Sticky struts - where do I put the lube eh?

BX Tech talk
Wooscary
BXpert

Sticky struts - where do I put the lube eh?

Post by Wooscary »

I know this has been asked many times before, and I've searched for
a definitive answer, but where exactly do I lube to attempt to get a bit more life out of my front struts.

The nearside one is grumbling quite a lot.

Photographs would be great if anyone has any.

Thanks

Martin
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

The only way I have found succesfull on my TGD Auto is with an oil can pumpimg some LHM into the strutt return pipes every couple of months, my slightly higher mileage TZD has never had dry struts yet so I assume are self lubing/leaking?
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

You need to pull off the strut return hoses and plonk them in a jamjar full of LHM and do some citro-eaerobics!.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
rmattila
BXpert

Post by rmattila »

Roverman wrote:You need to pull off the strtut return hoses and plonk them in a jamjar full of LHM and do some citro-eaerobics!.
I'd start by setting the suspension at max height, taking the return hose assembly off the strut, feeding a thin hose through the connection hole of the strut as deep down as it goes and pulling the saltwater sauce away with an injection syringe or similar, and only then continue with the lhmrobatics.

It may be different in the UK, though - I suppose the roads are in better shape there (no frost bumps etc.) and the amount of salt they use on the highways during winter time is somewhat more sensible. Here, if the return hose happens to crack during the cold season (when the cracking usually occurs), it will not take long for the strut to be full of saltwater. And that's the root cause for sticking struts due to the suboptimal positioning of the return hose connection.

Edit: some piccies of the design:
http://www.rmattila.com/images/remontit ... ppa_avaus/
Speechless quad lying flat on his bed, communicating by moving eyes.
BX Van 1.9D -90 Gone.
BX Van 16S -90 For sale.
BX Van 1.9D -90 (Earned!) Gone.
BX Break 1.9D -90 (officially a "5 seat van" since 2005) Waiting to be towed to a new home.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I think you wouldnt need to do worry about the salt too much, but a useful explanation though.

I think theres a few other posts in the technical forum about people who have done this, myself included and it made some improvement.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

Thanks for the thoughts gents.

I've not worked on the suspension system at all, and without looking at the car (it's too cold and wet), is it obvious where the returns are, easy to remove etc?
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

They feed from the Strutt leg across to the inner wing, the pull of very easily from the inner wing (you only need to remove one)
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

Heres the link to the advice/description on this site

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/diy/struts/ I ... bber hose.
1991 BX TGD Saloon
1990 VW T25 Camper. Currently on sabbatical
anaconda
BXpert

Post by anaconda »

I found it much easier with the wheels off, one at a time. The end of the rubber pipes were easier to get off that way (pulled off the end furthest from the struts).

So the wheel is off held on a jack/axle. Suspension is on low setting with engine on. Pull the end of rubber pipe from their fixing and plonk the open end into a cup/jar of LHM. Then put your suspension on high and as the car rises watch the green stufff being sucked up the rubber hose! When the cars at full height - refix the rubber hose.

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/diy/struts/[/url]
1991 BX TGD Saloon
1990 VW T25 Camper. Currently on sabbatical
frog
BXpert

Post by frog »

The struts on my 16 Valve and TZi felt much better after I greased them up.
I put the car on maximum height setting a chocked up under the front subframe. Don't have to take the wheel off.
I then "popped" the bottom of the rubber strut boot up and compressed it all the way to the top with one hand.
You can then stick your finger up between the compressed rubber boot and strut to feel the "slider" at the top of the strut.
I cleaned this with a clean rag and then used a copious amount of grease to lube up the "slider".
Then slid the strut boot back down and popped it back into place.
Then proceeded to do some citroerobics (down, up, down, up etc..)

I've never tried the clean LHM trick.
1989 Citroën BX 16v
1993 Citroën BX 16v project
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

anaconda wrote:Pull the end of rubber pipe from their fixing and plonk the open end into a cup/jar of LHM. Then put your suspension on high and as the car rises watch the green stufff being sucked up the rubber hose! When the cars at full height - refix the rubber hose.

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/diy/struts/[/url]
I know it says replace the pipe with the strut full in the article but I think you are taking a risk with the octopus by blasting a full strutsworth of LHM through it when the car descends. Only very light returns are normally expected through this route. Better to exhaust the dirty stuff back into a jar before reconnecting the pipe.
1991 BX19GTi Auto