The definitive heater modification

Frequently asked technical questions and common modifications/improvements
Des Smith
1K Away

Re: The definitive heater modification

Post by Des Smith »

Ah, box of 10. I just looked at the picture... :oops: Still, I don't see me needing 8 spares.
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

David wrote:Last time I had the dash out of my car, I traced the wire back that tends to loose the earth. It actually goes back to one of the pins on the heater resistor. It could be corrosion on a pin or inside the resistor that causes all the trouble.
That's what I wondered too, but didn't know. So if you link the pins on the PCB and it works as it should, you know the heater transistor (to be pedantic, not resistor) module is getting an earth - otherwise nothing would work, but not 'sharing' it with the control PCB.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dragon Man
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen Dispatch 2.0L HDi 2005
Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley 1991

Post by Dragon Man »

the one from my TZD Estate (with aircon) looks differant than the ones i have seen on here.. my one does not work in the full speed position (turned right up).. wonder if its a relay that has gone?
2017-08-04 15.12.56.gif
the scratched off track was already like it. its not a track though, its more like conductive paint between the tracks.
- JohnDragonMan

Drives: Citroen Dispatch with retrofitted air conditioning 8)
Classic Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley named Talon (long term storage)

always buy base spec. that way you have the fun of putting all the cool bit on your vehicle :mrgreen:
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

DELETED
Last edited by Defender110 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

No that is a standard one, there were a choice of 2 different types fitted the Chausson and the Eledas but both do the same thing, note the different contactors though.
BX13.jpg
BX12.jpg
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Dragon Man wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:19 pm the one from my TZD Estate (with aircon) looks differant than the ones i have seen on here.. my one does not work in the full speed position (turned right up).. wonder if its a relay that has gone?
2017-08-04 15.12.56.gif

the scratched off track was already like it. its not a track though, its more like conductive paint between the tracks.

AndersDK wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:54 pm
ed4ferrets wrote:I've seen no reference to the other type of circuit board, brand named CHAUSSON as opposed to the ELEDASA (Valeo) as pictured. Just wondering if it also has the same shortcoming as I've never heard the relay click when turning it to max? The pcb is in front of me but the circuits are not very clear, being covered by a protective white film of sorts .... hence unable provide a pic! This is off a K reg BX. Hope I haven't missed a previous posting asking the same thing :oops:
The plot is if the high speed relay is cutting in or not.
If you lean down to the steering column and hear a characteristic faint relay click while turning the fan blower control up, then there is nothing to modify.

If you dont hear that relay clicking and the fan does not kick into "hurricane" mode when the control is turned fully cw, then you need to modify.

It would be wise to turn off your 400Watts bass & drums before the test :shock:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Dragon Man
BXpert
My Cars: Citroen Dispatch 2.0L HDi 2005
Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley 1991

Post by Dragon Man »

hmm interesting, thanks. theres an interesting thing that happens. when i turn the dial all the way to the cold the fans will work on full speed. but when i bring up the temperature enough to lift the little microswitch (which i assume is something to do with the aircon) the fans go back to very low speed on what should be full speed. ill have to go probing with my tester..
- JohnDragonMan

Drives: Citroen Dispatch with retrofitted air conditioning 8)
Classic Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley named Talon (long term storage)

always buy base spec. that way you have the fun of putting all the cool bit on your vehicle :mrgreen:
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Dragon Man wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:44 am hmm interesting, thanks. theres an interesting thing that happens. when i turn the dial all the way to the cold the fans will work on full speed. but when i bring up the temperature enough to lift the little microswitch (which i assume is something to do with the aircon) the fans go back to very low speed on what should be full speed. ill have to go probing with my tester..

That is sort of normal behaviour John. When temp is on cold you get full speed blowers - plus a gradual increase as the dial is turned. When not on cold i.e. the microswitch is out of the circuit the speed control should still work normally from slow to high speed but not quite as high speed as with the no heat position.
I think the idea is to give a bit of an extra blast when the aircon is on and no heat is required.
If the blower circuit board has been modded to get the extra speed it is possible to kill the normal speed control operation. Don't ask how I know this!!!

Great work by the way. Its very satisfying when the restore is all over and you get to drive the car at last.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

I've (now) got an unmodified Chausson one, and that does indeed operate the relay at full chat (on this car, anyway). The Eledasa ones don't, unless you carry out this modification.

p.s. Hi to people from the Facebook post that sent them here!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

That rather conflicts with previous comments above about the Chausson model. (Thought they were camper vans and they never go fast).

You seem to be combing through the old posts recently Kitch. Interesting.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Needs to get a job, or a better hobby 😁
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Jaba wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:34 am That rather conflicts with previous comments above about the Chausson model. (Thought they were camper vans and they never go fast).

You seem to be combing through the old posts recently Kitch. Interesting.
It does, and I'm not quite sure where those comments came from. My understanding was that the Chausson ones are wired correctly, and the Eledasa ones - for whatever reason - weren't. I've got an unmodified Chausson one (typically from the earlier mk2 cars) and it clicks the relay in and out. It's the only Chausson one I've ever had.

Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Vanny wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:41 pm Needs to get a job, or a better hobby 😁
Haha! I need to declutter my life, but all I seem to be doing is taking more and more on! Definitely need a better hobby - DIY would be a useful one.

In fairness, this one was linked to on the FB post.

bx-flynhi
My Cars: BX19GT

Post by bx-flynhi »

I wonder if this wil solve my problem - on BZ19GT there is what appears to be a relay under the steering column (RHD) that has a big blue and big green wire. When hooked up, the fan speeds up to full but wont turn off - it does go to lower speeds just not off.
When its unhooked, the fan will work but only on COLD ! when i move it to hot, fan stops.
SO i presume this is some sort of relay based on water temp ? Is this the same mod needed then ? Cheers
Jaba
1K Away

Post by Jaba »

Ah that sounds like a problem only aircon BXs could have. If so then it could be the earth fault that has been discussed quite a lot on here. Because as soon as you move off cold there is a small microswitch and lever behind the knob which cuts out the circuit through the high speed fan and the circuit then behaves like a standard BX.