Red TZD with free snow chains!

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
crb
BXpert
My Cars: BX 1.9D Meteor
Saab 9-3 1.9TD Estate

Red TZD with free snow chains!

Post by crb »

spotted on the bay of eee's

17 TZD
Colin - Returning to BX's for the challenge.

BX19 TGD Meteor 1991
Willy
BXpert

Post by Willy »

Item location: Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire
Maybe it's to show that the Clarkson-Cameron-Murdoch Chipping Norton set that they really don't need a Range Rover or X5 for when the weather gets harsh :)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

I've already had to break into the new central heating fund for house repairs this month, but screw it, this is too good not to at least follow up.

Depending on what answer I get/how high the bidding goes, may try to zip over at the weekend to take a look in daylight. Have contacted the seller, but if anyone local plans to take a look for interest and is willing to 'share', I'd be everso very grateful for any feedback.

I am serious here, to the point that I've already lined up a friend as a taxi to collect it if a) it's a good 'un b) I win ...

Anyone want a Xsara 2.0 HDI?!
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Hmm, may be having second thoughts here - "too good to be true" usually is.

Seller has got back to me, they cannot trace any service history, including last cam belt change, and I ain't so much as turning the key in any BX unless I know the belt's been changed in the last 50K! - which severely limits potential for checking it over on Sat before bidding (auction ends Sun). Although the photos seem to match up with the low mileage listed, the lack of service history makes me a bit suspicious about that as well ...

Thoughts/opinions anyone? Worth a punt, or not worth the risk ...
Mickey taker
Over 2k

Post by Mickey taker »

not as good as service history but any old mot's to support the mileage ?
1991 BX Meteor 1.6

light travels faster than sound, thats why you look intelligent and then you spoil it all by opening your mouth !!!!!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Caffiend wrote:Thoughts/opinions anyone? Worth a punt, or not worth the risk ...
First thing I do on any car I buy that I will keep is do a full service, inc filters and cambelt and tensioner anyway, so I start a fresh and know everything is done.

You can check the mileage on the DVLA MOT log to see if its genuine?

http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/j ... equest.jsp
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I certainly wouldn't worry about checking it over with a suspect cambelt, as it it does fail (before purchase) then it's not your problem...

Even if it is overdue, there's a world of difference (in terms of strain on the belt) between high revs/hard acceleration and a gentle pootle. So if you bought it, you'd have to be VERY unlucky for it to go on your way back home if treated appropriately.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

''Been asked if there is any rust on the car, all seems fine, sills, A pillers and front doors all look good from what i can see.''

No mention of the back doors, I wonder why :?: :wink:
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Good call on the MOT advice, cheers! - I didn't know you could run your own search as long as you had V5 info. I'm more worried about the lack of service history than mileage really, I've seen TZDs at quarter of a million miles and still going strong.

I was exaggerating slightly about the cam belt - I know I wouldn't be liable if it snapped while I was checking the car, but it would be embarrassing :lol: . I have someone I trust absolutely lined up to help me out with a detailed 'snagging' report and changing fluids/filters if I do buy. I'm OK with basic theory now, but so unco-ordinated with the practical stuff (are guys born with instinctive knowledge of using ratchets or something, because I actually find them more difficult than regular socket or spanner). As there is no cam belt history at present would certainly get that done too. Despite it being *cough* 20 years since I was in the trade I vividly remember the tears of the unlucky. Often literally, it's a 'spensive thing to go wrong - who'd be a service receptionist?

Although I am still grasshopper green, I think I know rust when I see it and will check under the boot carpet too - and refresh my memory on the (excellent) 'what to look for' thread (mutters about wheel arches and rear arm bearings and taking a torch ... there'll be other stuff I can't think of right now on that lovely list!)

Obviously not the only one interested as not all those queries were mine, but feeling a little more positive about it now and (unless the bidding goes up stupid high in next 24h or so) will surely go and kick the tyres on Sat (and ask to see the V5 so I can check MOT history) - and put my bid in then if it looks like a hopeful.

Thanks a lot for input everyone.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Caffiend wrote:are guys born with instinctive knowledge of using ratchets
Don't think so, I still occasionally struggle for half an hour or so trying to get the "f*@%$#g thing undone!" only to realise I'm actually trying to tighten it…. :oops:
The way I look at it, none of us are born with any skills or knowledge, it's just what we are fortunate enough to pick up on the way through life. I imagine that gender stereotypes mean there's less opportunity for the opposite sex to get those experiences but leaving that aside I think it comes down to enjoyment. If you enjoy tinkering you're likely to get more practice, and hence become good at it. That's my aim anyway!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

Ha ha - I can remember righty-tighty lefty-loosey on screws/bolts etc, but am apparently semi-ambidextrous with tools and can never remember which way to move whichever hand I'm using - total lack of co-ordination like I said. I am getting braver about taking things apart - hey, if it's not working already, what's the worst that could happen? :lol:

Think you're spot on with the stereotyping thing - all girl household apart from Dad and Mum thought his vintage car stuff was all nasty and dirty and dangerous, so it was always 'don't touch'. Though to be fair, she was very patient about him commandeering the dining room to rebuild the engine.

Hope to take a look-see Sat pm.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Did you look at this? Are you bidding?
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

I did (look and bid), and will post detailed feedback in ... checks nice red ebay numbers ... just over 27 minutes!

Before I do, and very importantly, a big thank you to Tim (Roverman) for helping me with 'reality checking' (via PM as seller said that 95 people were watching this auction :shock: ) - so nice to have confirmation that most of what I was thinking was along the right lines, from someone way more experienced (and a few things I hadn't thought of).

EDIT: It's gone to someone else. Hopefully a good home.

Why not me? Whilst I do not expect a 19 year old car to need nothing doing, there's a fair amount needs spending relatively urgently and the cost of the car + almost immediately essential repairs would (in my admittedly inexperienced estimate) come to well over a grand.

The goods: car as described, very tidy, engine is sweeeet and no leaks. Forgot to take a mirror (dammit!) but underside looked good, hard to tell with just the maglite though. Seller freely admitted that he's not a Citroen expert (confirmed by his helpfulness in getting boot carpet up :lol: - see below)

The rest:
- o/s/f suspension sphere definitely shot, other corners bounce back OK though
- because (according to service book found - no invoices though) it's only done about 10K miles in 6 years, I have my doubts about the rear brakes: no evidence of 'disc shine' when peering through the rear wheel with the maglite!
- n/s/f tyre nearly bald, rest on borrowed time - and the difference between the two fronts makes me wonder about TREs
- and the showstopper in terms of me not wanting to put up another 350+ quid to win it - nice big hole and daylight in one of the usual places - n/s/r boot.

There were other things of course, but none critical (that I found anyway!) and wasn't taking them into account of 'total cost'.

I really hope it has gone to an enthusiast with more money than me, and I think they've probably got themselves a nice car there - new owner: if you are on here, would be interested to hear about it!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Not bad money, but not cheap either.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Caffiend
Reluctant BXpert

Post by Caffiend »

This time next year I would have gone for it, as I should be in a position to do so much more myself then (halfway through 3-year IMI qualifications, instead of only 6 months in - and this first year is so much more theory than practical, all useful, but my overalls have barely an oil stain in sight yet!).