Jugostran's CIMOS-related shenanigans

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Jugostran
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 Cimos-Citroën BX 16 TRS
2007 BMW 318D (the "company car")

Jugostran's CIMOS-related shenanigans

Post by Jugostran »

How's everyone doing?
I have decided to start a thread where I'll aim to post updates on my BX(s). Partially because I'd like to share the shenanigans with all of you, and partially so I have a record of everything that has and will happen to my 1989 BX 16 TRS (and any other BXs I may end up owning). Either way, I don't have much to update you all on now, but come this weekend I'll be redoing the bumper trim with electrical tape (you'll want to stick around for that). On the topic of bumpers, I'll also be testing this ceramic-infused plastic restoration liquid I bought recently. BX plastics can be...well...iffy, so it'll be nice to have results using multiple products (I already tested with Turtlewax "Back to Black", and that turned out fine but got washed away fairly quick). Another thing on the to-do list is a complete pre-winter waxing, as well as finally putting on winter wheels and tires.
Anyway, I can't wait to get started on the above plans.
See you all come this weekend!
Proudly daily driving a 1989 BX 16 TRS since 2021

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: Jugostran's CIMOS-related shenanigans

Post by Tim Leech »

Welcome!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Post by panky »

Ha Ha I did the electrical tape 'repair' on my GTi. The black plastic had started cracking up and separating from the metal backing - the car was only about five years old at the time. I popped the trim out and ran black tape along it tucking it behind as I went along - it lasted until I sold the car four years later :D
Image Image Image
Jugostran
BXpert

Post by Jugostran »

panky wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:27 pm Ha Ha I did the electrical tape 'repair' on my GTi. The black plastic had started cracking up and separating from the metal backing - the car was only about five years old at the time. I popped the trim out and ran black tape along it tucking it behind as I went along - it lasted until I sold the car four years later :D
An absolute classic repair hah.

Jugostran
BXpert

Post by Jugostran »

Happy Saturday everyone!
Today I'm sharing the aforementioned trim repair. I didn't get around to cleaning it yet, but the trim has been restored!
In my humble opinion it turned out quite good for what it is (that being some electrical tape and some careful usage of scissors and a sanding sponge).

In other news, I went to get winter tires installed as well. It was about time.

Balanced and ready to go!

Last edited by Jugostran on Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

panky
BXpert
My Cars: 1985 BX 19 GT (DKK), 1971 Morris Minor Traveller, 1971 Commer Auto-Sleeper, 1969 Commer Jennings Roadranger.
'88 BX GTi (a long time ago)

Post by panky »

It'll last forever :D
Image Image Image
Jugostran
BXpert

Post by Jugostran »

panky wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:41 pm It'll last forever :D
Hopefully so!
This time I did it properly. I cleaned off the old adhesive, sanded the metal and tucked the tape in well when adhering. It should stick down well.
If it falls off again, I'll have to think of a better fix hah.

Jugostran
BXpert

Post by Jugostran »

So I haven't updated this blog much, partially due to the fact that I was quite busy. The BX is still with me, but in hibernation. I had to do it unfortunately. It all started when the priority valve decided to give up. This caused a chain reaction that is probably way funnier than it should be. Since it was dumping .5 to 1l of LHM Plus per week, and I always had to top it up, the system essentially got completely flushed. The LHM in the reservoir is a perfect shade of green, just like it came from the bottle. Unfortunately, this had a negative side effect. Now that the system is running on same quality fluid as it did from factory, all the slightly dodgy rubber bits in the system started leaking. I noticed it was getting progressively worse up until now, where the car can only be driven if you first top up the reservoir with a liter or more of LHM. Now it is time to take it slow and go through all the rubber bits and replace them. My goal, at the end of this, is to have the most reliable BX of all time. All the rubbers will be replaced. I will also take the head off and get the gasket replaced (it is good, but its leaking a bit outside of the engine). I'll also do the manifold gaskets and all the belts. The only thing I'm on the fence about is the hydraulic pump. It honestly doesn't sound that bad and I think I'll leave it for now. It'll get a new belt and that's it.
Otherwise, I should be getting my GT wheel trims in soon. They are the original trims for this car (believe it or not), so I really can't wait. The problem is that the outer ring of the trims has broken off on most of them. I still have the rings, but I'll have to find a new and improved way of affixing them to the car. My plan was to just use epoxy and permanently affix the fixing ring to the trim. It should still come off just fine with a firm tug. The original clips are a complete buzzkill. I have seen several nice condition GTs where the trim liberated itself from the fixing ring, and I aim to avoid that.

Last edited by Jugostran on Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jugostran
BXpert

Post by Jugostran »

Hey all!
Still no significant updates. I am working towards getting a massive grocery list of parts sorted for the BX. This includes new parts, parts that I need to refurbish and kind donations from other, less fortunate BXs.
In the meantime the BX has been cocooned.

(the BX in its cocooned form)
Last edited by Jugostran on Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jugostran
BXpert

Post by Jugostran »

Another day, another update.
This just arrived in the mail. That's right, a set of GT wheel trims. These were fitted to 19 TRSs, but I've also heard of 16 TRSs being fitted with them. Namely in some markets (like Yugoslavia), the 19 TRS wasn't offered, so the highest trim level for a non-sporty BX was the 16 TRS. Thus some of the features from the 19 TRS were carried over (like the wheel trims). So yes, these trims are correct for my BX :P
Anyway, they unfortunately did get a bit damaged during shipping. Nothing serious thankfully. What is the best glue to use for this sort of thing? I just want it to be strong and not look like it was glued together using some random glue I had around the house. Many thanks!

(you can see the broken bit on one of the trims - it fits together perfectly with no gaps, I'd ideally like it to remain that way when glued)

saintjamesy89
Over 2k
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Shame about the broken bits, but hopefully they can be repaired? Good job finding them though - they are rare whichever country you're in!

The TRS looks really cute all wrapped up too :D
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Jugostran
BXpert

Post by Jugostran »

saintjamesy89 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:22 am Shame about the broken bits, but hopefully they can be repaired? Good job finding them though - they are rare whichever country you're in!

The TRS looks really cute all wrapped up too :D
Hah, yeah it's a shame. They can be glued together though, I'll be doing that as soon as I get the correct glue. I'm really happy that I found them though. They had to be imported from the Netherlands as well. They are really nice quality and are, in my opinion, one of the nicest wheel trims for the BX (barring the classic spotted ones (on Mk1s) and the rare GTi ones), at least in my opinion.
And yes, it does look quite cute :D

Jugostran
BXpert

Post by Jugostran »

Update!
New wheel trims have been installed. Yugoslavian BX TRSs came with these wheel trims regardless of engines. In fact, I'm unsure whether the 1.9 was even offered here.
Anyway, here's how it looks!
Unfortunately, the carburettor seems to have fully cooked itself. It's drawing way too much air, causing stalls when throttle is applied.

Last edited by Jugostran on Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave_16v
BXpert
My Cars: BX 16 Valve Ph 2 Current
BX 16 valve Ph 1 past
BX Gti past
BX Gti Auto past
ZX Volcane keeping others going

Post by Dave_16v »

They suit it well. 👍
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!

saintjamesy89
Over 2k
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Wheel trims look ace!

Shame about the carb, that is kind of what mine was doing before I got a new one - turned out to be a worn throttle flap bush/spindle. Apparently the only way to fix is to replace the spindle and bushes (parts no longer exist of course), or... a new carb. Fingers crossed that isn't your problem :shock:
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid