White Citroen BX Gti 16 valve 1988 56k on eBay

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

White Citroen BX Gti 16 valve 1988 56k on eBay

Post by ellevie »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-BX-Gti-16 ... dZViewItem

"...has been tenderly looked after by myself. This car is in immaculate condition averaging approx 300 miles per year..."

I thought my average milage at 600 miles per year was low !
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

So it may have all of the normal problems associated with standing, groaning struts, grease turning to cheese, rubber parts perishing, or am I being cynical.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Nope... you're being quite accurate. Nothing kills a car like not being used, or only being used a little bit every now and then.

I never understand why someone would go to all the trouble of owning a car, taxing, MOT-ing and insuring it, to drive it only 300 miles in a year. Would be cheaper to use taxi's.
this might be a signature
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

My annual walkage is almost twice as much as my mileage. I could easily do without a car; I went for 3 years once with only a bicycle. I think there's a sense of freedom in owning a car; just knowing that you can head for the hills at a moment's notice. Think of how the people with no cars in New Orleans must have felt when they realised the wolf was comming for real ! Or maybe it's just knowing that you can drive around aimlessly if you want to. Most of my mileage these days consists of going 2 or 3 times a week to the supermarket, a round trip of about 3 miles. I just wouldn't feel right about going shopping for groceries in a taxi. And then there is simply the occasional pleasure of driving, especially in a Citroen !
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

I wonder what would happen if a brand new car was stored in a garage for 15 years. Would the rubber and plastic harden with age ? Would the electrical contacts and connections oxidise and tarnish with age and would the bearings dry out ? There was a BX14RE with only 17k on the clock just before Christmas which went for about £650. I wonder was this really a good bargain considering that I paid over £2000 for my 19TRS at 4 years old @ 65k ?
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

ellevie wrote:I wonder what would happen if a brand new car was stored in a garage for 15 years. Would the rubber and plastic harden with age ? Would the electrical contacts and connections oxidise and tarnish with age and would the bearings dry out ?
I doubt it... the problem comes when a car has been used for a bit... there's then a little oil on the rubber components, some moisture in the bearings, and some damp in the wiring. If it's then left to stand, it all deteriorates. I think if you were to buy a brand new car, drain it of all fluids, and then dry store it, it would probably be fine.
this might be a signature