Bumper trim

Anything about BXs
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

What's the best way to bend the metal back into shape, is there a good technique for doing this, or is it a case of carefully going over it. The trim is quite distorted from being handled, scrubbed, etc.

The paint didn't stick very well and bubbled up, so I removed it and I'm now trying black insulation tape - how long should I expect this to last? I completely forgot about water-tightness when I got the stuff.

It would be a lot easier if someone has some replacement trim as this is quite tedious and although it's quite a simple job I'm retarded; and it's turning into a hassle that I don't really have the effort for.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

They should take paint OK....so long as you give 'em a decent coat of primer first! :wink:

I've never used insulating tape myself, mainly because I just know it will start curling up and peeling off after a little bit of weather!

As for getting them back into shape, just take your time, and be VERY gentle, working your way along from one end to t'other. I straightened mine out while sat in a deckchair in the sun, one Sunday afteroon!! :lol:
You could use something like a piece of wood, with smoothed edges, carefully placed along the inside of the strip, and very gently tap the wood with a light hammer, to try to flatten out kinks without adding dents from the edges of the wood, of course! A small, lightweight, "toffee" hammer is better than a big lump hammer! (Unlike most car repair hammering duties!)
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Thanks for that Dave I did think any sort of hammering would do more harm than good because of the undersides of the trim (I hope you know what I mean) :shock: so I'll have a go, hopefully I can get the car cleaned too. Right now it's going for the "scruffy, tatty" look :( it deserves better!