1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

BX's on axle stands/jacks

Post by saintjamesy89 »

I know we all know we probably shouldn't use jacks/axle stands on our subframes - some of us are worried about the integrity of our sills, and those with non running BX's that are on the floor struggle to work under them, due to not being enough of a gap between floor and sill to jack them up.

BUT don't do it ladies and gents, I have cracked my otherwise decent MK1 front subframe (that now has new bearings) by doing just that - leavaing my GT stood on axle stands on the front subframe. So in the future the whole lot will have to come off for refurbishment which won't be cheap, hoping the bearings can be re-used as they won't be cheap either, or easy to find for that matter.

I'm sure others have had similar problems, Rich found the crack in mine whilst doing the bearings and other stuff in that general area - but unless you're working under there, or something disasterous happens you might not know.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
southside
My Cars: BX14RE
MX-5 NB
VW Polo
Peugeot 205

Re: BX's on axle stands/jacks

Post by southside »

so what is the solution? 2 axle stands and a lump of 4x2 to spread the load on the sills or what?
I already lost a much loved BX a few years back due to rotten sills . I am only just back into BX ownership with an F plate that has got a bent nearside sill from careless jacking. The clutch will need done sooner rather than later and I am anxious not to cause myself more grief.
assembled
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX TZD Turbo
1989 Citroen BX GTi 4x4

Post by assembled »

I usually use flat-top stands with pivot axle under my mk2 subrame just where it is mounted to body. Pivot ensures that axle stand adapts to subrame angle when rear end moves. I don't see how this could damage otherwise solid subrame. Anyway, your warning is important. Could please elaborate how it went wrong?

P.S. I also damaged a solid front sill jacking point when I accidentally hung my BX with depressurized suspension on it. So don't do that as well...
1992 TZD Turbo berline, aircon, ABS
1991 TZD Turbo berline
1989 GTi 4x4 berline, ABS
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Im not entirely sure what I did do! The damage was done a year or two back. I think I jacked up the front end using an unsuitable point on the subframe before getting a jack under the sills.

Flat top axle stands are good, you can also use a bit of soft wood to reduce any damage between the jack/stand and car.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
TizzyD
BXpert

Post by TizzyD »

I always put the car in high, chock the back wheels and jack it up at the very front of the sill and then put the axel stand behind where i've jacked it, still all on the re-enforced bit of metal and then if I'm taking the front wheels off the throw them under the car should it drop it shouldn't all it the deck.

Im not sure of any other places to put the axel stands apart from the sills and haven't dare risk the subframe for the very reason you've said about Tom.
'02 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v - 92K - Sold
'09 Yamaha YBR 125 - 1100 miles
'93 Bx 17 TZD Turbo - 240K - The Aubergine

Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Using a big piece of wood to spread the load under the subframe, directly under the mounting bolts is probably all you can really do.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)