Heater Tap/Control

BX Tech talk
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

I need the heat! Still chilly this side of the world, but am planning ahead...

I'll try the cable release and see if I can manually move the tap.
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

you dont need to remove the matrix to get the valve gear out,

but you would need to remove the valve gear to get the matrix out,

i found years ago on my old BX were the previous owner had applied the dogy pellet type rad weld several times, it had gatherd/collected in the heater valve like two oxo cubes,

for the first two years in my care she refussed to give me any heat at winter time, till i had removed the oxo cubes from the valve which is like two slews gates,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Citronut Wrote:

you dont need to remove the matrix to get the valve gear out,

but you would need to remove the valve gear to get the matrix out,

Thats interesting, I have a similar problem with little heat from the heater during this cold snap.

I have previously removed the matrix, removed all the springs in the tubes and flushed through, made no difference.

I have then thought the valve slider had broken, but not investigated that yet.

So if the valve can be removed without disturbing the matrix, will give it a go when the weather warms up..

picture may help.

citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

well im sure i have but looking at that picy i cant remeber how,

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

pushing the grommet through the bulkhead, and not forgetting to undo the little cross head screw gives enough jiggle room to remove the tap assembly without disturbing the matrix yes.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
nige
Confirmed BX'er

Post by nige »

Brian wrote:"What's that unusual keypad for under a cover to the left of the door open indicator? "

Hmm,
I will have to stop posting pictures on my posts, you guys are too observant.

In fact it's the head unit of a converted pmr transceiver, working on the amateur band.

But you made no comment on the tomato sauce bottle.
I am not giving the reason for that away !!!...
With the name of Brian with BX's and amateur radio I should have twigged!! Hello Grahams Dad!!
all i want for christmas is a dukla prague away kit

The fleet:
1992 Citroen BX 19TXD
1972 VW Camper
1969 Triumph Spitfire MKIII
1984 Kawasaki Z750
2002 Ibiza Seat
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Nigel,
PM sent,
andycadabra
BXpert

Re: Heater Tap/Control

Post by andycadabra »

My garage broke one of the heater tap pipes taking out the old engine four weeks ago and it's been a complete nightmare both for them and me, replacing it, in such a way that it works as it should, that is. The heat control which is stiffer and has less movement than before is basically not creating enough movement at the heater tap to fully close it, there needs to be 12 to 13 mm of movement and its only managing about 7 or 8.
The cables been adjusted to no avail, and with the heater tap together with 2 flap levers controlled by a push of a cable it's becoming hard to believe that it ever worked as well as it did..
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN
Birotor
BXpert

Post by Birotor »

BX 16 TGS 1992: My heater tap is very stiff. Are there any spares I should ensure are to hand before the job is done by a competent BX competent garage. I am not doing the job myself having just had my 76th birthday.....
1974 GS Birotor, 1972 GS 1220 FIA Gp 2, 1992 BX 16 TGS, 1951 Velo-Solex, 1953 NSU Max 250, 1972 Honda ST50, Daughter has 1990 BX14 TGE
Previously owned include 1983 BX14RE Leader, Porsche 924, 1972 Porsche 911T, 1973 Porsche Carrera RS 2.7 (FIA Group 4), 1974 Porsche Carrera RS 3.0 (FIA Group 4 ex Le Mans), 1969 911 T/R (FIA Group 3 ex Le Mans), 1981 Porsche Group B 3.3 litre World Endurance Championship, 1991 Footwork Arrows Porsche Formula 1 (ex Alboreto & Caffi),
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Birotor wrote:.... I am not doing the job myself having just had my 76th birthday.....
I should wait a bit then, until the effects of the Champagne have worn off. :lol: Happy Birthday. :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

based on Andy's experience, it might be worth having a set of the outlet pipes spare just in case. They vary from brittle to VERY brittle.
andycadabra
BXpert

Post by andycadabra »

Birotor wrote:BX 16 TGS 1992: My heater tap is very stiff. Are there any spares I should ensure are to hand before the job is done by a competent BX competent garage. I am not doing the job myself having just had my 76th birthday.....
Having just survived 6 weeks dominated by the rectification of a heater tap issue, I wouldn't blame anyone for putting it in the hands of the Citroen competent garage! My problem seems to have been soundproofing felt/foam coming unstuck and limiting the movement of the metal actuator part of the heater tap. Everything looked 0K from below but there's no other explanation.
If I were you I'd try bending the end inch of some coathanger wire to 90°, to see if there is a gap between the extremities of the actuator and the soundproofing foam above, in the various positions of the heater dial. If that's ok, you could try disconnecting the 2 rods that operate vents that are connected to the actuator - then if it is no longer stiff you know one of those is to blame. Another thing - the inner cable which must push the actuator in order to close the heater tap needs to be perfectly straight, and could be slightly bent at the actuator end, as mine was after trying to force it to close, but actually just bending the cable, and making the problem worse.
I ended up mending my original heater tap whose pipe was broken off by the garage, with some hose and a bit of copper plumbing pipe, so still have the one I bought to replace it, if anyone needs it.
1992 BX 17TZD 130k
1987 BX 16TRS SORN