Alternator change and ride height

BX Tech talk
AdrianO
Confirmed BX'er

Alternator change and ride height

Post by AdrianO »

Am I right in thinking that removal of the alternator pivot bolt to replace the alternator requires a prerequisite minimum suspension height, so that the bolt can accept a spanner and then be withdrawn under the wheel arch strutwork (or alternatively for the car to be jacked up first onto axle stands to effect same)?

With the ride height dropped (as per usual :() I can't for the life of me see how else one could get the alternator off the vehicle (BX Meteor).
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Alternator change and ride height

Post by rutter123 »

The alternator usually comes out from the top, I cant see that the suspension setting will make any difference. Can you remove the mounting bracket from the engine block?
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
AdrianO
Confirmed BX'er

Post by AdrianO »

Ah ha... didn't think of that one. (Neither did Haynes :? ). Looks straightforward now in theory. I have the obvious bracket securing bolt out from under the inlet manifold, but the bracket is well stuck on. I can't see any other bolts that also need removing, so I'm guessing it just need bashing out.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

You just need to undo the through bolt, not remove it, using a 21mm cranked ring spanner. If you free it from the threads the alternator will lift off the bracket (albeit with the usual BX difficulty).
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

I wouldn't recommend bashing the bracket it could crack the casting or cause further damage, Mr Jaba has given the best advice, a simple solution to your problem. I'm guessing yours is a petrol engine, a little more fiddly but doable without too much hassle, just be careful you don't damage the radiator when getting the alternator out.
AdrianO
Confirmed BX'er

Post by AdrianO »

Done now. Indebted for the advice. 21mm gets the pivot bolt undone - not quite enough clearance behind the bolt to work the ring end, but the open end, at an angle where there's room to lever it, does it. I needed to go buy one.

With the alternator out, the mounting bracket situation becomes transparently and horribly clear. There is a second bolt holding it low down, but the lower part of the bracket (it's sort of L-shaped) is used to secure the hydraulic pump. So bashing out the bracket - if successful - would almost certainly wreck the unions on the pump, and quite possibly tarfu the pump itself, as well as the bracket of course.
rutter123
Over 2k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k

Post by rutter123 »

Bashing any part of an engine with a hammer is never a good thing, and if you damage the hydraulic pump or pipework you could end up in a world of pain and could cost £100's to replace, there are a few hidden bolts on a bx, so if in any doubt of how to assemble/disassemble anything seek. advice rather than empty your wallet. Advice is free and there's plenty of bxaholics on here should you need some.
AdrianO
Confirmed BX'er

Post by AdrianO »

My bad - "bash" would be verboten here. [-X

I had a senior moment not realizing from pics of the alternator that one of the lower mounting lugs is open, meaning the pivot bolt does not need to be extracted through it. And now the whole thread is document... :oops: