BX Tech talk
Jugostran
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 Cimos-Citroën BX 16 TRS
2007 BMW 318D (the "company car")

Oil leak on the timing advance

Post by Jugostran »

Hey all!
I am just getting started with overhauling the engine of my BX, and a thing that has been bothering me is this oil leak. I think it is coming from under the starter actuator, but I could be wrong. (indeed I was, check PS)
Me and another chap who are working on the car don't have a clue on how to fix it, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Notice how the yellow vacuum line is coated with oil. I suspect the insides of the advance are also gummed up.
EDIT:
Also, ignore the fact that there is oil on the advance itself. This is from the fuel pump which started leaking recently.
PS;
I have since learned that this isn't a "started actuator", but is instead the timing advance on the distributor.
Last edited by Jugostran on Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Proudly daily driving a 1989 BX 16 TRS since 2021

Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: Oil leak next to the fuel pump

Post by Jaba »

Its not clear to me what the starter actuator is. It looks to me like the timing advance on the distributor. If I am correct then the leak will be coming from the distributor, either from the base where it is held in the cylinder head which is sealed with an o-ring or the distributor can also leak via its central shaft, a new dizzie is the easiest way to fix that.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Jugostran
BXpert

Post by Jugostran »

Jaba wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:13 pm Its not clear to me what the starter actuator is. It looks to me like the timing advance on the distributor. If I am correct then the leak will be coming from the distributor, either from the base where it is held in the cylinder head which is sealed with an o-ring or the distributor can also leak via its central shaft, a new dizzie is the easiest way to fix that.
Ahhh, so that's the distributor. I'll get that O ring changed out and the distributor replaced.
Just one question. What size O ring do I use?
Many thanks for the answer!

Jugostran
BXpert

Post by Jugostran »

Jaba wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:13 pm Its not clear to me what the starter actuator is. It looks to me like the timing advance on the distributor. If I am correct then the leak will be coming from the distributor, either from the base where it is held in the cylinder head which is sealed with an o-ring or the distributor can also leak via its central shaft, a new dizzie is the easiest way to fix that.
I did a bit of work in the area around the distributor.
I cleaned the contacts on the timing advance and changed the thermal interface stuff that was there from factory.
Trouble is, I am a bit afraid to touch anything related to the distributor because I don't want to mess up the timing.
What should I look out for before I remove it? I want to give it a once over and determine whether I can repair it or do I need to replace it.