softening the ride

BX Tech talk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

softening the ride

Post by Philip Chidlow »

As my BX GTi auto is used as a general family transport around our increasingly pot-holed roads and my front spheres (at least) are due for a recharge/replacement, I was thinking about putting slightly softer spheres on it. I know it sounds a daft question, but as I know there are varying levels of 'softness' in the range, and I wondered what the next 'level' down would be? I believe TZD spheres are not GTi hard. Am I right?

What should I be asking for when getting these replacements? And - importantly - am I making a mistake? Should I stick with GTi spheres?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

TZD and GTi 8v spheres are the same.

Go for some 1.6/1.9 (non gti) spheres. I regret now putting new TZD/GTi spheres on mine. I want a more 'Citroenesque' ride quality that these spheres give.

The GTi auto will be ready for some spheres if we keep it after its MOT runs out and that will have the 1.6/1.9 spheres put on it.
Over and out from me
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

BX front 16/19/D - saloon/hatch - 500cc/55bar/1.80mm - Cit 95.630.572 - Lizarte BX55FC - GSF N45308.
A good general sphere fitting on front for a pot hole eater and very comfy ride.
I have this type fitted to both my turboEstate and BX16hatch.

Even better : ask for a BX "comfort" sphere type. They will provide even softer ride and eat more potholes - NOT giving a jerky ride.
If you want a jerky ride - then try fit BX14 standard spheres :lol:
(been there ... )
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

'Comfort'. I like the sound of that.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

'Comfort' does sound good....but where can we get these? I've even tried getting them for my even more 'in need of comfort spheres' for my Xa*tia.....IFHS swear Euro Car Parts do them but they've never heard of them in Cardiff..Anyone know?
(CZ)enda
Confirmed BX'er

Post by (CZ)enda »

Turning the standard non-GTi spheres to "Comfort" ones is, actually, very easy. I had this done when I had my spheres recharged.
He just drilled bigger hole, i.e. increased its diameter to that used before 1985 (I am not sure about the exact year, but it should be easy to find the data in the IFHS table - the company still makes these "softer" spheres).
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Coincidentally I have just fitted some standard GSF N45308 to my TZD.
While they are obviously better than the flat ones they replaced they are I think a better bet than the harder standard ones for general use.

So thank you GSF for giving me the wrong ones.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Surely wont the comfort spheres make it handle like a hippo on skates and roll alarmingly!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I think compromise is the thing here. I reckon next level down in softness would be OK. My suspension chap says he'll fit standard 1.6/1.9 spheres for me to try out. If I don't like them we can always change back.
M

Post by M »

My two penn'orth, I have BX estate spheres front & back on the BX saloon and the ride is superb, sure I cant cane it into corners like I could the ZX but its a compromise and the ride suits me. The Xantia has HDi / TD saloon fronts and TD Estste rears - again the ride is good and passenger comfort superb but handling on the twisty stuff does suffer a bit.

Its all a matter of preference, El Presedente has some 16V spheres on his and lowered his ride height a bit too, not my cup of Bovril, but makes the cars stance more sporty and Jon seems to be happy with the ride.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

HAHA!

BX Bandit: You're entering a world of pain!

Love that film!
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

tim leech wrote:Surely wont the comfort spheres make it handle like a hippo on skates and roll alarmingly!
Nope -
The arb is responsible for anti-roll. The spheres are only to a lesser degree responsible for anti-roll - as there are no restrictions for the hydraulic fluid flowing from one side to the other.
I.e. exactly like a standard sprung car.

By drilling up the center bore - you will not change the "pothole behaviour" - only the floating of the suspension. The center bore is not responsible for the damping - only the low frequency boating or floating of the car. This means that by careful drilling you can in fact adjust the suspension much to your personal soft ride wishes.

The damper valve is the one that opens for a higher flow capacity (like a shocker) when you have one of those harsh suspension excursions from a pothole. This valve can not be altered - unless you replace the sphere for another type which will have this valve calibrated differently.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Kitch this is not 'nam this is bowling there are rules....mark it zero
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

:lol:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)