's the same for the BX. The gearbox will be out anyway, so perhaps it'll give me enough room. I really doubt it though!
RMS_TITANIC wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:39 am For some reason even though David had said transfer box I was thinking he meant differential, oh whale 😎
Strangely enough, the differential seals can be still sourced through Citroen! He said that they're 'the same as later cars' so they're both available. I think that they're the same on the 2WD & 4x4 cars too.

Thanks again for all the help!

RMS_TITANIC
Confirmed BX'er

Post by RMS_TITANIC »

viewtopic.php?t=23192
Here's a post I made with a similar question, and I ended up doing a clutch change/engine swap last month. It is so so much easier to take the engine out. If it was just the gearbox then maybe you could but with the transfer box too its all a pain in the ass to line jt all up enough as it is.

Here is a 4x4 specific manual that I put through a translator, it's not perfect but enough to work with.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

The French company have finally got back to me. After some discussion, they think that these are the seals that I need: http://atdperformance.fr/topic1/page10-en.html
So I've ordered them. Hopefully they'll be the correct ones, so I can finally fix that annoying leak!

Yeah, I thought as much. There's 3" of clearance in front of the engine when the gearbox is off, but I need 9" of clearance to get the transfer box out from between the steering & subframe, so the engine will have to come out. Yeah, I saw your post; I've not got that annoying bolt in the back, so I can get the gearbox out without removing everything, but there still won't be enough room to get the transfer box out too. Not unless I removed the subframe, which I'm not prepared to do. It'll be easier to just lift the engine out.

Thanks for posting the Manual too, It's very informative. Strangely, it actually mentions a 4x4 diesel, but I've never seen another in this country. I wonder if they actually were made from the factory?

RMS_TITANIC
Confirmed BX'er

Post by RMS_TITANIC »

I've ordered the same set just yesterday, not doing it when the engine was out has come back to bite me in the ass it seems
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Yeah, it's always the way. Was yours leaking beforehand, or did you just not notice it? On mine, the leak looked to be coming from somewhere else, as centrifugal force was stopping the oil from staying on the propshaff.

The company messaged me a couple of days ago and informed me that they're 'currently out of stock, so it'll be a few weeks wait'. I hope that they don't mess around now as the engine is on the floor & I'm waiting for them.

Oh, just so you know, that rear nut is horrible to remove. Mine needed the oxyacetylene torch, 2 clamps & a big bar. I couldn't get it off.

RMS_TITANIC
Confirmed BX'er

Post by RMS_TITANIC »

It's just started, looks to be coming from the driveshaft inputs.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

RMS_TITANIC wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:00 pm I've ordered the same set just yesterday, not doing it when the engine was out has come back to bite me in the ass it seems
Have you heard anything more from the seller of those oil seals yet, or have yours arrived? I've had no further contact from him so far & they've not come yet. If they don't come within the next week, I won't be able to get to the National.

RMS_TITANIC
Confirmed BX'er

Post by RMS_TITANIC »

Hi, I've heard nothing and recieved nothing yet but it might be worth looking for 405 parts or trying to get the seals somewhere else. see here these pictures if they're any use, looks like they have the sizes for the seals on it:
I have access to more of these diagrams if you ever need any for the diff etc.
Attachments
diagram.png
parts 1.png
parts 2.png
RMS_TITANIC
Confirmed BX'er

Post by RMS_TITANIC »

I sent an email yesterday about when I can expect delivery and I just recieved a replay saying it was posted on monday and they included a tracking number, and as of yesterday its arrived in the UK