Erratic Fuel Gauge Reading

Frequently asked technical questions and common modifications/improvements
Brian
BXpert

Erratic Fuel Gauge Reading

Post by Brian »

This was a cure for my problem.

Removal, dismantle, clean and re assemble did the trick.

1.Invert the tube and carefully prise open the indents that locate the bottom plug to the metal tube. Gently remove the plug taking care not to let the float drop off.

2. Keep the unit inverted, and Lift out the 3 no indents that locate the top plug to the metal tube.

4. Carefully withdraw the metal tube.

5. Gently ease apart the two sprung loaded contacts, taking care not to pull them too far apart, and slide the float off of the circuit board.

6. The circuit board is located into the top plug and held in place with 3 No spring loaded contact clips. Gently pull the board from the clips using a rocking motion. care required as the clips may spring off.

7. Clean all contact sutfaces, I used that powder for cleaning copper bottom sauspans, but any mild metal polish would do.

8. Then reassemble in reverse order. Note! The 3 small contact clips can only be replaced one way

Good Luck

cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Ere's another one you might come across in a BX :

Was also gooed up with jelly, and was very slow to respond. That wire coil will last longer than a PCB IMO.
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Never seen one like that, mind you, I have only owned 4 BX's, and all have had the pcb type..