BX Tech talk
Jugostran
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 Cimos-Citroën BX 16 TRS
2007 BMW 318D (the "company car")

Weak Hydraulic Pump

Post by Jugostran »

Hey all!
I have a quick question about my HP pump. I recently had the pressure regulator rebuilt, so that is no longer causing issues. However, there are still issues possibly related to the HP pump.
The symptoms are as follows;
1) The power steering feels really weak at low speeds (to be completely honest it feels like it doesn't have power steering at all)
2) When the pressure regulator valve clicks, the car enters this really long phase where the HP pump makes this awful (and almost grinding) noise. However, when I blip the throttle the engine stops struggling and starts running fine.
3) A bit of an extension of point 2). When the pressure regulator clicks, the engine RPM drops dramatically and the entire car starts shaking. It does eventually stop, but again I usually just blip the throttle in order for it to restore to a stable idle.
Is this indicative of a bad HP pump, or is something else to blame?
Proudly daily driving a 1989 BX 16 TRS since 2021

rutter123
Over 2k
My Cars: 90 Bx Tzd turbo ven red 295k
74 D Super 5 black
05 Volvo V50 2.0d 180k
65 Peugeot Boxer work van 280k

Re: Weak Hydraulic Pump

Post by rutter123 »

Yes sounds like Yr H. P pump is struggling to maintain pressure, no PAS on cold starts is indicative of this, also worth checking that your accumulator sphere isn't flat/dead.
H. P pumps can be rebuilt if you can find a small engineering company to do it, the "top hats" inside the pump will need a re-grind with new springs/seals etc, there is a shop here in UK that do it for around £200 on an exchange basis, not sure on facilities where you are.
I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere.
Getting the pulley off the pump and opening the pump is quite a job in itself.
90 BX Tzd turbo 294k SORN undergoing major surgery
90 BX Tzd turbo estate 46k awaiting surgery
65 Peugeot Boxer Van the new workhorse
52 Toyota Rav4 180k Bulletproof Jap reliability
Jugostran
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 Cimos-Citroën BX 16 TRS
2007 BMW 318D (the "company car")

Re: Weak Hydraulic Pump

Post by Jugostran »

rutter123 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:05 am Yes sounds like Yr H. P pump is struggling to maintain pressure, no PAS on cold starts is indicative of this, also worth checking that your accumulator sphere isn't flat/dead.
H. P pumps can be rebuilt if you can find a small engineering company to do it, the "top hats" inside the pump will need a re-grind with new springs/seals etc, there is a shop here in UK that do it for around £200 on an exchange basis, not sure on facilities where you are.
I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere.
Getting the pulley off the pump and opening the pump is quite a job in itself.
The accumulator sphere is new, so I think a new HP pump is in order. I suspect I can get one for way less here in Serbistan.
Thank you for taking the time to explain it all. I was asking just to make sure before I go ahead and order parts.
Proudly daily driving a 1989 BX 16 TRS since 2021