Anti Roll Bar bush

BX Tech talk
Tinkley
1K Away

Anti Roll Bar bush

Post by Tinkley »

Does anyone know any source for an anti roll bar bush? Part No is 95635526. It may be available from France as far as I can ascertain but I have yet to find a UK source. Euro, GSF etc including Chevronics do not have them. Rob said he's never done one!.

As the poxy r/h side one has worn enough to crush the hard return pipes that lead from front strut return pipes through to octopus and even allowed the drop linkl to mark the chassis it does need replacing!. If I drop the drop link and undo the retaining M8s' it should be accessible. I've changed a sub frame but not the bushes.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Re: Anti Roll Bar bush

Post by Kitch »

It's a bearing though, isn't it?? I've never done one, but on the mk1 it's a bearing (unrelated to the wishbone bearing/non-bearing setup).
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Earlier ones were a kind of bearing, but when they changed to bushes in the wishbones, they also changed to bushes for the rollbar (and also recommended retro-fitting that to earlier ones).

Citroen Service are still showing them as available at 15.79 euros each (my CitServ account is set for France).
I need to order some other bits later in the week so I can order one (or two if needed) at the same time and see if they've actually got them if you like.

Just let me know before thursday morning. Best to email me: kevin.raymond'at'wanadoo.fr
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thanks to KevR and Kitch. It is described in French as a 'palier' which is bearing. However the only photo I could find of one was on some Russian BX owners forum!. It looks like a rubber bush not disimilar in style to the later type used on the ZX etc, of course these later and smaller i/d ones are widely available... BX one is 22.5 i/d and 42-44 long and I'm going to assume a one side split rubber item that can be installed pretty easily, just clamped by the ARB mount blocks. I've only ever had MK2 BX and the parts list where I found the part No was for late ie '90 onwards cars. I did try the local Cit dealer but n/a in UK. I've also contacted some Cit dealer in France to see if they'd post to the UK. BTW KevR you will find some slightly discounted ones around, hardly a hot seller in la France.

Fortunately I had a word with my local fount of BX knowledge as to the root of the pipe crushing and he immediately said it's the ARB bearing. I will also check wear on the roll bar too - it may be knackered as well. Good thing, as I might have replaced the twin pipes and crushed the replacements. To get through the MOT inside the 10 day period I will raid the donor, but would be better to put in a new bit of rubber. BTW Rob at Chevronics has never done one, there are few references on this forum to the bushes. It may be just old age on the rubber, car has done 93k hardly a high miler and even on the highest miler I've had 175k I've never had one go. Wishbone bushes are not exactly great but should pass, and I changed the drop links last year so they should come out OK.

Will e-mail you KevR.
KevR
1K Away
My Cars: It's all in my signature

Post by KevR »

Tinkley wrote:I'm going to assume a one side split rubber item that can be installed pretty easily, just clamped by the ARB mount blocks. I've only ever had MK2 BX and the parts list where I found the part No was for late ie '90 onwards cars.

It's the same part for all BXs after May 1987 (up to ORGA number 03856). It is indeed a split bush so shouldn't be a problem to change in situ. It's part number 4 in this diagram from Citroen Service - worth signing up if you haven't already as it makes sourcing bits much easier. You can check the original part number, makse sure its is actually right for your particular car, then check prices and availability. Sometimes you'll find it's actually cheaper to order stuff from a dealer if still available than from Ebay or a factor. For example I need a set of rear arm bearing seals, part no. 515414. Straight from main dealer, 5.72 euros each. From Ebay £6.48 each...
Attachments
00059063.jpg
1990 BX TZD Estate ('the grey one', 1991 BX TZD Estate ('the white one'), 1982 2CV6 Charleston (in bits), 1972 AZU Serie B (2CV van), 1974 HY72 Camper, 1990 Land Rover 110 diesel LWB, 1957 Mobylette AV76, 1992 Ducati 400SS, 1966 VW Beetle, 1990 Mazda MX-5, 1996 Peugeot 106D, 1974 JCB 2D MkII, 1997 BMW R1100RS, 1987 Suzuki GSX-R1100, 1978 Honda CX500A, 1965 Motobecane Cady, 1988 Honda Bros/Africa Twin, 1963 Massey Ferguson 825, and a lot of bicycles!
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

KevR wrote:Earlier ones were a kind of bearing, but when they changed to bushes in the wishbones, they also changed to bushes for the rollbar (and also recommended retro-fitting that to earlier ones).

Citroen Service are still showing them as available at 15.79 euros each (my CitServ account is set for France).
I need to order some other bits later in the week so I can order one (or two if needed) at the same time and see if they've actually got them if you like.

Just let me know before thursday morning. Best to email me: kevin.raymond'at'wanadoo.fr

You learn something every day! :)

Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thanks for the parts diagram. I may have something missing!. There's nothing to stop the ARB from moving sideways on this car and it has.... it looks like the two pillow block clamp parts are missing. BTW replacing the bush is not in itself that hard just fiddly and you have to let the rear bolt of the front sub frame slack a few mm to get the upper part of the bush clamp to locate correctly.

The Haynes only shows the early version - both Brown and Blue manuals but mentions the bush change in one of them. I'm going to check the 'donor' to see if I can liberate any pillow block clamps if they are on that one.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

The top alloy clamps have a nasty habit of seizing onto the steel studs from the subframe usually the forward ones are worse, before removal i would advise soaking in penetrating oil or heating the alloy up can free them off.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Thanks rutter. As it happens I had no problem with the top alloy block - even drove it off with a hamer and jemmy against the geometry!!!. The lower I realised was polarised by the extended tube piece for the 16mm AF bolt with captive nut. On reassembly I realised I had to lower the subframe to get it to go back... so I did. You are right these bolts can get pretty scabby with corrosion but they were pretty good on this car. I did clean and lightly grease the threads on reassmbly.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Further on to the bush/bearing thing:

Do we know if the switch from ARB bearings coincided with the switch from wishbone bearings? Because my Dad's GT has ARB bearings, but wishbone bushes. Trying to figure out if it was supposed to have bearings from new or not.

Tinkley
1K Away

Post by Tinkley »

Don't forget the wishbone bushes were also a retrofit ie a MK1 could be changed from 14mm pin with needle rollers to 16mm pin with the rubber bushes. Wishbone remains the same AFAIK and subframe. The ARB bearings were changed as KevR notes above with ID number of car.
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Tinkley wrote:Don't forget the wishbone bushes were also a retrofit ie a MK1 could be changed from 14mm pin with needle rollers to 16mm pin with the rubber bushes. Wishbone remains the same AFAIK and subframe. The ARB bearings were changed as KevR notes above with ID number of car.

That's what I was thinking. I was trying to figure out if my Dad's GT would have had bearings originally, and had been changed, or whether some cars were fitted with bush subframes, but with bearing ARB setups.

Date-wise, the GT should be the later subframe, as it's October '85.