Wipers

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

I could only afford the one pair when I went so bought drivers side 24" :lol: :oops:

It's a vast improvement! :) but the arms must be twisted or something, the left wiper skips and groans on the upward stroke while the new one skips and groans on the downward stroke :roll:
98 Xant 1.9TD fuelled on veg
93 Granny SORN
90 VFR750 Breaking
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

Post by admiral51 »

hi Mike
if you have time pop up my local scrappy (you know the one a river in nottinghamshire!!) they have a xantia up there with wiper arms probably cost a £1 cant hurt can it :) :)

colin
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

Hi Colin, good point! Thanks. See if you can develop a knack of getting them off without breaking the wafer-thin by-now-very-brittle scuttle. I tried removing mine but they were so stuck fast I couldn't get any leverage without risking breakage. :(
93 Granny SORN
90 VFR750 Breaking
Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

MikeT wrote:It's a vast improvement! :) but the arms must be twisted or something, the left wiper skips and groans on the upward stroke while the new one skips and groans on the downward stroke :roll:
The really important thing with wipers is to ensure that the blade is at 90 degrees to the screen ensuring that the blade can flop equally between each stroke of movement. Therefore should the blade shudder or smear in one particular direction grab hold of the whole arm and bend it appropriately, that normally sorts it out.
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

Been there, tried that. I think I got "memory metal" arms on mine :?
93 Granny SORN
90 VFR750 Breaking
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

Post by admiral51 »

i have always been lucky with wiper arms always gave way eventually with pulling and pushing but would not something like a balljoint seperating tool not work or maybe a G clamp if it enough of a split at one end???

colin
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

To see if your wiper arms are bent, stop the wipers half-way through their sweep (turn the ignition off) and then remove the wipers. Place the wiper arm back on the screen. Is the flat metal of the arm parallel to the glass? If not, get an adjustable spanner, set it to about 2mm (the thickness of the wiper arm) and use it to twist the arm straight.

Never failed yet.
this might be a signature
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

It's always been the method I use and it never failed me before now :?

I put a pair of stilsons on the arms and twisted with considerable force until I heard creaking and cracking. I daren't go beyond that point for fear of breakage and although it improved the angle, they still sit wrong. :(
93 Granny SORN
90 VFR750 Breaking
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

The arms are made of mild steel. You can wind them into a spiral before they break. What you're hearing is probably the holding spring objecting to some very odd angles while it's being reset.
this might be a signature