Xantia starting problem

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The 'Thing' Jim refers to on the fuel filter is in fact the thermostat which controls the heating function of the filter/heater assembly. I believe it can in fact be dismantled and re-sealed - and maybe some mastic sealant in its hole which is recessed would be a temporary cure.

The problem with most of the circuit is that its under suction as there is no separate lift pump on these engines. This means that air gets drawn in cracks in pipes and hardened joints and there is normally no fuel leakage and hence no trace.

Your Xantia will have a Bosch pump which needs a good leakoff system. You can probably replace it with ordinary fuel tube (black rubber type) which you can generally get from accessory shops. It is essential that the leakoffs seal properly with the Bosch pump (Roto-Diesels do not suffer from this problem and will happily run with fuel leaking all over the front of the engine)

The end cap is important as well.

I'd make sure the last pipe to the pump is clear plastic (and not too hard) and then go through the system until I was convinced that there was no air getting in.

There is no reason why the leakoff fuel shouldn't be collected temporarily in another container. However with the Bosch pump you must make sure you are diverting the return to the tank and not any part of the circuit involving the pump.
fangy

Post by fangy »

Thats me got the car fixed, I replaced the fuel line to the tank, now the cars starting and running great. Thanks for everyones help.
Fangy.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Excellent news Fangy :D :D :D
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...