Scoop! Lost tribe of Citroens living in Lincolnshire woods.

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

mds141 wrote:Back onto XM's briefly. I've had the 2.1 td VSX for a few months now and touch wood, had no problems. Mind you it does have a service history print off totalling 13 grand. :lol:
All the XM owners I've spoken too - and it's quite alot, have said the same thing (not necessarily the service history bit!) solid, reliable car that got a bit of a bad reputation in the early days. It's a bit superflous saying it's a 'better' car than the BX, because you're not comparing like with like. If by 'better' you mean; roomier, more complex, luxurious and refined well, it is a large executive luxo-barge, while the BX is a mid-range family saloon. If it wasn't 'better' in that respect someone at Citroen wanted their arses kicking!

I know blown, diesel head gaskets can be a bit of a body blow if you get unlucky, but apart from that I'd have one without a 'by your leave' if I had some dosh - which I haven't - so I can't. :(
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

That Visa's been there since 1987 (when it was 5 years old! :shock: )
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Roverman wrote:
mds141 wrote:Back onto XM's briefly. I've had the 2.1 td VSX for a few months now and touch wood, had no problems. Mind you it does have a service history print off totalling 13 grand. :lol:
You forget to mention that youve not driven it either! :wink:
True. Only done a thousand miles or so since I got it. Felt guilty, so took it for a run out tonight, just up to Gretna and back. 140 miles or so, average speed 67 mph, average mpg 51.6. Not too bad for an old barge. No Citroens of significance to report, but I was overflown by two Tornado GR4's by Tebay, obviously getting some night time flying practice in, before being assigned to theatre. And as I was about to exit the M6 at Gretna, a white Rolls Royce Phantom overtook me, closely followed by a black Disco 3. Simon Cowell must be putting in an appearance somewhere. :lol:
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Has anyone forwarded these pics to Practical Classics for their Rust in Peace feature?
Mark Smith

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.

mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

What state is that caravan in, I wonder(apart from a nice covering of algae). Would be a nice base for the ICCCR.
Mark Smith

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

mds141 wrote:Has anyone forwarded these pics to Practical Classics for their Rust in Peace feature?
Not yet..... :wink:
jacksun1987
BXpert

Post by jacksun1987 »

when s everyone going
PAUL JACKSON
1991 h reg 1.7tzd hatch in black 159.000 miles had
1992 k reg 1.7 txd hatch in red 179. 000 miles had
Renaul laguna exspessin 02 plate 1.8 16v 75 k had
cosa 1.2 brezze 150 k had
406 glx 1.9 td 170k s reg white got
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

jacksun1987 wrote:when s everyone going
Where?
Mark Smith

mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

jacksun1987 wrote:when s everyone going
Where?
Mark Smith

BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

I contacted Syd after Tim and Paul posted the threads about the cars, and I asked Syd if it would be OK to visit if I were to be in the Lincoln area, as my son is at the University.

My son is going paintballing tomorrow (17 March) and he needed his paintball gun (Tippmann A5 with flatline barrel) which I had here. It needed some new O rings, so I ordered them and took it all up to Lincoln this morning. I called Syd yesterday evening and arranged to go to see him at mid-day. My son came with me but he hadn't seen the pics (I just told him that there was a man with a load of Citroens in a village a few miles out of Lincoln).

We got there at mid-day and Syd opened the door and said we could take a look at the cars and he would join us shortly. I took my son to see the tribe and he was lost for words. When Syd joined us we walked around with him and chatted. He said that SWMBO and his son will not let him near the internet, so I pulled out my mobile phone and showed him the pictures in this thread. He was quite interested in the pictures.

