Shims for rear trailing arm

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
frenchy
My Cars: BX x 2
Xantia 2.1 Break
Xantia 1.9 Saloon
Xantia HDI Break
Proton (now sold for scrap)
Supra x 2
Audi x 5 (now 4)
XM Break

Shims for rear trailing arm

Post by frenchy »

Know these are nla but hoping just the same, looking for the shims to be used when replacing rear trailing arm bearings.

Have tried Rob Moss, Doug Weston and many Citroen parts suppliers. Does anybody have any for sale? We are hoping to do the bearings on Saturday.

I am in Coventry at the moment, Really? is in Oxford and we will be working on the car in Bicester so would be able to pick up if not too far away.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: Shims for rear trailing arm

Post by Jaba »

I am not sure that they are essential. Their function is to get the right amount of endfloat on the bearings.

If you fit the bearings without shims and tighten the throughbolt in the arm off the car and it is not too stiff to turn then there is nothing to worry about unless there is too much endfloat and even then a small amount of play will be hugely better than the worn out bearings you are replacing.
You may find you can reuse the existing shims if you want to. But always check the setup off the car before refitting.

This is what I have always done and they last for years as long as you pack the inner plastic sleeve with runny grease to keep the new bearings lubed.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Post by rutter123 »

Agreed with Jaba, I've rebuilt loads of rear arms and never felt the need for shims, with new bearings spacers and central steel tube fitted all the "slack" should be taken up.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Kaapelimies
BXpert

Post by Kaapelimies »

I have measured the needed distances, and always the endfloat has been good _without_ the original shim, when using all new parts, including bushings. If you mix, your mileage will vary. And, old chaps working with machinery, say the endfloat sould be 0 in this kind of bearings, instead of citroen telling 0.20 (or something like that). Just if it's too tight it will kill the bearings in no-time.
BX 4x4 estate, several BX Van's and some more normal estates in Finland.