LHM reservoir filler cap?

BX Tech talk
motorgnome
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 19 TRI, Mk1 MG Metro, Mk1 Metro VP, Triumph Dolomite Sprint, Lexus LS400

LHM reservoir filler cap?

Post by motorgnome »

G'Day from OZ again!

Is there a replacement for the LHM filler cap available , as mine won't stay in place & makes a mess.

Cheers, Jason
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: LHM reservoir filler cap?

Post by Way2go »

The caps are usually a loose fit but if you are experiencing a "mess" then it is likely you have a suspension or other component failure and one or more returns have become too vigorous.
Particularly worth locally checking the returns from the struts because if there is a high bypass of fluid on these and their returns blow off or rupture, you will lose most of your LHM in a very short distance. :o

(I am presuming it is not something simple like that you have overfilled the reservoir and it is overflowing when the car settles after driving? :wink: )
1991 BX19GTi Auto
motorgnome
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: BX 19 TRI, Mk1 MG Metro, Mk1 Metro VP, Triumph Dolomite Sprint, Lexus LS400

Post by motorgnome »

Thanks for the reply. The BX is my first Citroen & it is an exciting learning curve. I have the whole suspension ,crossmember , brakes out & apart, renewing octopus, rack bushes, drop links, ball joints, lower/inner bushes etc, and cleaning everything. Everything is just so damn oily & filthy, I've spent ages cleaning stuff up. Under the LHM reservoir and along the chairs rail is (was) just thick with filth. So when I see that the reservoir cap doesn't really fit, I assumed that's a problem ..especially when there is a breather pipe from the cap going into the inner wing..

But I will check out the returns.. I really don't like being stranded, so any checks I can do to prevent that are helpful. Besides, LHM is too expensive to waste!

Cheers!
motorgnome
Confirmed BX'er

Post by motorgnome »

Well, I've "fixed" the loose filler cap, easily enough.
Turning the cap up side down, I pressed a thick o ring, in between the white plastic oil separator & the cap. This spread the cap, allowing a snug fit. Yay