BX excess, can it be a success?

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Re: BX excess, can it be a success?

Post by Thread Bear »

I wonder if showing my BX the film clip below might persuade them to be more cooperative.

http://devour.com/video/car-grinder/
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Finally got round to replacing the struts on Gary. Serviced both units and put on good return y tubes. The correct clip is a bit tricky without the correct tool, but my rather bent snipe nose pliers, used on the Heinkel, came in, as long as I had some tension on the rubber. Yet to find out if that will work on a mounted strut, so maybe some partial or complete removal might be needed for my solution. Is this job easy? Well for a suspension strut, yes. No doubt familiarity will find a swift exit from under the wing. I did not. Getting the units loose was not as simple as I had hoped. I notice the comment that they should be mounted with a little grease, maybe these weren't.

The dead unit is clearly marked with a sticker as a serviced replacement. Not a very good one possibly, as this was the one that leaked at a particular height setting. That suggests a seal that is still working but a shaft that is naff. If so a quality control issue. Anyway the situation was getting worse, so I guess that unit is marked junk.
The other strut has crud all over it and the y tube has gone. Having a spare pair ready it seemed sense to change both. The removed one can be cleaned up and put aside as a good spare.

While I was in there I found I had gone most of the way through the disc pads. Bit of a surprise, but simple enough to change. I had a set in stock, as well. MOT inspectors like seeing new bits on cars presented, so job done.

Test the beast and for a change no leaks. I wonder how long that will last? So ready to MOT.

Picked up a brand new tow bar for an estate for £20. So with an MOT done that can go on, and Gary can go back into service after his clutch is done.

Meanwhile I have decided to see if Miguel the 1.6 Auto, £450 ono, and Homer the 1.9 diesel estate, £250, will attract new owners. I need neither and have loads of other work to do. More interested in getting Pluto the 1.4 going, so I can have a drive and see what that specification is like.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Yeah, that was a success :roll:. New LHM leak on the bottom of the octopus. Some undefined leak on the new off side strut. So looks like a poorly seated boot on the y pipe, or another duff strut. I begin to feel like I am hitting my head on a brick wall here ](*,) . Either that or there is simply to much fluid pressure or going to return. Not really sure how you can measure that. Rain stopped play.
I begin to winder if it might not be simpler to get the Borg going, no MOT, tax etc. Troubled is the professional restorers botched the brake rebuild badly, so it needs completely re doing with a backplate that is not banana shaped!

Playing with a Trojan 3 door much of the day. Great fun and all folks given rides enjoyed it. Mates car but we shared duties to preserve sanity. Collected £63 for charity :D . Trojan 1, Citroen Nil :cry: .

Drive it day tomorrow, nothing to drive it with, save my 27 year old Trooper. Not really where I hoped to be :? .

Have a good X Rally guys :P .