C'est Bleriot - 1987 17RD Hatchback

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
panky
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: 1991 Mini Cooper, 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Re: C'est Bleriot - 1987 17RD Hatchback

Post by panky » Tue May 14, 2019 9:33 pm

Love the baby moons 8)

vulgalour
BXpert
BXpert
My Cars: 1980 Austin Princess 1.7 HL
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour » Fri May 17, 2019 5:29 pm

I'm surprised you all liked the chrome trims so much! Today's update might be a bit disappointing for you now.

Today, I gave the rims on the BX a quick spruce up so that I could refit the restored wheel trims. The chrome trims look good but they're not as secure as I'd like them to be and I'm worried about losing one or more of them. Also, the challenge with the BX is to keep it as original looking as possible, especially given the rarity of low spec models like this one.

Looks alright. I did put the trims on before the wheel bolts since after restoring the trims, they no longer grip the head of the wheel bolts as well as they did. This isn't a problem, the trim is designed in such a way that it doesn't prevent the bolt meeting the wheel face properly and the bolt is designed in such a way that you can't pull the trim off without undoing the bolt, so they're all nice and secure now.

I do have a schedule of jobs for the BX, in no particular order:
Change oil and filter
Change coolant
New timing belt, tensioner, and water pump
Re-black door frames and front bumper trim
Deep clean the interior
Paint correction all over

It's not much of a list at all really, it's just stuff that will take it from being a good car, to a great car.

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: 1963 VW BEETLE 1200 KGJ413A
1972 Morris Marina 1.8 SDL BFA720L
1979 Rover SD1 3.5 V8-S TSL 982
1980 Morris Marina 1.7HL DBV468W
1985 CITROEN BX 19GT C1TBX
1991 CITROEN BX 19TZI AUTO A/C BXi 19
1994 CITROEN XANTIA 1.8 SXi M908HRY
2002 Rover 75 CDT Connossieur SE Nav Auto R40TSL
2002 Rover 45 1.6i Spirt S TAL 91S
2003 Rover 25 1.6i XL L33CHT

Post by Tim Leech » Sat May 18, 2019 9:19 am

Amazing a small job can make such a difference! Looks brand new!
1985 BX 19GT Mk1
1991 BX 19TZI Auto A/C
1994 Xantia 1.8i SX
1972 Morris Marina 1.8 SDL
1979 Rover SD1 V8-S
1980 Morris Marina 1.7HL
2002 Rover 75 CDTi Connossieur SE AUTO Nav
2002 Rover 45 1.6i Spirit S Special
2003 Rover 25 1.6i XL 5 DR
1963 VW BEETLE 1200

vulgalour
BXpert
BXpert
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour » Mon May 20, 2019 9:02 pm

I have two very tiny LHM leaks. One is at the brake master cylinder, I'm assuming this is going to be the little rubber o-ring/seal has failed since it's coming from one of the unions where it screws into the master cylinder. I have spare seals so I'll get one fitted when I do the timing belt which I should be ordering tomorrow. It looks like a less than fun job due to access, you can barely see it, but when I do the belt I should have access to the shop lift which will make it much easier.

The other tiny LHM leak is at the back, on the driver's side, and only when the car is at rest. When the car is running, at any height, there is no leak. Let it sit for a few hours and a very small spot of LHM appears under the rear displacer. I assume this is something to do with the return line.

Both leaks are really, really, tiny. We're talking a 1" at the very most spot on the floor overnight on the concrete from each. There's no noticeable consumption of LHM at the reservoir end of things and the suspension goes up and down swiftly and the accumulator/pump ticks rarely when running so I'm pretty sure this is not a serious problem and it certainly doesn't affect how well the car functions and drives.

I'm also hoping these are common problems and there is, therefore, a common solution.

vulgalour
BXpert
BXpert
1987 Citroen BX 17RD

Post by vulgalour » Tue May 21, 2019 10:33 pm

Today my wallet had a crash diet so I could order all the fluids and parts needed for the one big job outstanding on the BX: Timing belt. I've decided to do coolant, water pump, timing belt, tensioner, oil, and oil filter, all at the same time. It gives me a good service starting point that way and gives the car the best chance of staying as nice as it currently is.

One of the things that had been bugging me is the little LHM leak at the front. I was waiting to get the car on the lift to see if it really was one of the unions on the brake master cylinder when I realised today that there's a return hose on the top. While the car was running, I gave the hose a wiggle and sure enough, LHM came out. Stop wiggling it while the car is running, no LHM comes out. Turn the car off, LHM comes out. In the following picture, the black hose to the left that goes to the rusty thing (that's the master cylinder) is what's generating that little green puddle and making everything wet. I've unplugged a connector that sits right on top of this both so you can see it, and for access.

The return line simply pulls off, and access is fiddly but not as terrible as it might be. You can see the little rubber hose that connects the plastic line to the metal stub on the cylinder has split in a few places and this is what was leaking.

I'm guessing it's just a very old pipe which is why it's split like that. To replace it, Mike had a rummage and found some suitable diameter hose. Since this is only a return line, it doesn't need any clamps, it literally just pushes into place. 

A bit of bumbling about after everything was cleaned off and it seems to have solved the leak. Also, looking down the back of the engine as much as I could, it looks like the tiny spot of black oil under the car has actually been from the LHM leaking here and running down things, washing off old oil from the rocker cover gasket leak - fixed recently - and dirt from the engine and dumping it on the floor. Hopefully I won't have any oil drops under the car now.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is leaking on the back corner of the car, I suspect it's going to be a similar split old return hose issue since it manifests in much the same way. I just can't see where the leak is exactly, I suspect it's hidden up above the suspension stuff at the back, out of sight, so could be a nuisance to locate without exploratory dismantling.