Bumper trim

Anything about BXs
Tourist
BXpert

Bumper trim

Post by Tourist »

Not strictly about a BX but the bumper trim, mine was tatty so i took it off, most of the black stuff just peeled off (a lot was already coming away, or already missing) but some remains, and I'm not sure how to get it off. I want to get it all off so I can spray the metal itself, and then stick the trim back on.

I've tried white spirit, a chisel, and lastly some sand paper, none have worked, what should I try?

Before anyone points out that I have no idea what I'm doing, I completely agree :?
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Sand paper mate, sand it down smooth and spray it black, get some wet and dry and some black spray paint from halfords etc.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Good Luck

Its easier to just get a replacement set or just get some Trim Tape and cover the holes in the bumper. I took the rear ones of mine with the same intention...they still sit in the garage. However I like this alternative.

Offcuts from the reflective material used on emergency vehicles :lol:
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I'd like to get hold of the silver versions of the black one's, i think they make the cars look nicer. There was a set for sale on e-bay, but they wanted daft money.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

In the past I've just used black plastic insulating tape to cover the strips. Looks OK and lasts about 3 years.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Philip Chidlow wrote:In the past I've just used black plastic insulating tape to cover the strips. Looks OK and lasts about 3 years.
I did just the same as you Philip, when this problem occurred to my first BX DTR Turbo bumper trim strip's .

After removing them from the bumper I warmed up the remains of the black trim on the strips (Do not melt) with an electric hot-air gun, if you don't have one you can use a Hairdryer that should still get the black trim soft enough to enable you to cut off the black trim remnants from the strips with a Stanley knife !
Usual H&S rules apply of course, Leather work gloves so you don't burn yourself and watch your finger's etc. with the blade of the Stanley knife !

Then clean off any residue of glue/bonding with Cellulose Thinners (Usual H & S apply when using this type of solvent) and then allow to dry for 2 to 3 minutes,
I then covered the strips with a good quality black insulation tape and folded the edges over the rear face.
The ends just need a bit more attention to them so as to get a good two-way fold on them before folding the edges over onto the rear face of the strips (You'll need to put a chamfer on each corner of the tape to allow for a neat two-way fold) you may also need to try this out a couple of times first to know how big/small to make the chamfer before your happy with the appearance/result.
Also make sure the trim clip's are positioned in the correct place as you may to need to cut the insulation tape slightly on the rear face just around the clips (Dependent on the the tape width) and that can be a little fiddly !
When all done then just pop the trims back on the bumper !

Should hopefully look as good as new ones if you've applied, folded and cut the insulation tape neatly.
Saves painting them :D
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Without a seven page essay, i did the same with my car, and simply heated the paint with a blow torch, then plunged it into cold water, lifted all the plastic off by the second attempt. I then repainted with automotive spray (a Rover colour), and varnished (cheapo automotive top lac)
RxBX
Over 2k

Re: Bumper trim

Post by RxBX »

Vanny wrote:Without a seven page essay,
Point taken Vanny !
But it was mainly for young Jame's guidance, I'll just PM him future, after all he placed the posting and did state :-
Tourist wrote: Before anyone points out that I have no idea what I'm doing, I completely agree :?
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

The rubberised bumper trim strips as fitted to the front bumpers of later estates are a lot less trouble to maintain.... though of course the rear bumpers are totally different,so you can't substitute these.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
rhv100
Confirmed BX'er

Post by rhv100 »

Yes...rear bumper trim. Mine disappeared despite being held by about
8 clips.

30 squid from Citroen. Must be the most expensive bit of rubber in history!

Richard.
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

This will sound strange, but I don't have access to a hair dryer or anything similar, I was hoping the solution would be more along the lines of dissolving the glue with spirits, or something like that.

I did try to use my mums one today but she was out, the best I can do for now is stick them in the sun which I really don't think will work.

Given the situation I could just paint over them as they are ... I don't think it'll look too bad, but I like to get things done properly if I can!

Thanks for your replies I now know what to do, it's just when I can do it :? if there's anyone near me who has some trim in better condition I have *a bit* of money, maybe I could buy them?

Edit: yours looks quite cool kiwi :)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Tourist wrote:This will sound strange, but I don't have access to a hair dryer or anything similar,
After meeting you James I can quite well believe it :lol:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

You can get a butane torch from any DIY shop for less than a tenner.
Does the same job, but MUCH faster. Just keep the heat moving.

I would point out all the H&S related garb with using stuff that emits a VERY hot flame at one end, but really, if anyone is that lacking in common sense they need this info then they really shouldn't be allowed anywhere near anything at all ever..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

if anyone is that lacking in common sense they need this info then they really shouldn't be allowed anywhere near anything at all ever

Ah yes: that standard lowest common denominator person around whom so many Health and Safety and liability warnings are based..... the darling of the ambulance-chasers and "no win no fee" brigade.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Some of the trims on my bumpers are well dented, bashed, twisted and generally mangled about. Can't remember which now, it's either front or rear........... :lol: :roll:

I remember seeing some years ago a self adhesive roll of body trim that used to come in slightly different styles but was very attractive. Has anyone ever tried fitting that to the bumpers in place of the original trim?

EDIT,

Ah yes just found it on t'internet. Comes in 3, 6 and 8mm widths. Called chrome self adhesive detailing trim. At GBDriver.co.uk and also Demon Tweaks. Probably elsewhere as well.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.