Doseur : that sinking feeling ?

Frequently asked technical questions and common modifications/improvements
Muiruri
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Muiruri »

Thanks KevR, I have a PayPal A/C and a refund would not be an issue. I would be very grateful if you could pick up a set for me when you are ready to work on yours. Any other member willing, that would be nice.
Sammy Muiruri

1988 BX 19 GTi
1976 GS club
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I overhauled my doseur this afternoon, sat outside in the sun.

I know Cauchioskev was concerned about one of the seals :

79 03 065 984 brake O ring - that was coming from Citroen being the wrong size. The one that I bought was fine ( for my 2 slide doseur) and still available as is the other one:

95 495 759 Control unit seal ( these are the two important ones)

Also the end seal for the cap is still available for the later 3 slide doseurs : 95 638 813.

But not for the early (pre 1988) 2-slide doseurs. I took my end seal to a place which sells Viton seals for mineral oils and they matched it within tolerance.

Cauchioskev's photos of the strip and re-build are of the later 3-slide version which I presume most people have. I got a couple of springs switched around while re-assembling and these photos weren't any help. Luckily the TRD that I bought last month as a breaker came with a DIY file of technical stuff and in there I found a complete photo strip and rebuild of a 2- slide doseur by some French dude. I was well chuffed! If anyone needs this now or at some point I can post it.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Muiruri
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Muiruri »

Please let me know how it goes. Mine has become a pain. The car sinks immediately after switching off. The HP pump does not get a rest any more.
Sammy Muiruri

1988 BX 19 GTi
1976 GS club
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

I won't know for a few weeks what the result is, when it goes back on the road. It's part of an ongoing re-habilitation of my BX Break. I've replaced all the hydraulic lines so I thought I'd better sort the doseur which was displaying all the symptoms.

It won't put anymore noticeable load on your pump Sammy, it just doesn't hold the system pressure when switched off - and perhaps slightly compromises brake performance. Though my brakes were spot on.

Next time I go to Citroen I'll get you a set of seals but right now I have no car and it's quite a long bike ride from here. I'll PM you when this is possible. Unfortunately I didn't see your request before my last visit.
Todd

mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Any one with a sinking rear end i would urge to change the accumulator sphere. Had mine done last month, rear end now stays up for a couple of days and i can raise thesuspension without the pump running for a couple of hours.
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

The report on the doseur re-build is that the yellow break now stays up indefinately, well five days so far. Also the brakes are ferociously good though I changed all brake components and new LHM too so that's hard to qualify.

I'm going to strip and re-build a second 2-slide doseur for my TRD as I now know that the Viton seal that I bought to replace the now unavailable one from Citroen does the job. This was my only concern, that it was 1/10th mm 'thinner' though the diameter was the same. I didn't know what sort of tolerances these things had.

So if anyone needs seals for their early 2-slide doseur.. (don't all rush at once!)
Todd

Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Bump.

Photo0066 by willswitchengage, on Flickr

Three hours after parking up, back on the stops, front will probably have sunk in another eight-twelve hours or so. Is this a symptom of the leaky doseur?

Only other suspension issue I can report is the front's often reluctance to go up any further when in normal position (it only seems to into high from lowest... hmm), the rear is happy to go up, down, left, right, shake it all about at will.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Nope. Mine\'s got a new dosuer and sinks at the back within 30mins. Sink time doesn\'t worry me too much; the quicker it sinks the less restrictive the system must be!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Cool beans, only asked as this thread opened with "and worse, the brakes will eventually fail", and I've seen people being uh-ohd elsewhere for fast sink times.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

All I can say about sink times is that my St Tropez had new spheres all round and a new regulator and now stays up for a long time (Days in fact). Prior to this, it went down at the back in an hour or two.
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Mark.T
Confirmed BX'er

Re: Doseur : that sinking feeling ?

Post by Mark.T »

Hello

Not been on the forum for a while - so it's good to see so many BXs still going well! With one of my BXs off the road for a couple of weeks, I might have the chance to replace the seals in the doseur. I ordered two sets in Jan 2011 to pick up when I was in France, so checked back here as I remembered reading a clear description of the job.

On reading Cauchioskev's warning that the one of the seals supplied by Citroen might be the wrong size, I checked my sets (see photo) - and yes, one was the wrong size (top right), and one the correct size (bottom right). They were in different packaging, but both bore the same Citroen part no. Not sure where the incorrect size seal comes from...

Mark T.
Melbourne, Australia
BX16 TRS Auto (Series 1)
BX19 TRS (Series 2)
C3 Pluriel