Citroen BX Newcastle *SOLD*

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
vnd
Confirmed BX'er

Citroen BX Newcastle *SOLD*

Post by vnd »

Year: 1990

Mileage: 160,000

Tax: 03/2013 (Nearly 6 months)

MOT: 10/2013 (12 months) NO advisories.

Pics: Pics are below, ask for more if youd like them.

Price:best offers,very negotiable poss PX (see below)

Contact details: PM for jellybone number if interested in viewing.

Hello all,
Bought this Olympic Blue (everyone loves a bit of blue) as a first car for my girlfriend. Who was not at all impressed. Not at all. So I cleaned it up, did a few jobs on it, even put a Hello Kitty air freshener in it for her, but to no avail. She still doesnt like it. And now she doesnt like me. So the BX has to go.

Engine:

Shes a fiesty 1.4 TU.
Uses no fluid, doesnt blow smoke and pulls well throughout its rev range.
Cam Belt done 12k ago. Manual choke operates well and shes off the choke after a couple of mins.

Gearbox and clutch:
All gears engage as they should. Changes are smooth and the clutch bites as it should with no slipping or complaint.

Body:
She wears her age and miles very well, but is not perfect.
There is one dent in a rear passenger door (visable in pics) Has had a patch one one rear arch (under the door shut, can be seen in pics) at some time in the past but the underside is absolutley solid. The MOT man remarked at how solid it was for a car of this age (dont they all?). It is remarkably solid though, any inspection welcome.

Suspension
Strut return pipe leak repaired for MOT. One pipe had snapped in half, one had come undone.
No further leaks. Checked all pipework.
Tick time is about 4-5 seconds so guessing she might need an accumulator sphere. That seems to be the general consensus anyway.

Wheels/Breaks:
All OEM.
Tyres are all good. As is the spare.
Brakes are amazing. Stop the car on an A4 piece of paper. Not that I have tried.

Interior/Glass:
Interior is doing well for its age, the drivers seat bolster has been repaired by a former owner who was not a proffesional at doing sewing. Doesnt look too bad though, and its all secure.
Glass is all good - one v small shallow chip on the far right of the screen, out of field of vision. I spent a day cleaning and hoovering the interior. Hasnt really made a great deal of difference.

Features:
Has toys!
Electric front windows for the lazy.
Electric Sunroof which works and doesnt leak.
Electrically operated central locking. Works on all 5 locks from the key.
Hillarious LIGHTS ON warning siren that scares the life out of you every time you turn the ignition off with the lights on.
PAS.
Locking petrol cap. Beat the petrol thieves! don't let Them win!

Bad points (or points worth noting, depending on your outlook to Retro Ownership)

Interior clock doesnt work.

Mis-matched rear bumper. Someone has tried to spray the silver trim, then given up after a couple of inches.

Passenger side headlight seal not doing its job as a seal. Sealed with Duct tape at the moment, replacement headlight included in sale.

Front panel of the dash ash-tray falls off as it pops out it its aggressive, spring loaded manner.

Drivers side Electric window functions but needs replacing - missing a tooth or two on the motor. Gets 90% up and then judders and drops half an inch. Can be pushed up the last 10% with your palm/elbow. Remains securely closed once closed.

Fw cigarette burns on seats (shown in pics)

Instrument binacle squeaks in the cabin. In fact, lots of things in the cabin squeak.

Brucey Bonus:
1.4 means economy, reasonable power, cheap tax, classic insurance (Im on £130 fully comp with FMJ).

Pics:

A lot of the pics are with the adjustable suspension low.
This is because I set it that way to look cooler. Its not a fault with the system.
Can take more pics if required.

Price is negotiable. I'm a realist and realise I wont get my money back for cash laid out, but wont drop to silly scrap money for a car with T&T.

Feel free to PM with any questions or for my phone number.

Located in NE30, Cullercoats Bay. I'll even throw in a bag of seaside chips with the sale! (wont stretch to a fish supper though!)
Last edited by vnd on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vnd
Confirmed BX'er

Re: 1990 Citroën BX 14TGE Newcastle

Post by vnd »

Just to add more detail:

There is some history, but not by any means comprehensive
Highlights:
Filters, oil, plugs, aux belts, cam cover gasket and Timing belt kit at 147755 miles.
Disks, pads, downpipe, LHM, Rear suspension height correction valve at 142176 miles.
MOTS and history stretch back to 38000 miles.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

I would like to call first dibs on this please chaps.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

:D Only if you stop off at MK for a cuppa on the way to or preferably on the way back from collecting it
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Perhaps on the way back Mick, as we will probably be passing not that far from you! Looks like we may be flying up and making a weekend of it :) drunk

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

I'm very sad to announce that I will have to relinquish my dib on this BX. Steve and I gave chatted and done some sums, and we've worked out if we continue to rent two garages (one is full of crap at the moment that needs clearing) for the future then we won't have enough money for a decent house-deposit when we have to move out of this house at the end of 2014.

