TZD Hurricane. Spares, repairs, parts whatever!

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

TZD Hurricane. Spares, repairs, parts whatever!

Post by Paul296 »

My lovely TZD Hurricane was written off last week and frankly I'm gutted. However, if anyone is interested in parts - the car runs and drives beautifully ( the rear of the car is worse for wear however - actually not 'wear' but the front of some arseholes Vauxhall Vectra!)

Excellent alloys and tyres. Immaculate interior (though not original - yes, that ebay hurricane with the wrong interior)

Anyone interested in anything at all - just let me know, and I'll try not to burst into tears!!

Cheers

Paul
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Bad luck mate - any pictures? How'd it happen then?

Steve

EDIT: and whereabouts are you?
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Sorry for your loss Paul - I'd be gutted too. However it's good that the parts may help others live on.

I'd be interested in the alloys, and foglights, if you have them (I don't remember the car, anyone care to jog my memory?)

Thanks
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
RxBX
Over 2k

Re: TZD Hurricane. Spares, repairs, parts whatever!

Post by RxBX »

Paul296 wrote:My lovely TZD Hurricane was written off last week and frankly I'm gutted. However, if anyone is interested in parts - the car runs and drives beautifully ( the rear of the car is worse for wear however - actually not 'wear' but the front of some arseholes Vauxhall Vectra!)

Excellent alloys and tyres. Immaculate interior (though not original - yes, that ebay hurricane with the wrong interior)

Anyone interested in anything at all - just let me know, and I'll try not to burst into tears!!

Cheers

Paul
Hi Paul, Sorry to hear the demise of your Hurricane that was a short lived bit of pleasure :(

I hope the 3 party insurers are going to give you a fair sum or better still let them find you an equal replacement
(But being a TZD Hurricane that will be a tall order) !

This seems to be a common occurrence these day's unfortunately, as the insurer don't care a $hite about us Citroen owners with older models,
they just think there just a piece of old junk and try and get away with offering approx, £50 more than scrap value for the slightest of knocks :evil:

This has happened to me very recently on my XM where the damage was £1800 and the cheeky bar$tewerds initially offered £400 and to keep the car they up it to £500 and eventually pressed them a bit more and got £650 but I'm still left with the problems of sourcing the panels which got damage.
The costs to get it mended for the labour and paint alone (For a Private cash job) will cost £600 which leaves only £50 left to try and pay for a wing and door !

Phil C, has had a couple non fault incidents within the last 14 months with his BX too and managed keep it on the road, but you have to put up a fight with the insurers IMO, never ever accept the first, second or even third offer, it always pays to be awkward towards them !

Anyhow back on topic, as already mentioned any photos of the damage so as to see how bad it is, being a Hurricane surely its worth repairing even if not by you, (Phil C, were you not after a TZD ) ?

Some previous links to Paul's, Hurricane as discussed on the BXC Forum:- Link #1, ---Link #2, --- Link #3

I hope it can be saved rather than being broke for spares.

Good luck with it !

:)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

To replace a TZD Turbo BX will cost you £900. Tell them that.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Is it mendable? any pics?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses and your kind condolences! :cry: Much appreciated. I really loved that car and had lots of bits and pieces in place to sort it properly over the summer. Shame.

As someone pointed out was probable, the insurers consider my car a piece of junk. They've offered me 270 quid, but I've been on to my insurance company today to see where I stand re: getting a bit more or a replacement. I suppose realistically its not worth that much more now, but its still quite a rare car that I can't replace like for like.

I'll try and post a couple of pics in the next day or two. If it had just been the rear bumper and tailgate I'd have felt a bit more hopeful but on the offside the whole thing is bent.

If there's anything you're interested in ( the alloys are pretty well immaculate) PM me and I'll send you my mobile number. Though I'd like to post some pics to hear if anyone thinks it can be rescued - sadly, I think not. Thanks again.

