Scoop! Lost tribe of Citroens living in Lincolnshire woods.

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Scoop! Lost tribe of Citroens living in Lincolnshire woods.

Post by Paul296 »

About ten years ago I was about to buy a 2.1TD XM when the available funds had to be; 'reallocated due to unforeseen circumstances' (what's new!?). Although that particular deal fell through, the vendor - a bloke who heretofore shall be known as 'Syd' - showed me round what can only be described as a staggering collection of Citroen motor cars, all in various states of repair and disrepair. Subsequently, whenever I've driven across that particular strip of Lincolnshire I've wondered if the collection was still there - ten years ago I was told by Syd it was all being cleared 'in the next few months' at the behest of 'SWMBO'.

Anyway, Tim and I headed over to NT Shaws in Louth today to pick up a couple of Mk.1 mirrors for his DTR, and those cheapy Purflux filters (they've still got a shed load of NOS BX parts over there btw). On the way, I suggested a quick detour to see if the mythical wood full of Citroens was still there. We drove up and down the village's main drag a few times, but seeing nothing untoward decided that they must have headed to the scrappers years ago. The satnav pointed us back in the right direction, and as we turned the appointed corner, a 2CV a C5 and what was obviously an XM undercover could be seen spilling out of a gateway. After a short reconnaissance mission (running along a hedge jumping up and down) it was clear that this was indeed the place; the wood that formed Syd's back garden was positively infested with old Citroens - still.

To cut along story short we went and banged on the door, thinking the worst that could happen was that we would be told to clear off. In the event Syd appeared, was more than accommodating and gave us a quick tour. There must have been close on 30 cars out in the open, more complete and valuble cars in lock ups, plus enough parts to make a fair few more, if all the bits hadn't been rusty - which many were.

I expect Tim will be along at some point to give you the low down on the BXs (one was quite rare apparently), but here's a few pics that represent the 'tip of the iceberg'. I expect we'll be arranging a return visit at some point when Syd has a bit more time - everything appeared to be 'for sale'.

Last but not least Tim's TZi at NT Shaws. All in all a pretty good day. On the way home however, it spoiled itself by raining. Even a Kit-Kat and a cup of coffee wasn't enough to ameliorate Tims distress on behalf of the lovely TAL 91S! :D
Last edited by Paul296 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BX Meteor
BXpert

Post by BX Meteor »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Tim already mentioned it, but words cannot describe the pictures in that find

It just does look like a Lost Tribe :!: :!: :!:

Would he accept a visitation from a group to worship them ?

(if I get a chance to go and look, I'll get a "round thing" for Mick)
Gibbo2286
BXpert

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Local authorities (and wives :D ) must be very lenient over there, that lot here would have had the council baying for his blood years ago, their spy who goes around peering over fences and hedges for planning violations would have a field day.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Not much else to add to that, as per the other post the 3 BX's on site were

1988 19RD in Magnetic Blue, spares car or if someones brave!, the paintwork will be f*cked with all that birdshite! Im told engine and box were good when it drove in to the woods (in 2002)

1990/1 16TGS Athena, spares car, im told it runs and drives but has parts missing.

1986/7 "D" 19RD, in Ivory with beige interior, complete, currently MOT'ed, runs and drives fine and in very solid condition, only 85'000 miles and obvioulsy a real rarity in the colour combo now. Price £350 ish, one for a collector.

Any interested parties please contact me, I have Syd's number, he's a very accomodating fella, but is 83 and not as mobile as he once was, so I imagine any parts you want you would need ro remove yourself and I would suggest making a firm time/date to visit.

Theres a visa (pictured) where the front end has broken off, and a very early AX which looked sound, plus GS/ various CX's and XM,s a Mtra and a Lotus Elan hidden away.

Please someone buy the beige 19RD before I do :lol:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Tim's aged hasn't he. Don't think the cardie and beard do him any favours. :lol:
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Interesting - especially that nice RD. That seems a good price... doesn't it?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

mds141 wrote:Tim's aged hasn't he. Don't think the cardie and beard do him any favours. :lol:
Now now, that cardie was a present! must get the "just for men" out though!

That 19RD does seem good value.
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

What a fantastic collection. Just a shame there left rotting out in the elements.What condition were the Dyane or 2cv,s in Tim? any more pics?
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
saintjamesy89
1K Away
My Cars: 1985 Citroen BX19 GT
198x Citroen BX16 TRS auto
1988 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Hearse
1991 Saab 900 16v convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

If you go down to the woods today you're in for a big surprise...!

That looks very exciting and what a collection! But I pity all those poor cit's sitting unused in the woods.

I have decided I very much like phase 1 XM's (much to my partners dismay), maybe even to replace the astra as daily driver this year sometime. One or two of those look quite nice.
I'm not a Saint, or a James, but a Tom Saint-James!

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
2006 Lexus RX 400h SE hybrid
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

saintjamesy89 wrote:I have decided I very much like phase 1 XM's (much to my partners dismay), maybe even to replace the astra as daily driver this year sometime. One or two of those look quite nice.
Dont do it! unless you like using the BX alot or walking! :wink:
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Why not? Are they like CX's and break lots?

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

saintjamesy89 wrote:Why not? Are they like CX's and break lots?
If you cant mend them yourself I wouldnt, I do like them, especially the S1 cars but they are known to be very troublesome and quite expensive to mend if you have to use a garage!.
saintjamesy89
1K Away
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Post by saintjamesy89 »

Ah well, best stick to BX's and astra's for the time being then, at least until i'm more learned in DIY citroen-ness.

Mes voitures:
1985 Citroen BX19 GT
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

saintjamesy89 wrote:Ah well, best stick to BX's and astra's for the time being then, at least until i'm more learned in DIY Citroën-ness.
Indeed, the less ECU's the better! :lol:
Paul296
Over 2k
My Cars: Citroen BX 17 TZD Hurricane
Citroen BX 17 TGD

Post by Paul296 »

saintjamesy89 wrote:I have decided I very much like phase 1 XM's . . . One or two of those look quite nice.
You're in good company, and the phase 1 has by far the greater design integrity than the later facelift model in my opinion. Not quite as tricky as some might say (all the teething probs on the earlier cars have long been sorted by now - assuming they survived) But you'll need significantly deeper pockets to run one and keep it in good order than the much simpler BX - fantastic cars though and well worth the extra dosh and effort if you've got it.

The burgundy H reg 'Premiere' in the top pic is the car I test drove all those years ago - it was in pristine condition then. There's a black phase 2 2.5 TD under cover just in front of it. It's looks a bit sorry for itself now but was gleaming last time I saw it. I'm not sure what the silver one parked in the gateway is - probably a petrol - I seem to remember a V6.

Some of the more exotic stuff has gone now from what I remember. There were 'D' parts in the wood and a body shell if I remember right - there was definitely a complete 'Bijou' body shell that someone's obviously bagged - very rare. In the lock up is a Lotus (of somekind) and a Renault Alpina A310GT (nice car . . . for a Renault) There were two Matra Mureenas - there's now only one, plus a couple of Ds and some very nice (complete) CXs in the lock up - a lovely blue 22TRS I remember very distinctly! Most of the CXs and XMs ( I counted about 7 or 8 of each) are now definitely 'spares NOT repairs'. There's also a new C6 that has had to reside at a neighbours for lack of space!

It is a pity to see them all just rotting away - but what else do you do with that lot?! I'll probably see if I can go up there again some time soon and take a few more pics - it would be a shame not to have some sort of document before time and eternity take their dreadful toll! :(