I had previously mentioned on the phone that I might want a couple of parts from the 1.6 Athena, but he seemed a bit reticent over the phone. When we went to the Athena I asked if it was OK to lift the bonnet and he said go ahead. When I asked if it would be possible to buy any of the parts he was again reticent, so I did not push it. As Tim mentioned here Syd has 3 BX's amongst the tribe
- the D-reg Ivory 19 RD is MOT'ed and covered and is for sale
- the E-reg Blue 19 RD has enough guano for Dr No, and he has already removed the radiator as an "order" for someone but found it so badly perished that it now stands at the side of the car
- the H-reg 1.6 Athena is not MOT'ed and has a 2008 tax disc

I'm not sure what his plans are for the E-reg RD, I think he realises that the only way it will leave the woods is in parts.

He is under the impression that the Athena can easily be made running. The engine looks OK, though some of the "rubber" fuel lines and LHM returns would not get far, and he said that it had a leak from the rear pipes "that is easily fixed" (the rear is up on ramps and I looked underneath and the back exhaust box has been removed). The rear window on the drivers side was smashed some time ago by kids, and the weather is starting to take its toll on the interior. So this car would need a trailer to be taken away, and I said I doubted if anyone will come with a trailer for a 1.6 Athena with those issues. He seemed to accept that, but said that someone might have the engine complete. However it's done 90K miles and again I said that no-one will come for a 90K 1.6 engine.

I kept being drawn to the Ami 8. One Ami I had was HTV 854 N, the one in the woods is HTV 863 N, it seemed to be pleading with me for help. But it is like the Titanic, so badly gone that it is completely unsalvageable. Even if it were an Ami 6 saloon it would not be worth taking away. The near side roof edge (not visible in Paul's pics) is so badly gone that the B-pillar has pulled away at the top, and the whole side has sagged. The floor has also collapsed inside, so I would guess that in another few years the whole car will just collapse in the middle.

He did say that someone "who has 5 XM's" had been to take some parts from one of the XM's (it seems as if at least one XM as well as one CX are now parts cars), and I think that he wants to sell a few cars as runners or near-runners, and ones in condition like the Ami 8 he just wants scrap weight for them. But otherwise I got the impression that he may consider selling parts "to order".

My son and I were there for over an hour chatting to him. As we were leaving, he asked my son what he is studying, and my son said Psychology. Syd was speechless (he may have confused Psychology with Psychiatry).

Anyway, we got back to Lincoln and spent the next few hours stripping down my son's Tippmann A5 and reassembling several times until we realised that two main springs were mixed up: those Lincoln Imps must live in the woods. My son said that Syd should organise paintball sessions in the woods, but I wouldn't want to hide behind that Ami 8 ....now there's an idea for the next Top Gear series.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Syd seems a lovely chap, but its obvious he is a hoarder and doesnt like to part with anything(theres quite a few citroenish guilty of that!!), and would be quite happy to keep everything for ever and a day, shame really as the longer they stay there the less likely anything is salvageable.

His wife and son have been on at him for years to have a clear out but I think its a case of "I will ge round to it one day", hes 83 now though.....
jacksun1987
BXpert

Post by jacksun1987 »

Im working today what about tomoorow or another weeken be fun it will.What about doing it the same weekend that x meetings on. Because everyone will be in lincolnshire for the meeting. OR set a date for a gathering. some cups of t and coffie mabye beer lol
PAUL JACKSON
1991 h reg 1.7tzd hatch in black 159.000 miles had
1992 k reg 1.7 txd hatch in red 179. 000 miles had
Renaul laguna exspessin 02 plate 1.8 16v 75 k had
cosa 1.2 brezze 150 k had
406 glx 1.9 td 170k s reg white got
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

I'm not sure Syd would appreciate hoards of citroen fans descending on the place Paul.

so the search for a round thingy continues :(
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

jacksun1987 wrote:Im working today what about tomoorow or another weeken be fun it will.What about doing it the same weekend that x meetings on. Because everyone will be in lincolnshire for the meeting. OR set a date for a gathering. some cups of t and coffie mabye beer lol
Its his house Jacksun and as such private property so I think a load of us turning up with a few cans of beer isnt a great idea and will probably do more harm than good.