The QMG Citroën Classic Challenge 2012

Here members post meetings, events, meet ups and the like
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

The QMG Citroën Classic Challenge 2012

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I have decided that in the interests of clarity, to stop posting on the previous CCC2012 thread and, as I have reached certain conclusions about route, timing and structure, to make this the main event update thread.

I have a dedicated e-mail address which should be used to raise specific points, acknowledge interest etc. citroenclassic@btopenworld.com so rather than clutter this thread with debate (and there will always be differing views) please do not hesitate to mail me.

The Facebook page should become the main point of reference, but the BXC is so closely linked it's unlikely to supercede this for many of us. This is THE club after all!

The next post should lay out all the relevant information for those contemplating taking part.
Last edited by Philip Chidlow on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

NOTE: See later revisions

WHEN?

The Event will start (for those wishing to team up together for the dash down to Gap) in Calais on the Wednesday 9th May 2012. Some may wish to take a more leisurely cruise down to the secondary start point, Gap.

The main part of the event will start with a day in/around the town of Gap with a Rally, where all the cars/teams can assemble and hopefully (if it goes to plan) meet up with French Citroen/Classic car club/s.

Then, on the morning of Sunday 13th May the teams start off for the Alp crossings. The Col du Galibier is the preferred option, as we missed doing it (except for the Green Tigers) last time.

The event will finish in Calais at a venue yet to be decided on the evening of Wednesday 16th May.

HOW MANY TEAMS?

I want to limit this to 30 teams. I acknowledge this is arbitrary but there are reasons for deciding upon a limit. If support proves massively bigger than I expected, then I reserve the right to increase this a tad, closer to the time.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?

Each team is self-funded. I will require £20 from each team to cover costs. It is hoped that camping and sleeping in cars will help keep the costs down, but be aware this will cost a few hundred*.

*I'm reckoning all in, with fuel and camping 2/3 of the time, but utilising a free crossing with Tesco vouchers, about £775 for a team in a petrol BX). Less for DERVists. So a team of two in a TZD Turbo might manage £400 a head - not bad value IMHO). And the best bit is: we've got over 18 months to save for it.

And that's it for now. Phil
Last edited by Philip Chidlow on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

OK, it's still 17 months away but I have eight people 99% sure, another eight probables and five maybes. Please just let me know if you are seriously considering taking part. I will be planning a meet in the Spring/Summer next year with all entrants or interested parties (no particular reason, just a social thing - although there will be an entry form and fee to pay :roll: :D )...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I know some have said they're doing it, but over the coming couple of months, I'd like to start building a list of highly probable entrants. This is because I will need to work with Mike E. on the camping side of things and make sure we block book if that option is open to us.

Anyone interested in taking part; e-mail me at - citroenclassic@btinternet.com

Give me an idea of how probable it is as a percentage maybe!

Thanks

Phil
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Re: The Citroën Classic Challenge 2012 event news

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Check out the Facebook page for some updates and some camping info.

Also www.philibusters.org is a useful port of call.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Post removed as information now out of date.
Last edited by Philip Chidlow on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi everyone,

I have been doing some thinking, talking it over with Phil B, and I have decided there's a slight flaw in the plan.

Nothing too serious so don't panic! But essentially the problem is this:

Imagine you have joined the route at, say Orléans, having used the Cherbourg crossing. As the plans are at the moment, in order to complete the event and attend the end of event bash in - or near - Calais, you are then faced with a 300 mile drive back to Cherbourg for your return crossing. Similar situations apply to anyone participating who hasn't used Calais as their port of call. Similarly Jaba and Todd - and others (I know a couple of Normandy residents might take part for instance) will find Calais an inconvenience as a venue for the 'end' of the event.

So, in order to accommodate those who do not need to return to Calais (and who would under normal circumstances unless you were crossing there?), I have decided to suggest a modification.

Essentially I think the event should end in Alsace, after we have exited the Jura Mountains. This also means that some might choose to spend a little longer making their way home.

For Day Seven, we will have the drive to Mulhouse for lunch and the early afternoon will be taken up by a visit to the Schlumpf museum http://www.collection-schlumpf.com/en/schlumpf

Then it's an afternoon drive to our Tuesday 15th May stop-over... As it stands I have the venue as 'around Epinal' but we should consider a venue for our end-of-event dinner, and have it on that evening. Then everyone can go either back to Calais, cut across to Caen, journey back to Germany, the Alps etc.. (I might even head back to Brussels with my mate Owen who will possibly be my co-driver as Phil B will be in another Citroën. The Philibusters team is growing lol!).

Phil
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Just a quick note to say the event's planning if bubbling along, but in the spirit of a loose organisation, only the start and finish points for each day are being firmly established. There will be a 'default' route - a mere suggestion - for teams to follow, but I actively encourage teams exploring alternatives.

Keep your eyes on the Facebook page as mentioned in previous posts, as that will be updated over the coming year.

However, because some don't 'do' Facebook I will repeat important information on here. Obviously I will be in touch with interested parties via e-mail (if you want to be on th elist and you haven't already sent me your e-mail address, please do).

The next thing will be an update on accommodation options, something I'd like to get sorted by the end of the Summer.

In the meantime the plaque. There are three forms: Large, Medium and Small as before (depending upon application). Here's the large one...

messerschmitt owner
BXpert

Post by messerschmitt owner »

bought my car for the event - so I have choice of diesel XM 2.1TD or 1600 TRS Auto BX.
Citroen XM 2.1TD SX hatchback
Citroen XM 2.1TD VSX estate
Smart Roadster
Fiat Punto Cabriolet
Messerschmitt Kr200
Bond minicar mk C
Fiat 126 Bis
BX-less at the moment!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Yet to decide what to use, it will probably be a BX, or a ZX, or maybe even a GS! :shock:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

12 months to go....
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

What's that in hours! :o
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Assuming a 9am start:

Click here for a countdown

:lol:

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Shouldn't that be 12 months? :D :?

Nice one though :)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Classic Challenge 2012
Entry forms now e-mailed out. If you haven't received one and want one, contact me here! Phil