you mean it is possible if/when the lower plastic cover is missing,

i would think it is very very tight to get the belt passed the pulley,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

It would go with a significant amount of twisting/chaffing... NOT what i'd like to do with such a critical component :shock:

Besides, with all the crap that goes down there you'll not be wanting to run with the cover missing!
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Furry nuff! However, pulley removal has been dealt a blow as I can't find my 22mm socket. Pretty sure I do own one. Found the 21mm and the 23mm...

Also, I've been sent the wrong water pump. Given up for the day!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

With the correct water pump now sent, I got back on this job. I also found my 22mm socket. The best technique to undo it turned out to be using a long scaffold tube on a knuckle-bar wedged against the floor of the garage. A friend used a long stick to hold the socket square on the nut and I used a burst of starter to get it undone. Scary but it worked! Was getting dark last night though and I was really struggling to get the three M8 bolt holes lined up, so waiting for the next burst of enthusiasm.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

They all only line up once for every 2 turns of the engine, if they are not all lined up turn the crank another full turn to line up the crank and cam holes. If after the crank and cam are lined the pump is slightly out of line then it could be a pump timing issue or the belt has jumped a tooth which would also be the problem if you can't get both the crank and cam holes lined up. But the car wouldn't be running or would be running very rough if it had jumped a tooth.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Kevan. While stumped by the 22mm bolt yesterday, I did screw in the three bolts, so I know it's possible. I'm full of cold today, so job is on hold.
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Tip, if you don't have the correct size socket, or you are not able to remove the crank pulley bolt, then:

Just remove the bottom plastic cover from the engine block (2 small bolts (II RC), then the belt will come off.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

Brian wrote:Tip, if you don't have the correct size socket, or you are not able to remove the crank pulley bolt, then:

Just remove the bottom plastic cover from the engine block (2 small bolts (II RC), then the belt will come off.

not a good idea as firstly you dont want to be forceing the belt into place between the crank pully and crank case, pluss you dont want to get a load of gritty gundge into the teeth of the belt, from around the crank pully/case,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Fairly easy to do, rubbish on the old belt when removing.

Then it gives a chance to give the area a good clean before fitting the new belt.
Have done it several times, no problems so far.
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Brian wrote:Tip, if you don't have the correct size socket, or you are not able to remove the crank pulley bolt, then:

Brian wrote:Fairly easy to do, rubbish on the old belt when removing.

Then it gives a chance to give the area a good clean before fitting the new belt.
Have done it several times, no problems so far.
That's the method I use to Brian (Why waste-time/effort removing the crankshaft bolt/pulley) never had problems with access in refitting a new belt or picking up any crap (Prior to giving a good clean down local to bottom pulley crankshaft area) note that I'm referring this experience to the XUD7/9 engines (As the O/P title refers to a TZD Diesel unit) it may be different for the petrol engines !

:D

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

each to there own i spoz

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Belt is off, though I really struggled to loosen the tensioner. Now seem to have another problem though - water pump is off but while it looks pretty similar to the new one, the old impeller is a good 1cm larger than the new one. Have I got the wrong pump?

Gasket was a right state, which helps explain where the leak was coming from.

I can't say I've been enjoying this job. Everything is a pain in the arse to get at. My knuckles are a right state.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Dollywobbler wrote: I can't say I've been enjoying this job. Everything is a pain in the arse to get at. My knuckles are a right state.
:lol: Yes the first time doing the belt on a transverse engine is always a steep learning curve, hopefully the job satisfaction when done will help heal the scars :wink:
The only difference in the impellar on the last one I did was the new genuine Citroen water pump had a plastic impellar instead of brass type alloy.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It's not unknown for the impeller to corrode or erode away - does the old one look like it was manufactured smaller? If the new one fits without fouling the block then I wouldn't be concerned.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

mat_fenwick wrote:It's not unknown for the impeller to corrode or erode away - does the old one look like it was manufactured smaller? If the new one fits without fouling the block then I wouldn't be concerned.
No, the OLD pump is larger. I s'pose it should still work? Just a bit wary as it's a lot of faff and potentially a popped head gasket to find out it doesn't...