Pug 306 Steering Column

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Pug 306 Steering Column

Post by CitroXim »

A friend of mine has just taken his 306 for an MOT. Apart from failing on track rod ends, it also failed on play in the steering column.

The MOT tester said this was unique to him, apparantly he'd never seen it before.

I took a quick look and indeed, there is significant up/down and side to side play at the top of the column and a very worthy MOT failure. There is no in/out play to suggest one of the column UJs is loose or worn.

I'm guessing there is a bush of some sort at the top of the column that is worn and causing this play.

Anyone know what I'll find when I remove the wheel and how easy it is to resolve?
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Trying to change a steering column top bush will be an utter nightmare. Steering columns are designed to be assembled once and last the lifetime of the car. I'd be surprised if you can even get a replacement bush. Surely given how rare that sort of failure is, the easiest thing to do would be to fit a second-hand steering column from a breakers? I can't imagine any breaker would charge more than a tenner for a column, especially if it's "bare" (IE no switches or ignition barrel)

Bizzare problem, but easy fix.
this might be a signature
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Doesn't the bottom bush on the BX column sometimes drop out and cause problems - If it does I think it can be forced back in to its correct place. Is the Peugeot one similar?
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Thanks both :D

David, I think your idea of replacing the steering column complete could be a winner. I'll have a chat with a few breakers..
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...