Xantia MK II Radio

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
hamster

Post by hamster »

I've just changed the radio in my mk 2 xantia for the higher spec standard fit one to allow me to control my cd changer I took out my previous (mk 1) xantia.
All works fine except I can't pick up anything on meduim or longwave. The radio I took out was also the same. I like to be able to pick up five live to listen to football. As I've had the same problems with both radio's I assume it must be something to do with the aerial. Does the roof aerial also get used for LW and MW signals.
In my old xantia I could pick up channels from france on LW and MW. Now I can't pick up a thing. FM reception is ok but again not as good as on the old car.
1999 XANTIA 1.8 16V ESTATE
Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

The aerial is the obvious place to look, I'd check for sign of corrosion where the mast screws onto the base then underneath as most of them have an amplifier powered by a small wire running to the base.
99 Xantia HDi Exclusive Est
98 Xantia V6 Exclusive
97 Xantia VSX TD
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas
M

Post by M »

I found with my Mk 2 the aerial base had some corrosion on it - cleaned up and used some Creeping Crack Seal to stop further water ingress - it improved things, but not enough to make LW bearable.

In the end I fitted another in line amplifier (£1 off ebay) to the co ax lead and this perked everything up.

Oddly the Sony head unit suffered worse on LW than the Xantia one (which suffered worse on FM for some reason).
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

I bought a Sony head unit last year and recall the instruction manual says something about a built-in setting to improve weak signal reception?
98 Xant 1.9TD fuelled on veg
93 Granny SORN
90 VFR750 Breaking