Paul
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Hold out for more, i'd ask them to replace it, oh dear cos its rare then they can't, so you'll need a grand to ensure the replacement is of similar quality :wink:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Rx wrote: This seems to be a common occurrence these day's unfortunately, as the insurer don't care a $hite about us Citroën owners with older models,
they just think there just a piece of old junk and try and get away with offering approx, £50 more than scrap value for the slightest of knocks :evil:

This has happened to me very recently on my XM where the damage was £1800 and the cheeky bar$tewerds initially offered £400 and to keep the car they up it to £500 and eventually pressed them a bit more and got £650 but I'm still left with the problems of sourcing the panels which got damage.
The costs to get it mended for the labour and paint alone (For a Private cash job) will cost £600 which leaves only £50 left to try and pay for a wing and door !
Richard if you insure your car forn an agreed value they won't just offer you £50 more than scrap value, you can't seriously expect your insurance company to pay out £1800 to repair a car worth £500-£600?
If you want to get a better pay out you must insure your car accordingly and pay the higher premiums this would bring. You can't moan about low payouts and expect low premiums as well. Unfortunately the current market value of BX's and XM's isn't much more than scrap value hence not getting offered much more. Look at Ray; he had take one to the scrap yard because he couldn't sell it so the market value was scrap value. The plus side to low values is you can buy as many as you want for little money!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

Defender110 wrote: Richard if you insure your car forn an agreed value they won't just offer you £50 more than scrap value, you can't seriously expect your insurance company to pay out £1800 to repair a car worth £500-£600?
If you want to get a better pay out you must insure your car accordingly and pay the higher premiums this would bring. You can't moan about low payouts and expect low premiums as well. Unfortunately the current market value of BX's and XM's isn't much more than scrap value hence not getting offered much more. Look at Ray; he had take one to the scrap yard because he couldn't sell it so the market value was scrap value. The plus side to low values is you can buy as many as you want for little money!
actually, as third party, you should be placed into the position you were before the accident, regardless of cost, if needs be!

Also, there's a big difference between a road legal car with good struts and one undrivable due to the strut exiting through the bonnet. There's also a big difference between a 2 litre petrol turbo and a 2.1 diesel turbo.

Not wanting to be blunt, location is also a factor - a car in Hull is almost like one in Scotland, too far away for most of us to consider collecting on a trailer just for scrapping for bits. If there had a been a free XM within 100 miles of home and it was drivable, it would be in work's car park now!
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Paul296
Over 2k
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

Is it the law that as third party you should be placed in the position you were before the accident? I wasn't under any illusions about how the insurance company were going to see the car,and know that in general terms old BX's are seen as scrap by most.

So although I don't want to take the mick, on the other hand I'm now without a car that can't be replaced, I'm being offered half what I paid for it plus loads of stress and bother - for an accident caused by someone elses carelessness. The car was insured for £800 on my policy - should that make any difference?. Do people think I have a good case to hold out for more? I don't want to be unreasonable but would really like a fair deal considering the above.

Cheers

Paul
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Might be worth getting some evidence together of bx turbo diesel prices in the last year or so to give the insurance company the evidence that you need to make sure you are put into the position that you should be. I'd also contact the CCC & ask them if they'd be prepared to issue you with a letter of sorts with a value of a hurricane if they were to recommend an insurance value.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Paul

I write the BX column for the CCC Magazine, aswell as being a director so maybe I carry some "clout", feel free to contact me and I am happy to send the relevant parties my comments on the matter. I could also get the chairman involved too who normally does valuations for Insurance purposes.

Just ask them to find you another tidy TZD Hurricane instead of the cash.....
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Well done Tim

Paul I think your insurance company have an obligation to look at any evidence you can supply as to the value of your car, and a valuation from a relevant club is one such piece of evidence + like Mulley has said any adverts you can find. Troll through the 'For Sale' and 'Spotted' sections on here and print off any you find.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

You must stand your ground, they will squirm but it is your right to have the car returned to pre-accident state or to have a replacement car that matches it. There is a nice TZD Turbo I believe either available or imminently so, which is £900. If you can demonstrate that a good BX of similar spec and condition will these days approach that, you have a reasonable case for asking for an £800 valuation. That's what my 220k mile GTi auto was valued at by the assessor earlier this year. I got the car back in exchange for the weigh in value determined at £120 and the balance as a cheque.

It will allow me to complete getting the car sorted. Which is what I want now. Although in your case it's a case of finding a relpacement I think.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v