Ignition timing adjustment

BX Tech talk
Kandata
My Cars: CITROEN BX

Ignition timing adjustment

Post by Kandata »

I got CITROEN BX 1.6 of 1987 model with 171 engine and automatic transmission last month. Knocking noise occurs when accelerating. I think one of the causes is misadjustment of advancing angle of ignition. I tried to check the advancing angle. But I could not find the TDC marking at camshaft pulley. Please let me know where the TDC marking for ignition timing adjustment locates.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Re: Ignition timing adjustment

Post by Jaba »

The mark I use is on the flywheel. Access to it is through a viewing window in the gearbox housing located near the starter motor position. Painting a white mark on the flywheel at TDC or the required number of degrees before TDC will enable using a strobe light to adjust the distributor timing.
As with many things BX access is not the best. You could try retarding the ignition a bit to see if that makes a difference to the noise as it may not be timing related.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Kandata
My Cars: CITROEN BX

Re: Ignition timing adjustment

Post by Kandata »

Thanks, Jaba! I found the timing plate by removing the air cleaner box. Using strobe light, I could read the advancing angle befor TDC. Unfortunately, the idling speed was 1100rpm. It was much faster than 850 rpm which was the idling speed for setting the advancing angle. So the angle indicated earlier than 10 deg BTDC. I have to lean how to adjust the idling speed in the carburettor, Weber 32-34 DRTC 4 100W 130-50.