Boot lock problem

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
cpt_spalding

Boot lock problem

Post by cpt_spalding »

My tailgate (estate) lock is currently temperamental. Sometimes unlocks with the central locking, sometimes doesn't. I hear the clunk of the mechanism but something isn't moving within to unlock it.

In addition, when I put the key into the tailgate lock, it won't turn in either direction. It's currently in the vertical position.

Ring any bells with anyone?

I suppose I ought to bite the bullet, buy a new car & live with the £300 per month depreciation to avoid these issues... :roll:

Yeah, right! !!!---)))
FCF refugee
1998 Xantia 1.9TD Est Tempt 2
Spud1962

Post by Spud1962 »

Hello :)

My Xantia estate has the same problem as yours,
Unfortunately I haven't been able to discvoer the cause of it yet either.... :(

All the best

Spud 8)
1996 Xantia 2.0 VSX Estate
1989 Mitsubishi Pajero
Used to have a BX and an XM
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Captain, Spud,

Sounds like the lock barrel ahs seized soild given that you know you're using the right key.

The lock motor can give problems and could well be seized up, which will, in turn, prevent the lock barrel from turning or at least make it incredibly stiff.

The lock motor has a clutch inside to enable the operating plunger to go up and down with ease. Much of the clutch mechanism is made of mazak and after a time it falls apart and jams the clutch. A clue that this is beginning to happen is that the motor sqeals on locks and unlocks rather than a more satisfying clunk.

Repair of these motors is virtually impossible. A scrapyard will be your friend.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

Post by admiral51 »

Im also having some niggles with the boot lock on my Xantia (1994 hatch)
it locks ok with the central locking and on the key and unlocks with both but sometimes(more frequent now) the whole barrel pushes in about 1" or so and wont open unless i use the key although it has unlocked with the central locking
is it a simple fix like a circlip needing replaced or is it major surgery :) :)

colin