Stupid stupid stupid mistake!!!

BX Tech talk
mat_fenwick

Stupid stupid stupid mistake!!!

Post by mat_fenwick »

Changing the head gasket on a mates 1.9D, put it all back togther, timing bolts in correctly, new belt fitted, engine turned over 4 times, bolts back in OK. All looking good so far :)
Tried to start the engine, started OK but when I revved it the diesel knock got louder :( :( :(
I checked the timing again and couldn't get the bolts in, about half a diameter out. Bugger.
Million dollar question is - have I buggered the engine? Someone please tell me if there is a chance I haven't bent the valves. Or should I start looking for another head straight away? The compression still seems there when I turn over by hand.
I tried to move the cam timing one tooth but then it's out the other way... Time to stop I think as I am getting bored of sitting in the pool of water I created when I flushed the rad :( Plus all my torches have gone flat and it's no fun working purely by feel.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

It sounds like you're a tooth out on the belt which seems unlikely to cause damage. I replaced the water pump and cam belt a few months ago for the first time on my 19TXD. As an extra safety measure against being a tooth out, in addition to the four timing pins I put marks between the top of the cam sprocket & belt and between the top of the pump sprocket & belt. I used a marker pen for the marks on the sprockets and thin strips of red tape for the corresponding marks on the belt. I also put a mark on the crank pulley where the belt crosses its perimeter as an extra check. The idea was to make sure as far as possible that the belt went back on exactly the same way it came off.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

You can run an XUD two teeth out in either direction without causing valve damage, so get it timed and it should be fine.
Did exactley the same thing myself not long back, timed it all up, all looked fine, fired it up, clattered like an explosion in a cutlery store. Stopped, rechecked timing, all spot on.... then dtripped it down and discovered the woodruff jey was missing on the crank! It moved enough whilst the pulley was off to bu&&er it right up.
Stuffed a key in it, re timed it, no problems since, and it's done a fair few K since then.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

I also did that some years back working in the dark with minimal light, but refitted the belt the next morning in day light , no problems.

As a matter of interest, there is no need to remove the cranshaft pulley for belt changing, just remove the bottom plastic cover 2 bolts, then there is enough clearance to get the old belt off and the new one on...

eliminates loosing a loose woodruff key...
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

This is true, but I've always removed them.
For the 3 seconds it takes it makes life easier to ensure the belt is where it should be.
Alas I didn't lose the key, it wasn't there at all!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Thanks for the replies, happy to report back that after having another go I got the timing right - when I cranked it over by hand the timing was spot on but it shifted when I spun it over on the starter. Weird, never had that before...
Now sounds sweet as a nut :D , although I had a bit of a fright when the top end started rattling again - it was just a loose inlet manifold! :shock: