no window winder!

BX Tech talk
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

no window winder!

Post by tim »

Got a bit of an annoying problem - the drivers' side window winders have both suddenly quit. The r.h. window did stop a couple of weeks ago but it restarted directly and I thought no more of it. Now it's happened again! Both switches are dead and as they have separate power supplies I don't think it's them to blame. All the leads into the door panel are yellow though there is a small square blue marker on one. The plugs to the switches are marked 1-5 on the blocks which is useful - can anyone suggest the live feed to the switch so I can get the window shut before it rains? After that, how to find the problem.... as there is no power into the switches at present there's nothing to trace. The loom of course disappears into the door so following it to the 'source' is not an option. The fuse is OK by the way... and the l.h. window switch is fine. Can it be a sudden bad earth? It's a '92 TXD btw.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Re: no window winder!

Post by Defender110 »

Not sure if it is in your case but nearly always the problem with window switch wiring lies in with wiring loom damage in the door shut.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

Good thought and I had a look but it seems OK. Removing that rubber gaiter is a pig, it didn't want to slide up. I have a needle pencil so if I can ID the live feeds I can trace them through....
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

OK, job done. It was indeed a broken feed wire, but not due to being 'doorstepped', it was just inside the bulkhead entry hole and had obviously just ben twisted beyond normal limits for years. The insulation was still intact but the wire inside had nearly separated. I fixed that, reassembled things and it promptly died again; turned out the huge rubber grommet on the rubber cover had simply pushed the connector off again, so I extended the wire by a few inches and coiled it safely back inside the bulkhead.
No-one had any info on the wiring sequence. Hmmm..are we a bit fewer than we used to be? Anyway, the central wire (no.3) on each block is live, and the window motor feeds are 1 and 5. So yes, when ignition is on there should be power up to the middle terminal constantly. Lucky I had a spare BX to play with and test. Thank you Defender for that useful pointer! Not quite the end of the story though as see above.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Well that was a good find, must have been a nice sense of achievement when you finally pinpointed the break.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
tim
BXpert

Post by tim »

It was - only slightly dampened by the large green puddle under the front. But hopefully (see adjacent post) that too will be sorted next week.
David
BXpert

Post by David »

I'm glad you found the fault.

The wiring sequence, as you've partly said is 3- live (on all positions), (which is fed from the window relay(s)).
If the window is just a single feed (it has just one switch on it) then 1 & 5 are the motor, and 2 & 4 are earth.

If it's a 2 way switch (asin the passenger front window), then on the drivers side: 3 is live, 2 & 4 are earth, and 1 & 5 go to positions 2 & 4 on the passenger side.

On the passenger side, 3 is live, 2 & 4 go to positions 1 & 5 on the drivers side, and 1 & 5 go to the passenger motor.

It's always wired from whichever side the steering wheel is on; it's wired so the drivers door has the negitive and it controls the passenger door, be it the left or right door which is the drivers side.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).