BX power question

Anything about BXs
Tourist
BXpert

BX power question

Post by Tourist »

I'm just wondering how the 1.7 TD [it should be 1.8] has 90bhp, which is the same as the 1.9 TD? Does it use a different turbo?
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Other than very late 1.9TD's both were fitted with the same turbo, either Garrett or KKK depending on luck.

Although the power is almost the same (actually 2bhp more for the 1.9) there is a useful amount of extra torque with the 1.9, and low speed response is considerably better too.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Where can I find some stats for the BX TD, and what is the difference between the 2 turbochargers?
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

The Garrett is less of a fiddle to increase the boost on, but I don't thing there is a lot in it; certainly not really enough to choose one car over another on the basis of type of turbo.

Scan from 1989 BX brochure follows...

"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Is it only 2bhp? I was under the impression that the 17TD was rated at 88 and the 19TD at 92? The torque figures are something like 132 lbft and 149lbft

AFAIK the garrett turbo boosts from lower RPM, and is definitely the one to have for low down torque. When they get to 4000+rpm, the boost is the same (as they are wastegate controlled now) and hence the power is the same, but the spool-up and low-rpm performance is definitely not the same!
this might be a signature
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

From memory, the 1.9TD engine has 148 lb ft of torque...which does make a difference! :D Definately picks up well from idle, although as I fitted a N/A cam at the same time I did the engine swap I can't put the change solely down to the increase in capacity.
The differences between the turbos are explained in a little more detail here.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Thanks for the info :)
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: BX power question

Post by DavidRutherford »

Tourist wrote:the 1.7 TD [it should be 1.8]
Not quite.. it's a 17 engine, as the first two numbers of the engine's cc are 17. If you round it to the nearest number of litres, it is indeed 1.8 though.

Much like the identification of the engines. XUD7 is the 1769cc engine, XUD9 is the 1905.

I know, this doesn't quite work for the XUD11, or the BX16, which has an XU5 and so on...
this might be a signature
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I'm with the tourist young david, by general rule it should be classed as a 1.8.

By the same logic, the BX 14 should be the BX 13.

And yeah, I believe the BX TD is 88bhp/134lb ft and the 1.9TD is 92bhp/148lb ft. But from what I've recently learned, the turbo/pump combo will have more of an effect on the performance of the car overall.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

As shown in the scan above, it would seem Citroen claimed 90bhp out of the 17TD...
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

They might have done, but I'm pretty sure that Peugeot (who made the engine) said it was 88.
Citroen always seemed to be a bit optimistic with their power claims IMO anyway.

jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Extensive googling gives the figures:

XUD7TE 90PS/88hp/66kw
XUD9TE 92PS/90hp/67kw
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Ah, so its the old PS or BHP thing thats got people confused? In short, they all have not alot of power basically! I've been told the XUD7TE is better to drive as it's more flexible, but ultimately not as torquey

Anyway I never got 'PS'. We had some Aussie bloke in today who kept reffering to his transit having 135PS, when in fact it's BHP. I kept saying BHP as you do and he said he says PS cos thats what they say in Australia.

I had to refrain from saying "yes but you're not in Australia YOU NUMPTARD!!!!"

jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Kitch wrote:Ah, so its the old PS or BHP thing thats got people confused? In short, they all have not alot of power basically! I've been told the XUD7TE is better to drive as it's more flexible, but ultimately not as torquey

Anyway I never got 'PS'. We had some Aussie bloke in today who kept reffering to his transit having 135PS, when in fact it's BHP. I kept saying BHP as you do and he said he says PS cos thats what they say in Australia.

I had to refrain from saying "yes but you're not in Australia YOU NUMPTARD!!!!"
I don't really get the whole PS thing either, gives for a situation like DIN versus SAE bhp ratings (which you never really see stated now; I wonder which standard won...)

On which of the two engines is 'better' it is difficult to say, and I guess depends somewhat on taste. I have not sampled the different engines in the same model of car either (perhaps David R could comment on his 405 experiences) but based upon driving behind the 1.7TD in a couple of BX's and the 1.9TD in a 306 and a Xantia I have to say that the 1.9 seems to have a rather flatter powerband, and the extra grunt on takeoff is much appreciated. Despite this, the 1.7 somehow feels more eager when moving, and provided you keep it in the powerband somewhat punchier and more responsive. This could however be due to the BX's lightness however; I believe even the ZX and 306 were somewhat heavier.
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

I know that the last BXs had steel where the plastic once was, how much heavier does this make them and does it effect performance?

Still more questions sorry ... v/interested.