LHM hardline replacement

BX Tech talk
szhrr5cc
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen BX St Tropez, Citroen CX Prestige Trubo 2, A-H Frogeye, Porsche 944, Lancia Delta Integrale, Lancia Fulvia S1

LHM hardline replacement

Post by szhrr5cc »

We are being tested by our BX 16v....having fixed the following ,

- front drivers side suspension leak
- replaced the Y piece on top of the suspension beam which had disintegrated
- replaced the leaking coolant hose running from the back of the engine past the belts and pullies, it not being easy to find a spare
- hand brake inoperative on the drivers side, figured that out and fixed it thanks to info found on this forum

Since the brakes were spongy and the rear lifted when braking, bled the front brakes moved to the rear and, ping, got a hard line leak from the rear somehwere in the impenetrable depths above the left side. Pressure on the brake pedal provides a spray of LHM.

Our plan is to isolate the leak - we can see it - cut the line before and after the leak and fit a new length of hard line. We have done this on other cars
with conventional brakes.

One issue is to ensure we cut the correct line.......

As a back up we are also seeing if we can find a local garage to fix the issue as we have some time pressure.

Can anyone tell me the specification of the hard line used on a BX and the appropriate fittings please?

Has anyone done this before please? Any advice or comment would be most welcome
RobC
BXpert
My Cars: 1991 Citroen BX 16v

Re: LHM hardline replacement

Post by RobC »

The rear brake pipes on a BX are the ‘curly’ ones, if that helps. If the car is fitted with ABS I understand they are a slightly larger diameter than the standard suspension pipes.

Someone will be along to correct me in a minute if I’m wrong !
1991 Citroen BX 16v
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

There are 4 front to rear pipes 3 are 3.5mm and 1 is 4.5mm, it should be apparent which size has failed.
It is possible to source 3.5mm compression couplers of the sort you mention but most people are not happy using them for safety reasons. It is safest to replace the complete pipe without any joins.
Typically those pipes rust through on the bends above the rear sub frame. Best to check them all first to see if any other are on the way out as you only have to move them a bit for them to spring a leak where the rust has weakened them. Some people prefer to drop the subframe to improve access as they are v. fiddly to thread through and attach securely. Its not a job to be rushed.
There is a Citroen guy near you in Hereford, Ian Sparrow I think.
One of mine is showing signs, I bought a replacement pipe but have deferred doing it cos its such a tricky job to form it to lie neatly in the pipe clips.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
szhrr5cc
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen BX St Tropez, Citroen CX Prestige Trubo 2, A-H Frogeye, Porsche 944, Lancia Delta Integrale, Lancia Fulvia S1

Post by szhrr5cc »

Thanks, helpful information indeed.

This is my sons car and I am currently in Poland where he resides so that rules out Pete Sparrow whom I have met and purchased a few parts from him for this BX.

I hesitated very much about attempting to patch one of the hardlines, especially at this point on the car as they are so inaccessible but we thought of it
because we followed a similar-ish approach in replacing the y piece on top of the other side. The car is currentlyat a trusted mechanic to see if they can sort it.

Cheers