Citroën Classic Challenge 2015

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Tinkley
1K Away

Re: Citroën Classic Challenge 2015

Post by Tinkley »

Some good shots in there, thanks for posting. I particularly like some of the Millau bridge (Foster and partners) which set it in context well, and a couple on it with nice perspective to the support cables. Classic deserted street with black cat shot too, and that odd modelled head? clay/ceramic? close up. Mist over lake/river good oo, hard without a wide angle lens to get that type of shot.
deltic
BXpert

Post by deltic »

Tinkley wrote:Some good shots in there, thanks for posting. I particularly like some of the Millau bridge (Foster and partners) which set it in context well, and a couple on it with nice perspective to the support cables. Classic deserted street with black cat shot too, and that odd modelled head? clay/ceramic? close up. Mist over lake/river good oo, hard without a wide angle lens to get that type of shot.
Thanks for looking as there were rather a lot...

Millau was breathtaking both on and off the bridge, indeed some parts of the A75, La Méridienne are also quite spectacular with for me probably the best view of the whole Challenge being of the Massif Central stretching almost to infinity from the top of the 1107m Col de la Fageole. The black cat was shot in Gourdon where rather bizarrely there was also cat that had been completely shaved apart from its feet!

The ceramic head was at Beauvron-en-Auge in Normandy with the mist shots being taken nearby at our campsite (recommended) at Le Brevedent - it was only 4/5C on 23 June! Good job we had taken hot water bottles!
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 137,000 miles (2015, 2017 & 2019 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
1991 BX GTi auto, grey, 92,000 miles (2022 Citroen Classic Challenge veteran)
2006 C4 VTR+ 2.0 Coupé, silver, 78,000 miles (RIP)
2016 Volvo V40 T2 R-Design Pro, blue, 24,000 miles
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Time to take a breath and think 'What next?'

I have my own thoughts, but let's start with this:

The first I did was the 2009 BXagon. A purely BX Club event.

Since then, engaging the support of the CCC and other sponsors I've tried to throw the event open to other Citroens. I've even considered younger models too.

But the most popular participating car so far has been the BX. Despite my hopes, no 2CV's, Visas, CX's, DS's or SM's have graced an event with their presence. It was great to have Xantia and XM representatives this year though, but the fact remains; the BX is probably the 20 year-old plus Citroen best-suited to these 'Challenges'. The ZX comes very close but to many lacks the emerging classic status of the BX.

This could go at least two ways.

•Turn it into the 'Chevrons Challenge' where ANY Citroen regardless of age or model is welcome. But this is probably over-ambitious and in all honesty not something I'd want to organise abroad. Maybe in the UK, who knows?

•Return to the spirit of the BXagon. We did it in a certain way; limiting it to the BX and everyone helping raise money for charity. As you all know I'm sure at last count a couple of years back the total raised for Cancer Research UK was over £10k. Or, in these belt-tightened times, we could put the charity aspect aside (but isn't it now they need the support the most?)... It'd need careful thought.

OR •Finally, and most radically, create a new group where anyone with a 25+ year old French car could come along. This not only means the Puggers and Renaultistes could join in (hear me out... lol), but it could allow any of us to maybe consider something other than a Citroen for a change. However, as I write this I sort of already know the answer to this suggestion :)

I know what I'd prefer, but what do you all think?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

BXagon revisited is my preference. I don't really want a lot of Puggers along as well..........
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, it's no real secret I'm with you in that respect. Return to our roots....
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

So what's the difference between option one, and the Citroen Classic Challenge that just took place?

I'm thinking of getting in on the next one, possibly in the mk1 TRS - not sure yet. I think the idea of Pugs and Renaults isn't a bad one, personally. You might have visions of loads of yoofs turning up in 106 GTis, but just as many yoofs drive Citroens. And besides, who wouldn't want to follow a 504 or Fuego around France?

It'd be epic! It's not the marque you're worrying about, it's the type of person who'd attend. I don't think there's anything to worry about, as it's not the sort of event the yoofs (I'm over 30 now, I can say that) would want to go on anyway.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

There was ostensibly a restriction on vehicle age: set at older than 20 years for the last Challenge whereas for a 'Chevrons Rally'-style challenge there would be no stipulation other than the car needs to be a Citroen.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Kitch wrote:......who wouldn't want to follow a 504 or Fuego around France?

It'd be epic! It's not the marque you're worrying about, it's the type of person who'd attend. I don't think there's anything to worry about, as it's not the sort of event the yoofs (I'm over 30 now, I can say that) would want to go on anyway.
A very good point. The cars in some respects are secondary when it comes to enjoying the event.

On a practical level though if we are all driving roughly the same model it does make life a bit easier re: maintenance/repair/trouble-shooting and does give a convoy a definite 'presence!

Also I would be thrilled if you could make the next one. Don't know when it'll be yet, but I can guarantee you'll be closer to 40 than you are now :)