Mulley's Valver

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Thread Bear
1K Away

Re: Mulley's Valver

Post by Thread Bear »

Commercial Council Tax is just a rip off. It is counter productive ultimately as it prevents investment, expansion and innovation, which is how business grows. I wonder that small business does not form a group and demand fair treatment, or just point blank withdraw their payments on mass. The Government would quickly be crippled by the fallout and if it chooses violence to resolve the issue it is effectively telling small business to abscond.
Too many spot bots in offices feeding off other peoples efforts. Chuck some of them out instead, with their unwanted clipboards, then small business will gain a half day's productivity into the bargain! There is tax on time too, you know.
Miguel - 16 TRS Auto S, light blue, 43k miles - £450
Pluto - 14 E S, White, 105k Miles - in work
Egbert - 19 16v Gti, White, A/C & Leather, - Keeper
Walt - 17 TZD Turbo S, graphite, 70k miles, good op extras - Keeper
Scraper- 17 TZD Turbo E, blue, 208k miles - parts
Homer - 19 TXD E, Red, 189k miles - £250
Gary - 17 TZD Turbo E, 118k miles - in work

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Maybe they should look at the amount of tax the huge multi nationals pay, then charge the same percentage to the smaller businesses - level playing field on the high street while at the same time encouraging the government to get big businesses to actually pay their dues.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Thread Bear wrote:Commercial Council Tax is just a rip off. It is counter productive ultimately as it prevents investment, expansion and innovation, which is how business grows. I wonder that small business does not form a group and demand fair treatment, or just point blank withdraw their payments on mass. The Government would quickly be crippled by the fallout and if it chooses violence to resolve the issue it is effectively telling small business to abscond.
Too many spot bots in offices feeding off other peoples efforts. Chuck some of them out instead, with their unwanted clipboards, then small business will gain a half day's productivity into the bargain! There is tax on time too, you know.
It's definitely a rip-off for us, because we're on a private estate. We don't get bins, the street lamps aren't paid for by the council.....it's shit.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

On the flip side, the estate is owned by people who have contacts with the Navy training HQ next door. The Marines tend to job round here and patrol occasionally. On one occasion they found a dodgy character trying to break in somewhere. He still got taken to the police station as usual (and probably got off scott-free with them), but on the way he fell over and broke his arm and jaw. Unlucky!

Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

There was a similar incident when the SAS were doing Anti-Terrorist operations/training in City centre Manchester one Saturday night;
There was a plain white van with 4 fully kitted S.A.S Troopers in the back parked in a street in Manchester with roof top surveillance snipers above them in radio communication. Those in the van were warned by the roof top guys that there was a pair of rogues heading down the street towards their position trying car doors; the van remained silent as the 2 tried the front door handles then passed to the next car in the street, unfortunately they then had the bright idea to then go and try the back door of the van.
The following day the Police could only confirm that nobody had come forward to make any complaints of assault. ;-)
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

Veterama, Mannhiem (Think Beaulieu Autojumble, only bigger, with beer). Shout goes up. Some guy passes us at speed with stuff in his hand, presumably nicked. Two large Hells Angel types, the unofficial on site security, step in his way. He disappears into a tented stand lengthways. The police come within minutes as they are on site outside to control the traffic etc. Guy reappears appears dazzed and much blooded. I got a translation of the discussion which included something along the lines of
'Stupid Pole fell over running away with these items, we were looking after him as he might have broken his leg'.
The Police did not make an inquiry and dragged him off squeaking while calling an ambulance up.

For you, the autojumble is over.

Very little theft at Manhiem when I used to go.

'87 Trooper, Borgwards, Saabs, MG ZB, Bellamy Trials, Fiat Jolly & Bianchina, Goggo Dart, Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Bubblecars
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Saturday the 21st March was finally the day i've seen my car for the very 1st time. And i got the chance to give it a spin up the road which goes up to the waterworks near Barry's :) It was good fun giving it the beans in 1st, 2nd & 3rd gear when it went in eventually. The car felt really tight, so that is good news. Barry gave me the lo-down on what needs doing, not very much which is great news, bodywork is a bit bashed, but again perfectly livable, its got patina ;) It's got an MOT & only had 3 advisories (2 tyres) & one is an oil leak. Great news for a car which has been off the road since 2008 & has supposedly got over 202k on the clock?? I don't think its done that sort of mileage, would the DVLA know the correct mileage? Fingers crossed i can get the car to the X-Rally. Tim, it was Footman James you suggested to me in order to insure both my BX's?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Thread Bear
1K Away

Post by Thread Bear »

They used to keep all the MOTs. I think you can buy the records as a copy. So that should show the mileage till the last MOT.

Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

MULLEY wrote: finally . . . i've seen my car for the very 1st time.
nice one Matthew! 8) Good to see you again too . :)

^^bx>
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Yes Mate, I recommend footman james, good to see you Matt, and your valver being driven in anger!
Last edited by Tim Leech on Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
bxzx16v
BXpert

Post by bxzx16v »

What a result on the valver Matthew, I hope to get to the Xrally myself, not sure if it will be the berlingo or dare I bring the 406 coupe [-X.

Mark
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Good stuff! I think there's a good car under there somewhere. And personally speaking, I don't think that car's done anything like 202k miles. I reckon 90k - 120k somewhere, personally.

MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Kitch, you've got to take most of the credit for saving this car, without your advice & help on the silver beast, she'd be in bits a long time ago.

Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

MULLEY wrote:Kitch, you've got to take most of the credit for saving this car, without your advice & help on the silver beast, she'd be in bits a long time ago.
Makes up for two I gave up on :lol:

MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Today when visiting Barry's, i fitted a couple of brand new headlights & osram nightbreakers, annoyingly though only one of the old headlights had the sidelight bulb, the other didn't, but i've got some uprated bulbs i want to fit anyway. The driver side front indicator is a fake & doesn't match the other side, luckily for me i had a genuine valeo one to fit. However, the bulb holder wouldn't fit the new indicator, aaargh!! So i had to put the fake one back on, i'll need to check my spares to see if i've got a genuine one which will then fit correctly.

I bought 2 sets of brand new rear lights with me, the smoked variety & the clear one's which fitted MK1's & early Mk2's, Barry thought the smoked one's looked better & so i fitted them, it makes the car look a bit more sporty. The old one's were the green tint, but but were damaged which is a shame. The old headlights were really aged as the internal chrome was missing & very dull, so the front & rear has brightened up.

I was going to fit some front speakers into the doors, but i didn't have any screws, stupid me thinking the screws would be already in the car, but alas no :(

Barry showed me how to take the headrests to bits, so now i will have a proper sized rear headrests to fit (didn't have time to do the conversion, so did it tonight at home, just got to do a bit of finishing off as i needed to cut down some plastic to make them fit). I also dropped off the replacement rear bootlid to replace the knackered one currently on the valver.

I was going to take across 2 doors to replace the driver side front & psgr side rear, but when i inspected them on Friday, i didn't think they were all that great tbh, so i think i may just get the original doors repaired etc... Shame the car is a bit cosmetically challenged, but mechanically its going to drive sweet :) I can't wait now, cheers to Barry & Paul for their work today on the C5 & for the ongoing jobs on the valver :) Just need to get that aircon working ;)