Leaking LHM from reservoir area

BX Tech talk
AGreenBX
My Cars: 93 BX 1.9 Diesel

Leaking LHM from reservoir area

Post by AGreenBX »

Good morning folks, New here and seeing if anyone can give me any pointers as have a leak from a LHM reservoir pipe. It's this pipe which has 3 separate pipes feeding off it. Wanting to know if I can use a plastic pipe joiner and t pieces etc to make this right and if so diameters of pipes? Also unsure how to remove the clamp onto main reservoir, looks like tiniest spanner would fit but all mine are too big. Any pointers would be really helpful.
Attachments
20230913_112034~2.jpg
David
BXpert

Re: Leaking LHM from reservoir area

Post by David »

That’s part of the octopus pipes. That looks original so you’ll probably have to replace all of it very soon. That particular pipe connects to both height correctors, the pressure regulator and steering rack returns, so there will be a lot of oil passing through it.

Yes, you can repair it with plastic joiners & t pieces, but as I’ve said above, if the pipes are original, it probably won’t last long. If you’re mechanically minded, then you can make your own returns, that’s what I’ve done. I can’t remember what sizes they are of the top of my head.

As for the clamp, it’s an original Citroen clamp, & they’re a bit tricky to remove. Essentially, you just need to unwind it with pliers. Be careful that you don’t snap the unions off the LHM tank or you’ll have another headache to deal with.

Hope that helps.
1992 Citroën BX 1.9 Diesel Meteor 4x4 - The Project.

1992 Citroën BX 1.9 TXD (with GTI engine; Mulleys old car) - Parts car.

2004 Citroën Xsara Desire. (Now gone).

2016 Ford Focus Zetec - Daily Driver. (Absolute bone shaker).
AGreenBX
My Cars: 93 BX 1.9 Diesel

Re: Leaking LHM from reservoir area

Post by AGreenBX »

Thanks for the advice David. I've managed to identify three areas which are leaking. The NSR brake pipe, a small plastic rubber tube that goes into the top of what looks like a distribution unit and the reservoir area shown so not too bad for a 30 year old car. The brake pipe is available and I believe I can have a go at making the other pipes to get the system oil tight. Once that's sorted I can improve a few other bits. Proper project this one but I'm hoping worth it.

Attachments
20230915_112837.jpg
20230914_122758.jpg
20230914_122511.jpg
Last edited by AGreenBX on Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.