Jugostran's CIMOS-related shenanigans

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dave_16v
BXpert
My Cars: BX 16 Valve Ph 2 Current
BX 16 valve Ph 1 past
BX Gti past
BX Gti Auto past
ZX Volcane keeping others going

Re: Jugostran's CIMOS-related shenanigans

Post by Dave_16v »

I wouldn't stripe the top crease. If you are set on doing some, keep them near the original in which case I don't like all black, looks cluttered. I'm not sure they enhance the car, might look better in reality. I only comment because you asked for opinions 🤗
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!

panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Post by panky »

Top one 8)
Image Image Image
Jugostran
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 Cimos-Citroën BX 16 TRS
2007 BMW 318D (the "company car")

Post by Jugostran »

Dave_16v wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:50 am I wouldn't stripe the top crease. If you are set on doing some, keep them near the original in which case I don't like all black, looks cluttered. I'm not sure they enhance the car, might look better in reality. I only comment because you asked for opinions 🤗
I'm basing the stripes off of ones found on the GT and some special edition BXs (like the Palamares). The Palamares has two stripes on the top crease.

Proudly daily driving a 1989 BX 16 TRS since 2021

panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.

Post by panky »

Personally I think it's a bit fussy with the rubbing strips and stripes on the top crease, it looks OK on the Palamares as there's no rubbing strip. It's entirely up to you but if you don't put GT stripes on I'll talk about you behind your back :wink: :D
Image Image Image
Dave_16v
BXpert
BX 16 valve Ph 1 past
BX Gti past
BX Gti Auto past

Post by Dave_16v »

Jugostran wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:18 pm

I'm basing the stripes off of ones found on the GT and some special edition BXs (like the Palamares). The Palamares has two stripes on the top crease.
The first thing I thought when I saw the white one was just what Panky said, too much going on.

I know it's nice to do little mods but I think your car looks nice just as it is.I suppose they were a thing in the day but are they now and even thinking about them as "retro" I wonder 🤔. However, I think you will be doing it but don't do the top crease. 😄

Jugostran
BXpert

Post by Jugostran »

Dave_16v wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:12 pm
Jugostran wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:18 pm

The first thing I thought when I saw the white one was just what Panky said, too much going on.

I know it's nice to do little mods but I think your car looks nice just as it is.I suppose they were a thing in the day but are they now and even thinking about them as "retro" I wonder 🤔. However, I think you will be doing it but don't do the top crease. 😄
I want to do something tasteful and period-correct to the car because all I've been doing for the past three years is bringing the car back to factory condition. Recently it made me feel a bit of a lack of connection in with the car, so I started looking around for 16 valves, GTs, Digits and whatnot. However I wouldn't want to deal with another unknown BX at this time, and besides, I couldn't if I wanted to (import restrictions and all).
So to make myself feel better about owning a fairly generic Mk2, I've decided that I want to make it at least somewhat personalized.

Jugostran
BXpert

Post by Jugostran »

panky wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:46 pm Personally I think it's a bit fussy with the rubbing strips and stripes on the top crease, it looks OK on the Palamares as there's no rubbing strip. It's entirely up to you but if you don't put GT stripes on I'll talk about you behind your back :wink: :D
Oh no, blackmail detected >:D
Jk of course. I think GT stripes would look quite good on it. Now, to go with monochromatic like on yours or the traditional with the red line...decisions, decisions.

panky
BXpert

Post by panky »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way your car looks now, it's gorgeous. But there also nothing wrong with personalising it to your own taste, at least with a pin stripe it's easy to reverse if you don't like the final result - go for it :D
Image Image Image
Jugostran
BXpert

Post by Jugostran »

panky wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:49 am There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way your car looks now, it's gorgeous. But there also nothing wrong with personalising it to your own taste, at least with a pin stripe it's easy to reverse if you don't like the final result - go for it :D
Thank you!
Yeah, I think it's really nice looking. Possibly the nicest looking Mk2 outside of the Mk1 16v. The simple lines and colours just work. The later TZx and especially TGx cars made the BX "too 90s" in appearance for my taste. While your GT (which I'm really envious of, I love Mk1s) is straight from the early 80s, the Mk2 is a bit more late 80s.

Dave_16v
BXpert
BX 16 valve Ph 1 past
BX Gti past
BX Gti Auto past

Post by Dave_16v »

Didn't you consider smoked lights, I think those would look sleek.

Jugostran
BXpert

Post by Jugostran »

Dave_16v wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:33 pm Didn't you consider smoked lights, I think those would look sleek.
I have a pair. I will install them and see what they look like. Though I think there was a mixup and I ended up with one which isn't smoked. I'll get it replaced with a smoked one and install them. Though I think that'll ruin the originality of the car. TRSs always had the older tricolour lights.

saintjamesy89
Over 2k
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

I liked no.3, the red strip eon the top crease, agree with others that a stripe above the rubbing strip looks a bit cluttered. It's a lovely looking BX anyway.

Fingers crossed the carb is good! BTW I did notice your choke flap/butterfly has a hole drilled in it - I'm sure this was done on purpose but I'm 99% certain I've never seen that before, mine certainly don't have it.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Jugostran
BXpert

Post by Jugostran »

saintjamesy89 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:01 am I liked no.3, the red strip eon the top crease, agree with others that a stripe above the rubbing strip looks a bit cluttered. It's a lovely looking BX anyway.
The top crease is honestly my favourite, even though it seems a bit unpopular an option. When looking at the BX at most angles, especially the Mk2 with its wide fenders and large front light clusters, it can look a bit dinky. The line would serve to add a bit of a divider and accentuate the top crease and general sharpness of the BX design.
I'm torn on the colour. My BX is grey, but it's an odd grey. In the dark it looks almost black, while in the light it shimmers making it look light grey. That's why a red stripe may be a bit jarring. Monochromatic would solve that I think.
Fingers crossed the carb is good! BTW I did notice your choke flap/butterfly has a hole drilled in it - I'm sure this was done on purpose but I'm 99% certain I've never seen that before, mine certainly don't have it.
I hope so as well. I strongly suspect this carb never worked quite right, so it'll be nice to finally experience a BX with a good carb. Anyway, I never paid much attention to the hole. This is an original Solex carb as installed by Citroën, so it is probably something specific to certain BXs. Not sure what purpose that hole serves. Better idle? It has the Solex autochoke system, so it may also have something to do with that. No idea.
It would be funny if that hole was the key to fixing most running issues on Solex-equipped BXs.
Maybe someone more knowledgeable can answer.

saintjamesy89
Over 2k
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Don't worry about the opinion of others, it's your car dude - do as you want! You might get comments, but everyone has opinions.

Back to the hole, it looks aftermarket to me and it would let extra air through (leaner AFR) even when the choke is fully closed, perhaps making the car harder to start when cold and run less well until it warms up and the choke starts to open. I've never seen one before, did it used to run better when hot or cold? I have a feeling it might have been done previously to resolve a running/starting issue.
Also, interestingly your choke butterfly is grey metal, all those I've seen have been a brass like colour.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Dave_16v
BXpert
BX 16 valve Ph 1 past
BX Gti past
BX Gti Auto past

Post by Dave_16v »

Possibly you are overthinking it. As long as you only do bidirectional nonstructural modifications, you might like part, all or nothing of what you do in which case you will have what have now. Like I said in my original post, I only commented since you asked for opinions, I don't as a rule get involved with discussion online but it's such a small forum, there aren't many to reply. 😊
Whatever you do, most people who see the car out won't have a clue, they will view it as it is, not if it's original or not, it's only you and a few purists who will know. 👍