Rear suspension y piece and return lines

BX Tech talk
szhrr5cc
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen BX St Tropez, Citroen CX Prestige Trubo 2, A-H Frogeye, Porsche 944, Lancia Delta Integrale, Lancia Fulvia S1

Rear suspension y piece and return lines

Post by szhrr5cc »

Does anyone have a definitive diagram, pictures perhaps, of the LHM pipes on the rear suspension of a BX please? The Y piece on the right hand side (fuel filler side) looking from the back has disintegrated, we have the pieces, so we have a nice flow onto the floor.

We are hoping to reroute and reconnect the relevant pipes to a new y piece and locate it in a more accesible place but we need to be sure we have the correct lines. This is an almost ompossible place to reach and it appears that some of the lines run through some metal grips that hold them in place.

I understand that the y piece connects the return lines from each sphere to a return line to the front.

Thanks p.s. the car is a gti 16v and It is assumed the pipe layout is common to all variants?
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Re: Rear suspension y piece and return lines

Post by panky »

I found these pictures hopefully they will show what you need. Sorry it's the best I can do.

Image Image Image
szhrr5cc
Confirmed BX'er
My Cars: Citroen BX St Tropez, Citroen CX Prestige Trubo 2, A-H Frogeye, Porsche 944, Lancia Delta Integrale, Lancia Fulvia S1

Post by szhrr5cc »

Thanks, thats very helpful. In the first photo the piece that has failed on our car is clearly shown. We have suceeded in replacing the y piece with a temporary lash up that is now below the beam on which it resides in your picture. Running the car seems to have proven all is well with no leaks.

The next step is to replace the lash up with something more permanent (we used a three way valve from a fish tank and some fuel hose).
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Post by panky »

Glad they are of help. I have to say that they are not mine but some I found interesting and saved for future reference so credit to the original owner of the photos.
Image Image Image
xantia_v6
BXpert
My Cars: Peugeot 308 CC
Citroen XM V6 ES9
Citroen Xantia V6
Jaguar XJ-S V12

Post by xantia_v6 »

Note that the Y joints are colour-coded, with the colour denoting the size of the pipes that fit. Some colours are easier to find than others.
szhrr5cc
Confirmed BX'er

Post by szhrr5cc »

Interesting, Ive seen green ones and the one that disintegrated appeared to be black. We found that the fuel hose we used is of too small a diameter so will be using 3mm diameter for the permanent fix and have some white y pieces that should be able to fit.