Xantia Headlights

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
MikeT
BXpert

Xantia Headlights

Post by MikeT »

I've just checked the headlight specification and it reads both dipped and full beam are H1 55W's which I find inefficient.

All sensible tried and tested suggestions for improving night time visibility welcome.
Xantiaman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Xantiaman »

Philips Brilliance bulbs, still standard rating, are much brighter with a better beam than the original bulbs, i got some off ebay for not much more than the price of standard H1's, i still use normal H1's for the main beam but with the uprated dipped beam, dont find any problems.
Xantia ActivaLX - Fuelled by SVO
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

I second the Philips bulbs Mike, an excellent choice.

That bulb you had from my stash was, in fact, out of my TD and did a fair impression of a glow worm. Sorry 8)

Rewiring the headlights via relays and heavy-duty wiring direct from the high current distribution bar is a good idea. The standard wiring is awfully thin for the current it is expected to handle.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

I'll try the phirips in the dipped beam then, as long as they're compatible with pattern/beam and don't annoy oncoming drivers - I need more light as over 40mph in the dark is just plane kamikaze! (intentional typos). Would it be possible to fit 100w's to full beam or will I risk overloading?
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

MikeT wrote: Would it be possible to fit 100w's to full beam or will I risk overloading?
100W bulbs are both illegal and WILL cook the standard wiring Mike, and possibly melt the lamps themselves :lol:

Go the Philips route, they'll not annoy others and the difference will surprise you. The beam pattern will improve.

Rather that 100W jobs, you'd be better off going down the HID road but you know my views on those :twisted:

On a related topic, I was delighted to see the MK II headlamps still produce the famous MK I "circle" when just sidelights are on. It is not quite so well defined as on a MK I though :D
Jim

MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

I didn't realise 100W's were illegal! Certainly don't want anything overheating but as it's for full beam only I'd never use them with other vehicles visible. If the brilliance do as good a job as said, I'm sure I'll be content with 55W's. Thanks peeps!
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

Things have moved on... Phillips now do a +80% bulb, and Osram a +90% 'Nightbreaker'. Now, the lights in my MK11 are better than the Mk1, with normal bulbs, but not as good as with Phillips Vision plus (+50%). Was going to buy some Phillips +80%, but not available in H1 fitting, so ordered a pair of the night breakers. They are truly outstanding!! Almost as much light as my mate's Primera's HDi lamps. A vast improvement in night driving. No one has flashed coming the other way, and you can really see the sharp cut off much vaunted of the complex surface reflectors, and a really good kick-up along the kerb. Might fit some relays too to get every last bit....
I NEED a BX TD.
Baldbazza
BXpert

Post by Baldbazza »

For what it's worth, I'm running the Philips Vision plus (+50%) in the Alfa, and they're excellent.

Although from what I remember of my old Xantia's headlights (which wasn't much from behind the steering wheel at night), maybe a candle would double the lighting capacity?

And if you lit it, even better!
1985 BX 19 GT
2007 Alfa Romeo GT
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Baldbazza wrote:And if you lit it, even better!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Many a true word spoken in jest....
Jim

Xantiaman
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Xantiaman »

Might have to have a look at the nightbreaker bulbs, they are £20 on ebay..
Xantia ActivaLX - Fuelled by SVO
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I fitted phillips vision plus to my Xantia on the dipped beams, much better, I would not fit higher wattage bulbs without relays.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cpt_spalding

Post by cpt_spalding »

My issue with the Xant headlights is not so much the amount of light output but the "reach" of the headlamps.

Will these Philips or Osram bulbs improve that (the beam pattern)? If so, what part no. do I need for the Xant Mk II?

Cheers
FCF refugee
1998 Xantia 1.9TD Est Tempt 2
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

That's what I've noticed with mine, the pattern tops out at about four/five car lengths ahead so maybe mine need adjusting up.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Last edited by tim leech on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Ive bought 2 new headlamps for my MK1 as the reflectors are very worn, and the glass is aged, however we had this car brand new and the headlamps were rubbish then, whatsthe best and most affordable direct replacement for the standard bulbs without spending a small fortune.

Does anyone have a link for them?

Ta