BX Diesel automatic not starting

BX Tech talk
Dyane425
Confirmed BX'er

BX Diesel automatic not starting

Post by Dyane425 »

Occasionally, my BX Diesel refuses to start. Engine does not turn. It always starts on the second attempt. There is no clicking. Occurs when starting cold or hot, once every 2 to 3 weeks. I was using the car daily for work, now drive it 2 to 3 times per week.
I replaced glow plugs 2 months ago. All the connections to battery, alternator and starter motor have been cleaned, and are secure.
Not sure if it is starter motor, or one of the plug in relays underneath the glove box. If it is the latter, which relay would it be?
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: BX Diesel automatic not starting

Post by rutter123 »

I would suspect these first. Faulty solenoid on starter motor, worn ignition switch both of these can give intermittent starting issues both easily checked with a multimeter, I had same issues with my diesel turns out it was a worn ignition switch but only after a new starter was fitted, I found mine played up more during the winter. Should you need any of the above I'm sure I have some switches and several starters used but tested.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Dyane425
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dyane425 »

[quote=rutter123 post_id=264332 time=1516534896 user_id=3200]
I would suspect these first. Faulty solenoid on starter motor, worn ignition switch both of these can give intermittent starting issues both easily checked with a multimeter, I had same issues with my diesel turns out it was a worn ignition switch but only after a new starter was fitted, I found mine played up more during the winter. Should you need any of the above I'm sure I have some switches and several starters used but tested.

Many thanks. Will test solenoid and switch.
Dyane425
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dyane425 »

PM sent
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

I cured mine of exactly this problem by running a lead from the ignition switch , cable 3 I think, direct to the starter solenoid.
This was after changing starter motor , cleaning all connections and putting up with it for far too long.
I tried fitting a push button starter switch too. This worked but upset the ABS ECU so that was a non starter.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Dyane425
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dyane425 »

Many thanks for the advice
Dyane425
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dyane425 »

Continuing to have non starting on the BX Diesel automatic.
Attempted to start 5 times without avail. Put transmission into N instead of P and started instantly.
Same happened later on.
Then started fine in P.
Wondering if non starting related to automatic gearbox fault.
Previously had a faulty fuel filter housing (now resolved), and was cutting out and restarted the car 5 times each journey on the daily commute. Possibly caused strain on the ignition switch/starter motor.
Any ideas/advice gratefully received
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Yes automatics have an inhibitor switch on them that prevent you cranking when in drive or reverse. I would imagine this is your fault. Might just need the connector cleaning. It is located on the gear selector IIRC.

Edit quick search brought this up:

"it is a combined switch on an auto does both, rev lamps and gearbox lock out, it is located on the front top of gearbox with a 4 way plug connector."
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Dyane425
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dyane425 »

Defender110 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:39 pm Yes automatics have an inhibitor switch on them that prevent you cranking when in drive or reverse. I would imagine this is your fault. Might just need the connector cleaning. It is located on the gear selector IIRC.

"it is a combined switch on an auto does both, rev lamps and gearbox lock out, it is located on the front top of gearbox with a 4 way plug connector."

Thanks very much for your help
Will give it a good clean (and if necessary replace) this weekend
Dyane425
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dyane425 »

Defender110 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:39 pm Yes automatics have an inhibitor switch on them that prevent you cranking when in drive or reverse. I would imagine this is your fault. Might just need the connector cleaning. It is located on the gear selector IIRC.

Many thanks. Cleaned up the terminals with wire brush, applied copper grease, and now starts perfectly - in P and N!

I'm considering getting a spare inhibitor switch for the future. Is the combined reverse/inhibitor switch on automatic BXs the same as the reverse switch on manual BXs?
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

No it won't be, as defender 110 says on the auto it is a combined switch incorporating the gearbox lock out and rev light switch on the manual it's purely a rev light switch, I may have a spare 4 pole auto switch somewhere if needed let me know if you still need the ignition switch.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Dyane425
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dyane425 »

rutter123 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:50 pm No it won't be, as defender 110 says on the auto it is a combined switch incorporating the gearbox lock out and rev light switch on the manual it's purely a rev light switch, I may have a spare 4 pole auto switch somewhere if needed let me know if you still need the ignition switch.

Many thanks. I've ordered the correct switch. I'll hang fire on the ignition switch for the time being.
Dyane425
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dyane425 »

Upon further investigation, it appears that the automatic gearbox selector is at fault.
When in Park, the selector lever on top of the automatic gearbox at the front is not in the forward most position; it is actually in reverse, hence the car wont start in reverse. I pulled the lever forward, so it is in the Park position. and the car starts instantly. I've done this a few times, to ensure it's not a blip.
Any ideas on how to adjust the automatic gearbox selector mechanism?
David
BXpert

Post by David »

Before the Automatic box gave out on my car, I had trouble with the selector and non starting issues. The two bolts (or screws, I don't remeber exactly) holding the selector cable came loose so it could move around resulting in the gearbox not being in the gear that was actually shown. Might I suggest checking these bolts on top of the gearbox to see if they are at fault.

I also had an electrical issue that stopped it starting, it would click as if the starter was faulty, but remained the same after I replaced the starter. It turned out to be the wires that go to a relay behind the air filter box; they had rubbed through and were shorting on the body. They connect to the gearbox inhibitor switch and connect between the starter motor wire. Once I removed them because of the different gearbox I had no further issues.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
Dyane425
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dyane425 »

David wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:36 pm Before the Automatic box gave out on my car, I had trouble with the selector and non starting issues. The two bolts (or screws, I don't remeber exactly) holding the selector cable came loose so it could move around resulting in the gearbox not being in the gear that was actually shown. Might I suggest checking these bolts on top of the gearbox to see if they are at fault.

I also had an electrical issue that stopped it starting, it would click as if the starter was faulty, but remained the same after I replaced the starter. It turned out to be the wires that go to a relay behind the air filter box; they had rubbed through and were shorting on the body. They connect to the gearbox inhibitor switch and connect between the starter motor wire. Once I removed them because of the different gearbox I had no further issues.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. The two studs (which appear to be tapped in place) had broken, so I replaced them with 2 x 8 mm nuts and bolts. It's been fine ever since. I cleaned up the inhibitor switch connectors and wires while I was working in this area. I also purchased a new inhibitor switch should this be needed in the future. Part numbers and dimensions:-
CITROEN:- 501310319 or 225729
79880RMP
Calorstat: XRLS 130 5022515133139 6153 08E (X1)
PEUGEOT P225729 (Also fits Peugeot 505 3HP22 Automatic transmission)
THREAD SIZE:- M18 x 1.5
SPANNER SIZE: 27 mm

Often available on Ebay.