Looking for 1.4 TGE or 1.7TZD

Advertise your car for sale here. No parts or eBay spots in here please.
Rosieuk
My Cars: Hyundai Accent 1.3 GSI LE 2005

Looking for 1.4 TGE or 1.7TZD

Post by Rosieuk »

I'm not working for health reasons and I'm sick to death of all the electronics and bills and stress resulting thereof. Looking for one of the two models mentioned above and would prefer a straight swap if possible (since flush with cash I'm not and a working vehicle is absolutely essential).
Mine is fairly unique, it's had alot of new parts and stuff like timing belt has been done (54k), new front brakes, alloys (getz cdx) new battery and tyres within 10k, upgraded radio and interior, new front dampers and rhs lower suspension arm (tired suspension mount but too much work for garage to just replace that..), and a few aero modifications as well. New cat as of 2 weeks ago. Average mpg around 40-42 which is good for mostly short journeys.
Incidentally does anyone have real world fuel consumption figures for the 1.4? I can find the Citroën ones but I've learned through experience that factory ones can be cloud cuckoo land (like the 1.6 hdi that's supposed to manage 80mpg average (currently doing 55).
I don't know if this might help people but the douvrin efi engine does seem to benefit from setting up a warm air intake as far as mpg is concerned, makes as much as 3mpg difference in 2.2 12v Safrane. I'm not sure of effect on carb engines.

Thanks

Rosie

PS are there problems with pics on here.. Some aren't showing up?
mat_fenwick

Re: Looking for 1.4 TGE or 1.7TZD

Post by mat_fenwick »

Hello and welcome to the forum! What car are you wanting to swap with?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

The 1.4 TU petrol engine in a manual BX turns in between 36 and 42 mpg depending on whether you're driving in town or on a run.

I'm thinking of moving on my BX14TE St Tropez, but I'm not looking for a swap and mine won't be a bargain basement car as I've spent a small fortune getting her to where she is now. I think you will seriously limit your options by looking for a swap - I'd suggest you sell the Getz and then look out for a suitable car. Typically, a good TZD will be command more money than a 14TGE in similar condition, but it's getting harder to predict as prices seem to be rising.
BX14TE St Tropez 1990 - now sold
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Rosieuk

Post by Rosieuk »

mat_fenwick wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:27 pm Hello and welcome to the forum! What car are you wanting to swap with?

Car is a Hyundai Accent LCII, one of the last made. 1341cc manual w 86hp. Various upgrades and new parts. GSi spec + unique interior (I know, I designed & installed it). Almost exactly the same size as a BX saloon, but slightly heavier. It'll come fitted with sdhc stereo with 3.5mm & USB inputs.
Rosieuk

Post by Rosieuk »

Des Smith wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:36 pm The 1.4 TU petrol engine in a manual BX turns in between 36 and 42 mpg depending on whether you're driving in town or on a run.

That's pretty much the same as the 1341 12v in the Accent. You might get a little more with a wai, especially on long journeys. Thanks for the info, it looks like the Citroën figures from the time bore some relation to reality, they don't seem to now..
I'd rather sell than swap but since the NHS has managed over the years to completely destroy my health, money is tight.
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Sorry to hear about your health issues - not a great place to be. I also have a Xsara Forte 1.4i which has the same engine but is a heavier car, is fuel-injected and the gearing is different. I took both cars across France last summer and clocked up 2000 miles. The Xsara turned in 42mpg against the BX’s 38 over some quite demanding roads. Trundling up the motorway at a steady 110km/h, the Xsara would do up to 46 mpg so pretty frugal.

Regards Citroen fuel figures, I gather they are now running real-world fuel consumption tests with all their new cars, so they should approximate reality.
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987
Rosieuk

Post by Rosieuk »

Des Smith wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:30 pm Sorry to hear about your health issues - not a great place to be. I also have a Xsara Forte 1.4i which has the same engine but is a heavier car, is fuel-injected and the gearing is different. I took both cars across France last summer and clocked up 2000 miles. The Xsara turned in 42mpg against the BX’s 38 over some quite demanding roads. Trundling up the motorway at a steady 110km/h, the Xsara would do up to 46 mpg so pretty frugal.

Regards Citroen fuel figures, I gather they are now running real-world fuel consumption tests with all their new cars, so they should approximate reality.
My mother just got a new C3 1.6hdi - Citroën figures 80mpg mixed, actual reality 54-57mpg. Which isn't bad for a 1600 turbo diesel but it isn't what's advertised. Hyundai are as bad on the new ones, but the best one has to be Mercedes, with a low oil light, on a totally sealed engine (yep, you literally cannot top up the oil, but you can have a sealed engine that is low on oil..). Or the MOT advisories about parts that came built in from the factory.
As for those cretinous gear shift indicators, that invariably think 1500rpm is redline, on those I'll keep silent..
Des Smith
1K Away

Post by Des Smith »

Des Smith wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:30 pmRegards Citroen fuel figures, I gather they are now running real-world fuel consumption tests with all their new cars, so they should approximate reality.

More on this... I found the report in Auto Express from 2016 that carried the story:
Auto Express wrote: PSA Peugeot Citroen has published real world fuel consumption figures for 30 of its cars, with Citroen, Peugeot and DS models found on average 22mpg less efficient than their claimed figures suggest... The decision to publish real world fuel economy figures follows a much-applauded pledge of transparency from the PSA Group. Following last year's emissions and fuel economy scandals... The measurements were made on public roads open to traffic, with 25km (15.5 miles) in urban, 39km (24.23 miles) in rural, and 31km (19.26 miles) on motorways, with passengers and luggage on board. A portable emissions measurement system (PEMS) - identical to those which will be used in the upcoming Real Driving Emissions tests - was used to record average fuel consumption.
Here's the link for the complete article: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/peugeot/94 ... or-30-cars

To be honest, I don't ever remember taking manufacturers' fuel consumption figures as gospel because they are optimised lab tests. I'm a little surprised why anyone else would either. We should at least give PSA credit for moving towards more accurate figures.

I've always thought that since every owner has a different driving style, the only real way of knowing what mpg to expect is to drive it and crunch your own numbers.
Xsara Forte 1.4i 2000
Kawasaki GPz550A4 1987