I can't remember who i've told what, but to make sense our master plan is to buy house no.2 after living in the current house (rent free and bills only, looking after for an uncle who is retiring here roughly at the end of 2014). As the current situation in rent free, and our house we have rented out to cover the mortgage, we have forecast that we'll have roughly a 20K deposit by the time we have to leave this house.

So in context, the more we spend now (feels like we do have money to spend, when it should all be going straight into a savings account), the less we'll have to spend on our next house - so buying another car, getting it and storing it roughly equates to £1200 out of the deposit (by the end of 2014). It's not much in the grand scheme of things, but the bigger our deposit the more expensive (so better/bigger/more land with) a house we can afford! So after we have said house, can I really start to play with and acquire more cars. By the time i'm 30 I would like a BX14 (maybe a 16 too) and a 1980-1985 Cadillac Seville bustleback :).

I think it's good to have plans! And I do know i'm sad and anal :lol:

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Does that mean we won't be seeing "What car shall I buy?" threads every 3 months then? ;P

(simples: get rid of the crap and put a car in the 2nd garage :D)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
1991 TZD hatch (Triton Green)
1992 Hurricane
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

If the astras had it you are going to have to replace it with something Tom, at least the 14 has a years mot and tax on it
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
vnd
Confirmed BX'er

Post by vnd »

Looks like a lad on Retro Rides is keen on a swap for a short-ticket 306 with a pleasing appetite for vegetable juice (Which the other half is in favour of piloting), so the Beg-er might be heading down to Leeds soon.
I'll point him in the direction of the forum if the swap goes ahead.

I would obviously prefer some actual money over a high mileage 306 that needing some MOT and some Tax, so anyone who fancies, feel free to offer me some.
Last edited by vnd on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothman

Post by Mothman »

So, the girlfriend prefers a diesel pug 306 to a BX? What about a TZD then? Much faster ime sure. :D

Andy
vnd
Confirmed BX'er

Post by vnd »

Mothman wrote:So, the girlfriend prefers a diesel pug 306 to a BX? What about a TZD then? Much faster ime sure. :D

Andy
I think its the size and the visabilty really man. She can handle a 205/306 but the BX does "feel" a lot bigger.

Id frankly walk over hot coals and sell my 309 (which I love) for a GOOD BXTD.
Theyre the holy grail of diesel french enthusiasts.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Caffiend wrote:Does that mean we won't be seeing "What car shall I buy?" threads every 3 months then? ;P

(simples: get rid of the crap and put a car in the 2nd garage :D)
Yes, no more of those :oops: the problem is, I see something I really like and look in my bank to see enough money in there, then think I could clear that garage and put it/astra in there. But realistically I shouldn't be buying anything until we've got our next house as the money maths leave very little room for spending... Reality has landed; it's sensible, and thoroughly dull - but, it's necessary. With the second garage, we really need to clear it and stop paying for wasted space, it'd free up £416 a year!

The astra, now it's not being continuously ruined by Domino's has been behaving remarkably well for the last two days. The suspension is still crashy and clunky but the autochoke is now working spot on, and the clutch judder has gone. I don't think it was knackered, I think I was just slowly killing it and it was protesting :) I really enjoyed driving it home today, after a day of off and on delivering in a 12 plate VW Caddy, which was quite crap - there was no power (astra felt much much faster!) and you just had to breathe on the brakes to scream to a halt. So astra will be staying, might see how much it'll cost in labour to farm out replacing the suspension, as I already have the parts. That will improve it lots I think, and I can slowly do other bits on my weekends and evenings off - i'd really like to have all the interior out and dynamat it, and put it back together so there are no more trim rattles! I know if I sold it i'd really regret it, we've been through and done so much together, I would have to get it back if I sold it.

I do still have the GT to sort out though, hopefully starting next week. Now that I have evenings free, we're socially busy every evening this week!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Why don't you buy the missus a nice 340 Volvo instead of a 306. 1.4's manual or vario are pretty cool cars and fairly cheap to run
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

vnd
Confirmed BX'er

Post by vnd »

Mickey taker wrote:Why don't you buy the missus a nice 340 Volvo instead of a 306. 1.4's manual or vario are pretty cool cars and fairly cheap to run
Theyre not cheap to run Mick. Ive had three 340s.
mid 20s MPG on a Vario if youre careful. Maybe 27-28-29MPG on a B14 manual. And no PAS on any model. I'd need to get a B17 or 360 for PAS. And to be honest, the values are through the roof at the minute because of the populalarity of Driftingz.
I cant afford a good one anymore.
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

Lol I know you've had two you Muppet,
That was a very tongue in cheek post you tattooed faux Geordie
1991 BX Meteor 1.6