nearside steering garter

BX Tech talk
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

nearside steering garter

Post by pwykes »

Hi Chaps,

I have fitted a new garter today, but it does not crush down enough on left lock. As anyone tried cutting a bit off the end of
the gaiter and fitting a jubilee clip. Any other idea's please i am at the end of my tether.

Cheers Phil.
jamescarruthers
BXpert

Re: nearside steering garter

Post by jamescarruthers »

I've seen a few people struggle over the years and it is with aftermarket gaitors. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the solution is to buy Citroen original or a Sasic one (pdf catalogue available on line). Also heard you can unscrew the rod end and then put it back, but I might be thinking of the XM there!

Jeremyc5 had huge difficulties with this last year.

Please someone come and correct me or confirm what I've said as I haven't done it myself just heard about it.
1987 Volvo 480 ES
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG

Previous BX's:
A966 XRL -- BX 16 TRS
H767 BEG -- BX 14 TGE
B316 AMP -- BX 14 E
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

I normally use a cable tie with no probs.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Having read the OP's question, I am puzzled by the above replies.
His problem does not seem to be the usual fitting (and the case of power steering easing it over the ram spigot) but that the concertina section of the gaitor is too long.
I don't think that shortening the gaitor is going to be practical as it will be problematic to then fix the cut gaitor end securely enough. Better to buy another gaitor of the correct proportions. For information, when I did this job, I used aftermarket rubber gaitors on the BX designed for the Xantia which were fine. To be sure though maybe you need to take measurements of the rack end both closed and extended and then compare these measurements to the product being selected. This is of course a pain especially when you want to make an ebay purchase so maybe best in this case to speak to your friendly local factor?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
pwykes
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pwykes »

Thanks for the replies,

The orininal thermoplastic gaiter was highly efficient as it had the ability extent about 7" and then crush down to 1.75" by being thinly made, the rubber gaiter in contrast is thick by its nature thus cutting abit off one end will rob Peter to pay Paul. So i will see how it performs if the end of the gaiter becomes damaged then I will shorten it by a fraction and fit Revotec single wire ducting clamp designed to fit in between bellows. Got ripped off by the first Citroen kit I bought (£29) The car doctor on Ebay sells exactly the same kit (Delphi TBR 3081) for £11.38 Web address search Ebay - Steering Rack Boot Gaiter Centre for CITROEN BX 1.9 GTI w/powersteer Delphi

Cheers Phil.