Bx diesel starting problem

BX Tech talk
BXurbane

Bx diesel starting problem

Post by BXurbane »

My Bx turbo diesel starts from cold but with a cloud of blue smoke and then a very lumpy idle. Once it is warmed up it runs without any smoke or problems. I am wondering if a glow plug may have failed causing it no run on three cylinders until it has warmed up. Does any one have any suggestions?
womble3go
Confirmed BX'er

Re: Bx diesel starting problem

Post by womble3go »

Hi, Mine is having the same sort starting as yours, my feeling is that it could be one of the injectors playing up Iam going to put some injector clean thought and see what it does.

I was waiting to see what it like when it gets cold for staring as that in the past with my other BXs sorts out if the glow plugs are playing or not.
Dave_16v
BXpert
My Cars: BX 16 Valve Ph 2 Current
BX 16 valve Ph 1 past
BX Gti past
BX Gti Auto past
ZX Volcane keeping others going

Post by Dave_16v »

It could easily be a glow plug, they can be removed and seen to glow red hot within 5 seconds when 12v is applied. They are pretty cheap so if they have not been replaced in the past it is worth doing. There could also be a fault with the relay which is not keeping them on. Certain conditions met turn them off, temp and throttle use but in theory they should stay on whilst needed. My XUD diesel benefitted from new plugs and solved symptoms you have. After the above there are other more mechanical issues but I would check the easy stuff first, plugs will fail sometime so a new set is nice to have.
Check all the connections as well and not discounting the above suggestion either.
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
Cleon-Fonte
My Cars: 1986 Rover SD1 VDP EFi
1992 Citroen BX TZD Hurricane
2002 Daihatsu Sirion EL

Post by Cleon-Fonte »

It's just as likely to be air in the fuel system as glowplug-related. Check the fuel filter housing, fuel lines and injectors for any points of air ingress as a first resort, if they're all fine also check the fuel heater unit on the rear of the engine, which is a common failure point.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Most probably glow plug, they can be tested in situ by measuring their resistance with a multi-meter to determine if you have a duff one. You just need to remove the feed wires before testing. Set the meter to measure resistance (ohms setting) and put the black probe to the battery negative and the red one onto the glow plug terminal. you should get a resistance of about 2 ohms from a good plug. If you do have a duff one it is advisable to change all 4 like Dave suggested.
Air in the system can cause rough running but would most likely prevent starting first. Air 'points of ingress' are only before the lift pump i.e tank to lift pump including the fuel pre-heater, any leaks after the lift pump would be diesel leaking out not air drawing in.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Rosieuk
My Cars: Hyundai Accent 1.3 GSI LE 2005

Post by Rosieuk »

BXurbane wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:34 am My Bx turbo diesel starts from cold but with a cloud of blue smoke and then a very lumpy idle. Once it is warmed up it runs without any smoke or problems. I am wondering if a glow plug may have failed causing it no run on three cylinders until it has warmed up. Does any one have any suggestions?

Does it have performance issues when you're driving it? If so it might be pinhole in fuel line that's allowing air in. If it is be aware it might be completely invisible to the naked eye. Neighbour had problem with diesel Landcruiser that suddenly wouldn't make more than 40mph and idled like a bag of hammers in a cement mixer (and it sounds like a Soviet tank at the best of times). Went through whole fuel system, nothing, and again, nothing. Turned out to be a tiny pinhole/collapse that caused rough idle by blocking fuel line (low fuel pressure internal collapse) and pitiful high speed performance by opening up the hole and squirting diesel out (high pressure fuel loss). Probably one of the most laid back people I've met, after two weeks of searching he was not a happy bunny..
If even one of the glow plugs on an older engine has died then the symptoms sound right, but it might also be the electrical harness from the ignition that's under performing - not enough current, sickly plugs. Might conceivably be the battery, but then the starter would be slow..
tim
BXpert
My Cars: 2 1992 BX TXD estates

Post by tim »

Hi. My red 19 TXD has had this problem since I've had it. (7 years). When the weather is warm you don't really notice it but as it gets colder you really, really do. Preheat until the relay goes 'click', she will then start OK but it's cough, cough for about ten seconds then it gradually settles down. Road performance is absolutely fine, so whatever is causing it is ONLY present when starting from cold. Hot starting is also fine. I replaced all four glowplugs last summer
but not expecting any result because I don't think it is the plugs. And so it proved.... I seem to have voltage to them. The suggestion of inserting a clear tube in the fuel pipe to watch for bubbles is good, but I haven't had time to do that yet due to a house move. Ideas?