Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD! A new home

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Mk1 BX 19RD Estate RHD! A new home

Post by Dollywobbler »

So, it's home. Here's the story.

This Mk1 BX 19RD estate appeared on Classic Cars For Sale. I expressed an interest, as did many on here, with Richard getting first dibs. He then got first dibs on the 19GT in Northants and after I sent him a PM asking if he'd reconsider on the estate, he graciously agreed and I went to view it. Thanks also to Chris "Ren16tx" for letting me jump the 'dibs' queue.

So, here's what I discovered.

The BX had been sitting in this garage for about three years. Sadly, it had been side-swiped while parked on the road. It was stashed away and a Xantia replaced it while insurance shenanigans ensued. They came to nought (uninsured driver) and eventually the car was put on the market.

Despite being in quite poor condition, I was well aware of its rarity, so a deal was done. Today, I hitched up a borrowed car trailer to my trusty(ish) Range Rover, engaged the assistance of one Mat Fenwick and off we headed, with a boot full of tools.

The car had been stored on blocks, which was helpful in terms of suspension and tyres. This also meant that we had a head start if it wouldn't run. Jump leads were attached and after a few quick bursts of starter to get the oil circulating, we warmed the glow plugs and crossed our fingers! After a few coughs, she finally roared into life, though perhaps only on three cylinders and with a notable reluctance. To be expected - some pumping on the filter housing seemed to help.

Here she is after being eased out onto the street.

If Mat (in the background) looks a bit rough, blame too much red wine and celebrations from winning the local pub quiz the night before... (thankfully I don't drink!)

With the car home, I could take a proper look at the issues. One of the biggest is the tailgate. When it was sideswiped, the tailgate got caught and it's actually distorted the nearside hinge mounting. Even Citroen would baulk at panel gaps like this.

The interior is pretty shambolic, with Mk2 door trims. I'll clean it up as best I can for now.

I love this...

This looks nasty.

As does this...

This really isn't too good either.

Plan is to give her a wash tomorrow, and try and find out what she needs to scrape an MOT. Back end isn't rising up and I suspect the LHM is low. There has been a slight leakage from the rear, but at least the fluid looks nice!
Last edited by Dollywobbler on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 10 times in total.
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

That will polish out. In all seriousness good save, well done. :) =D>
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Good luck Ian, that will keep you busy!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Oh, should add big thanks to Mr Fenwick. His assistance was certainly appreciated. Sorry I made you wait so long for lunch! (only for the cafe to get the order wrong and run off with his food to make him wait longer!)
ren16tx
This weeks BX legend
This weeks BX legend

Post by ren16tx »

WELL DONE ^^ ^^
GSA X1,GSA estate, GSA PALLAS C-matic,Simca 1100,Renault 16TX auto, yellow Visa super E, wanted mk1 bx!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

=D> =D> =D>
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Well done Ian in rescuing this ^^bx> =D> =D> !

There's nothing wrong with it, what a tub of 'Isopon' P38/45 can't put right !

Ask 'Jackass' he's a Master with it apparently :wink:

If you require a NICE Grey single spoke steering wheel to replace the grotty one that it currently has , PM me !

I'm sure I may still have one stashed away in the garage somewhere [-o<

:lol:

Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Oooh, thanks. A new steering wheel is definitely on the wish list.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, well done Ian. Needs a bit of TLC!

Hopefully you can bash that rear wing out by removing the wheel and getting in there with a hammer.

Have you had a look underneath yet? Look forward to running updates..
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

A couple more photos...

Ian practising his reversing

Always be wary of a car with a suspiciously clean engine

The moment it burst(?) into life!
Last edited by mat_fenwick on Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Good save! I like that.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks Mat. That reversing was a right pain - literally. My calf muscle is twice the size now. Would have helped if the Range Rover's clutch wasn't trying to fail...

I've just fired her up again, added some fluid and had a quick drive back and forth. Seems pretty good really. Had a glance underneath - pretty solid but there is rot on the RH rear door shut and a lot of patching that side already (looking very solid though, so a nice job). Water is peeing out of the furry rad, so trying to get the one on Ebay at the moment. Just given it a wash so when it's dry, it'll be replacing my 2CV in the garage so I can get the wheels off and have a proper nose about.

I absolutely love it, but I can see this being a costly labour of love. How often the words 'save' and 'expense' go together! Have had lots of offers of bits from folk, some for free, so that'll help.
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Those front spheres have got a bit of 'antique patina!'

What's the state of the piping then Ian? And also the rear crossmember that runs under the bumper ( as I pointed out in another thread there's a new one available)?

Yes, a labour of love is beginning! :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Well, not checked the pipes yet, but there is a weep at the RH rear somewhere. Just a dribble, but that's enough! The estate extension panel is not bad, but I guess I could discover some real horrors once the rear bumper comes off.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Dollywobbler wrote:Oooh, thanks. A new steering wheel is definitely on the wish list.
It's not quite so simple :( the Mk1 wheel comes complete with column and has to be separated at the UJ down in the footwell.

I have to say I admire your courage for taking this car on, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have, not with the amount of body damage and rust.
The only way I would attempt this would be to find a decent Mk2 estate and swap everything over, OK it wouldn't be a genuine MK1 but I would end up with a car I liked for less money than having to pay an expert to sort out it's body issues.